A Little Gift

A Little Gift

            It was a quiet, peaceful morning for Luhan, asleep in his bed with his roommate Sehun in the other bed. Then, a low mumble, like a whisper, woke him up.

            han…Luhan…wake up…han…up…Luhan, wake up…

            “Hmm? Wha…” Luhan opened his eyes. Sehun was lying on Luhan’s bed right next to him. His eyes were looking into Luhan’s. “Sehun-ah? What time is it?”

            “8:00 A.M.”

            “8? Why so early…” Luhan’s eyes started closing again. Sehun his cheek, and Luhan opened his eyes slightly.

            “Wake up. I got something for you,” Sehun said. Luhan’s eyes opened wide and sparkled with excitement.

            “You got something for me? What is it?”

            “I bought this for you!” Sehun took out a small, blue toon deer on a key chain he was holding behind his back and showed it to Luhan.

            “Awww, it’s so cute!” Luhan said, ecstatic and joyful. “It’s a deer?”

            “Yes, just like your name means.”

            “I love it!” Luhan said with a bright smile. “But…it’s not my birthday. Why did you get me this?”

            “Don’t you remember?” Sehun answered. “It’s the first day of our anniversary after we debuted.”

            “Anniversary of what?”

            “When we first met, during our trainee years.”

            Luhan’s smile fell.

            “But…I didn’t get you anything…I forgot.” Luhan looked down with guilt.

            “It’s okay, Luhan,” Sehun said, gently Luhan’s hair behind the ear. “You didn’t have to get me anything.”

            “But…”

            “Don’t worry about it,” Sehun reassured.

            “But I don’t have anything to give you,” Luhan said shamefully.

            “Are you crying, Luhan?”

            “I didn’t get you anything…”

            “Give me a kiss,” Sehun proposed.

            “What?” Luhan looked up at Sehun.

            “Give me a kiss.”

            “A kiss?”

            “Just a kiss on the cheek.”

            “That’s enough?”

            “Yes.” Luhan looked at Sehun’s right cheek. He put his arms around Sehun’s shoulders and lifted his face toward Sehun’s. He pressed his lips against Sehun’s cheek and kissed him passionately. Sehun smiled and hugged him back.

            “Your cheek is soft,” Luhan remarked.

            “You mean you’ve never kissed my cheek before? You must have once or twice before.”

            “I don’t think so.” Luhan put his hands on both sides of Sehun’s face, feeling his cheeks. “Wait, where did my deer go?”

            “I’m still holding it.”

            “Oh. Where do you think I should put it?”

            “How about on that backpack you take with you everywhere?”

            “Okay. Get off of me for a second.” Luhan took the deer and walked to his white backpack sitting on the floor next to the bed. He took one of the zipper handles and attached the key chain to it. Sehun was still lying in the bed.

            “Where did you get it?” Luhan asked.

            “What? I—uh…”

            “You don’t remember where you bought it?”

            “I do, but…”

            “But what?”

            “I bought it in a store…for babies.”

            “For what?”

            “I bought it in Babies R Us.”

            Luhan looked at Sehun.

            “You mean that deer was meant to be a toy for babies?”

            “…Yes.” Luhan looked at the deer.

            “Well…I do like it.”

            “I knew you would. You are just like a baby.” Luhan looked back at Sehun.

            “But I’m older than you.” Luhan protested. “You didn’t feel like people were staring at you when you went in there?” he asked. Sehun sat up.

            “There were mostly women, no young fangirls. But yes, they did stare at me. Even the cashier asked me why I was buying a little deer. It felt so awkward.”

            “And you still bought it?”

            “Yes, because it was for you.” Luhan smiled shyly.

            “I feel like going back to sleep,” he said. Sehun lied back down on Luhan’s bed.

            “Are you going to sleep with me?” Sehun asked. Luhan nodded. But instead of being gentle, he jumped onto Sehun.

            “Aaaaacckkk!” Sehun groaned in pain as Luhan’s body crushed his. He strained to catch his breath. “Lu-han, that-hurt.”

            Luhan hugged Sehun and buried his head into his neck.

            “Happy anniversary, Sehun-ah! Thank you for the little deer. But I still love you more.”

            “Huff—uhh—happy anniversary, Luhan.”