Thread 16 – It ain’t easy. Never was.

Accidentally Fated

 

 

“This is the worst day ever,” Yuri complained in the dark as she tried to find the emergency call button.

“Like stuck with you here is not bad enough,” Yoona commented as she took her phone out and aided Yuri.

When they found the button, they pressed it frantically, hoping that someone will anwer them soon. But when they thought it could not get worst, it did. The call button is not working.

“Of course no signal,” Yuri said, thumping madly inside the lift as she moved to the back.

“Yup, mine too,” Yoona said, turning to face Yuri.

“The security should make a round check around midnight,” Yuri said, “so now we wait.

“We wait.” Yoona echoed as the uncomfortable silence started looming.

===

“Who are you?” Jessica continued to interrogate.

Tiffany remained perplexed. She found herself unable to move, or response for that matter.

“Who sent you?” Jessica said again, her voice stern.

That question started churning Tiffany’s numb mind. In a split second she regained her senses. Wanting to gain an upper hand, she pushed away Jessica, rather harshly even.

Jessica who stumbled a few steps backwards, was rather surprised by the sudden change of behavior from her captive. She was confused even more by her arrogant way of speaking, as if the previous scare cat was all but merely an act to throw her off.

“I’m Tiffany Hwang. And I’m working for nobody,” Tiffany offered her hand, a smirk playing on her face.

Without any regard to the hanging hand, Jessica just stare back at Tiffany, her expression cold and apathetic.

“Then why are you following me?”

Tiffany took a step forward, the devilish smile somehow makes her resembles goddess of evil more than goddess of love.

“Let’s say, I am interested,” Tiffany craned her neck, “in you.”

For an instant, they maintained their intense glare, before Jessica broke it, guffawing, hands on her stomach.

Tiffany detected the sarcasm in the sudden act. Jessica was mocking her.

“Okay, whatever. But let’s say, I am more interested in who ‘he’ is,” Tiffany continued, placing an emphasis on ‘he’.

Jessica stopped her laughing. She straightened herself and spoke in the coldest tone that Tiffany could imagine.

“So the girl from a few weeks back is with you.”

Tiffany tried to keep her façade. But Jessica’s increasingly threatening eyes was already halfway through in breaking Tiffany’s made-up attitude.

Then Jessica sighed.

“I don’t have any obligation to talk to you. So stop following me,” Jessica said half yelling as she took her stuff and walked out of the alley.

Out of Jessica’s sight, Tiffany let herself crumble a little – a small sigh followed by drooping of her shoulder. She took deep breath – twice – before gaining back her composure and followed Jessica out.

“Hey, hey.”

“What,” Jessica replied back, indifferent.

“Let me guess, ‘he’ is an ex-boyfriend isn’t it?”

Jessica scoffed. She arrived at the side of the road and waved her hand, calling a taxi, while her other hand was busy texting.

“Or, some mob guy that you have some incredible amount of debt with and he kept bugging you and threatened to kill you if you didn’t pay.”

Jessica sneered.

“Drama freak,” Jessica muttered as she entered the halted taxi and slammed the door – hard ­– on Tiffany’s face.

As Jessica sat comfortably inside the taxi, she forgotten one fact, that the taxi door was not locked and her relief was going to be momentary.

“So where are we going?” Tiffany said as she pulled herself into the cab.

And her prediction was right.

===

“So, I am suppose to gain insight of music industry from you and write an article,” Sunny muttered to Taeyeon who was sitting beside her. Sunny did not lift her head or turned to Taeyeon. She was determined to make as little eye contact as possible.

“I think that’s what you are suppose to do.”

“Then, it’s easy. Go home,” Sunny said as she started packing, “I’ll email you the question, you email back, I’ll write. Let’s go home.”

Sunny stood up and put all her stuff into the bag, much to Taeyeon’s confusion.

“Sunny, I think we are suppose to stay and do it together. I mean everyone still here,” Taeyeon said as she scanned the room.

“So? we have our own method in doing stuff.”

Taeyeon knew, Sunny was trying to run away from her.

“C’mon. This won’t look good to the supervisors.”

Sunny sighed. Still Taeyeon knew what words to say to make her stop. Sunny hated it. The more she thought about it , the angrier she got. It was not suppose to be like this. After all Taeyeon put her through, Taeyeon was not suppose to have those kind of effects on her anymore.

“Come with me.”

Taeyeon told their supervisors that they were getting coffee and dragged Sunny out of the room.

===

“It’s stuffy here,” Yoona said as she wiped the dripping sweat from her chin, then her neck.

“Of course it would be. We are stuck here remember.”

“Woah, stop with the curt comment okay.”

“Fine, I better save my energy. Who knows when we will be saved.”

Then silence ensued. Both sitting in the small constraint of the lift, with only a dim glow of Yuri’s handphone. Both not wanting to be in the companion of each other. Despite their constant bickering and fighting, Yoona knew, one way or another, especially in their current condition, they would make it back to each other – both separated only by ego and drawn by their supernatural fate.

“My phone battery is dying soon,” Yuri said abruptly. “Your phone?”

Yoona took out her phone and checked. It even fail to turn on. “No battery too.”

Without warning, Yuri got up and slumped herself next to Yoona. Yoona who was startled by the sudden action stared blankly at Yuri, her heart started pacing faster.

“I dislike darkness,” Yuri muttered softly before the light from the phone gave out.

===

Jessica had purposely told the taxi driver to take her to the nearest park. She thought maybe a few minutes – or in the worst case hours – would be enough to exhaust the overly excited girl and for the girl to finally leave her alone.

But she was wrong. The girl apparently had such a good stamina, that after 3 hours of wandering nowhere, it was Jessica who broke down in sweat and the other girl still looked perfectly fine and still as high as ever. She looked at the girl in annoyance, panting hard before giving in.

“What do you want?”

“I thought you’ll never ask.”

Tiffany smiled, her eyes curved.

It was the first time that Jessica had witnessed Tiffany’s eye smile. And despite feeling irritated, she could not ignore that the girl indeed looked like an innocent angel. She probably would have regarded her as one if she hadn’t been chased around for the past few hours.

“Can we be friends?”

Anyone who was a loner like Jessica probably would have squealed in happiness when someone like Tiffany proposed the idea. But Jessica was not desperate for a friend, in fact she disliked one. She despised the idea of trying to ‘fit in’ and being judged for who you were. So she chose not to give the opportunity for people to do so - by being invinsible.

“Why would I want to be your friend.”

Jessica seated herself at one of the park benches. Throwing her head back, she stared at the stars on the dark sky.

“Because you don’t have anyone you can trust. You can trust me,” Tiffany brought her hand to her chest, “I can be your friend.”

Tiffany smiled again, but this time Jessica had learnt from her mistake. She was not going to stare at the two crescent moon.

“I just met you a few hours ago and I am not that stupid to let a stranger meddles with my life.”

Jessica got up from her seat, this time, she was determined that Tiffany should stopped following her. So when Tiffany got up, following her, Jessica made sure Tiffany got the idea.

“And don’t follow me again.”

Her voice deep and cold. Tiffany could sense the finality in Jessica’s voice. She let her slip this time, after all, in no time she could intertwine their fate again – her fate again.

After Jessica had walked around 5 steps away from Tiffany, Tiffany yelled at her, making sure that Jessica caught her intention.

“I am not going to give up that easily. You need me.”

Jessica stopped from her track. A smirk playing on her face as she turned back to face the brunette.

“That’s the part that you got totally wrong. I don’t need you. I already have the person I trust.”

And then Jessica just walked away.

===

It was almost midnight, but Sunny still found herself on roof of the broadcasting station, staring at stars, coffee at one hand and Taeyeon on her side. She was suppose to start panicking. Her their assignment that was supposed to be handed in at 6 a.m the next morning was still unwritten. She was not suppose to feel this calm.

Again, she chided herself for what effect Kim Taeyeon still had over her.

“You remember this. We used to do this,” Taeyeon said, slow, her eyes still on the sky, “just sitting down, looking at the sky, hot chocolate in our hands. Of course at that time we still didn’t drink coffee.”

Taeyeon let out a slight chuckle while Sunny pursed her lips in a smile.

Sunny sighed.

“Of course that’s all before you traded me for Royalty.”

Eventhough Sunny knew she was opening an old wound, the way she said those words was without pain, or any intimidation that she usually expressed to the other short girl. It was rather a statement of fact, of the things that happened – things that did not matter to her now.

Taeyeon was surprised with how easy it slipped Sunny’s mouth. She turned to Sunny, her shock apparent in her eyes.

“I never really blame you for not accpeting who you are.”

Sunny replied the stare with equal intensity.

“After all, if you can’t accept who you are, we will never work. I could accept that.”

Sunny shook her head. She closed her eyes shortly, taking a breath and she looked up again.

“It’s just, you even throw away all those years of friendship because you felt that I was not worth to be next to you – friends or lovers. That’s what pains me most.”

Sunny felt tears trickled down her cheek. The pain that suffocated her all those year set free.

Taeyeon looked down. Embarassed for all the things that she had done. She thought about the days she broke it off with the girl. Heartlessly telling her that she was not worth her time. After all the hard time when she first came to Seoul with her, Sunny still stick with her. In fact, she should be thankful that she was even in school now, all because of Sunny. She knew how many strings she need to pull just to get Taeyeon accepted into the school way after the registration date, without an admission test even. And yet after all the things that Sunny had done for year, she toss her away like she was some disposable can – useless after the it’s empty. Tears started dripping down.

“I am so.. so.. sorry Sunny-ah,” Taeyeon coaxed.

“I am so sorry,” Taeyeon cried.

And Sunny remained silent. The cold breeze blew, tried to carry away their sorrow.

===

“You know, it never crossed my mind. Even once that I could like you,” Yuri said in the pitch darkness that they were in.

Yoona laughed heartily.

“Me too.”

“So you are admitting that you are going to say yes?”

Yoona was thankful at that moment that it was pitch dark, otherwise Yuri would have noticed the pink blush on her face. After calming herself down and feeling the smile creeping on her face, she gained back her composure.

“I was actually going to say yes before all the fighting.”

Yuri could feel herself grinning.

When she found that Yoona did not say anything after, she prompted her.

“So now?”

Yuri found herself holding her breath in anticipation to Yoona’s answer.

“I don’t know.”

Yoona let out a sigh.

“You tell me.”

Yuri let them bask in the silence. Giving Yoona the space that she needed and the time for her to think.

“What if things went wrong. What if we realise that we only liked each other – love each other because of this whole ordeal of being fated to be together. For now. What if we change?”

Yoona was never a calculative person, but she was always mindful of one called the trouble of the heart. She was never quick on her feet – unlike Yuri – but when she had time to, she thinks. That’s maybe the reason why she had been keeping her feeling for Jonghyun at an arm’s length - keeping him close as a friend but not daring to take the next step despite her deep feeling for him. She thought too much of how it might not work rather than the possibiliy of a happy ending. And that’s what she had been doing about her relationship with Yuri – overthinking it.

For every permutation of possibility of her and Yuri, she always ended up with one conclusion – that the feeling, present now, was only an illusion made up by heaven. The calculative her forbid her to be with Yuri but there was another part of her that yearns challenge.

“So what if we change?”

Yuri answered back serious. And Yuri could felt Yoona’s eyes on here, even in the darkness.

“People always change Yoona. The fact that we are sitting here talking about the possible relationship that we could have proved that. But why do we live for the future. Why do we dwell at what ifs. Live for the present Yoona.”

Yoona felt her heart thumping, fast, because slowly, but surely, her heart was opening for the possibility of them and not if. It scared Yoona, because Yuri could calm and change her heart just with a few words. If she could do that now, who knew what she could do later.

“Now, it’s you and me.”

And again, Yoona thanked the darkness, because she was not ready to show Yuri how vulnerable she was now.

Yoona reached forward, to where Yuri’s hand should be, her eyes had adjusted to the darkness. When she found it, her fingers made their way to Yuri’s palm, unclasping the formed fist in Yuri’s hand. Then she interlinked their fingers together, feeling the warmth of Yuri’s hand against hers.

Yuri understood what Yoona meant. For action meant much more than words. For Yoona had trusted her fragile heart in Yuri’s hand. Yuri turned her head to Yoona. Despite the darkness, she could search the dark orbs immediately.

Yuri searched her pocket with her other hand. When she found what she was looking for, she smiiled.

She raised it up, to the same level as her eyes and Yoona’s. Then she flicked the lighter on, the light quickly illuminated the previously dark elevator. Yoona’s eyes turned towards the source of light while Yuri’s eyes still fixed on Yoona.

“Now listen.”

Yoona turned to Yuri, the now jovial looking girl.

“Im Yoona…”

Yuri searched Yoona’s eyes.

“I am now officially a one woman girl.”

And Yoona smiled. The genuine one.

 

 

A/N: Hello my precious readers!! lol. Long time no see, speak and update. 2 months (i think) since last update. Busy with school but since today I am just so sick with school work and everything else, I decided to sit down and write this chapter. Didn't manage to proof read it perse so I pardon me for typos or grammar mistakes (this author is not good with grammar lol). Anyway, I think I still did well, at least manage to update within two months and not after 6 months :p

Also welcome new readers. Please give comments and introduce yourself^^ Old readers too! Don't forget to give comments and feedback! I'll try giving replies to those commented within these few days :)