Chapter Six...Second Day...

Sunflower Grave

 

                Zelo launched himself off the small pier, landing in the water with a big splash. As he surface he could hear the some of the girls screaming a little, scurrying away from where they had been sitting, enjoying the sun. He looked up in time to yelp in surprise and swim away just before Youngjae hit the water next to him. The older boy bobbed up shortly after laughing and calling out for the others to join them. Zelo looked to the rest of the group and felt his smile falter slightly.

                Despite seeing Yongguk picking Jieun up, threatening to throw her into the water, and Himchan actually being shoved in by Hyosung and Zinger, the sight of Jongup and Daehyun made him worry. He already knew Jongup wasn’t in good shape. He’d spent most of the morning apologizing profusely to Yongguk despite the elder’s insistence that it was unnecessary.  Zelo was surprised that Jongup had wanted to stay (maybe he didn’t want to be the one who ruined their vacation?).

                Sunhwa sat next to him and tried to look at the currently bandaged hand Jongup was cradling in his lap. Zelo’s eyes widened in surprise when the boy refused to let her look at it, going so far as to pull it away when she took it. The look of indignation on Sunhwa’s face was enough to tell him that Jongup had been less than polite.

                Truth be told he expected Jongup to be cranky. What he didn’t expect was to see Daehyun in his current state. He looked horrible. He lounged under a tree, looking ready to fall asleep at any moment. More to the point, when they’d stopped along the way to pick up some food Daehyun declined. That was odd enough, but Zelo didn’t really think he’d seen the older boy eat much the previous night either…

                “Heads up!”

                Zelo dived down and swam away, avoiding Yongguk who had also jumped in. When he broke the surface he caught Yongguk staring at Jieun who had also joined Jongup on the dock.

                “So how’d you get a pretty girl like her?”

                “Shut up.”

                “…I’m worried about them,” Zelo changed the subject, motioning specifically to Jongup but also inclining his head towards Daehyun, “maybe we should go home tonight or tomorrow?”

                “Yeah…Himchan and I talked it over with Hyosung. But we’ll figure it out once we get back to the house.”

                “Hear me out,” Zelo continued, doing well at keeping his head up, “I don’t think we should go back.”

                “Eh?”

                “I kept hearing something moving around last night. Like someone was walking around. But when I looked out there wasn’t anyone there. It was creepy.”

                “Old houses make noises and you can hear them really well out in the country without all the city noise.”

                “Maybe, but still…”

                “Like I said, we’ll all talk it over when we get back tonight.”

                “You’re right,” Zelo trailed off a little, watching Youngjae get out of the water to go harass Daehyun a bit, “but Jongup…”

                “I know. We’ll figure it out.”

 

                Zelo plopped down next to Jongup on the dock. They’d been at the lake for nearly three hours and most were beginning to become tired. Sunhwa and Jieun had set out a blanket while Himchan helped them spread out some food. Daehyun stumbled over to them, waving off the concern of Zinger before lying down on the blanket. Youngjae was soon joining him and Zelo could definitely tell the boy was worried.

                When Hyosung reappeared with Yongguk, the pair having gone back to the vehicles to retrieve some items, Himchan immediately stood to help her with the bags. Zelo smirked a little (he noticed the frown Sunhwa wore when he got up…he expected a cat fight in the near future). 

                “So…”

                “Hm?”

                “…you got Yongguk real good,” Zelo laughed a little but trailed off once he realized Jongup wasn’t amused, “hey, I was thinking maybe we can go home tonight. We could always stay at my place for a bit…”

                “I can’t leave.”

                “Eh?”

                “I just feel like I need to figure something out.”

                “Jongup, you’re sounding crazy a little.”

                “I know,” Jongup sighed and Zelo had to admit he’d never seen him look this bad, “I…I guess I’m tired. I’ve been having nightmares…I think someone died in that house.”

                “What?!”

                “Shh! You’ll scare them!” Jongup quietly hushed Zelo, looking over his shoulder uneasily, “I may just be having dreams. But then…this,” he held his hand, looking pensive and uneasy, “I didn’t do this hitting Yongguk like I told Jieun. I woke up with it after I was stabbed…”

                “WHAT?!”

                “Shh!” Jongup literally slapped a hand over Zelo’s mouth in warning, “I’m trusting you not to tell anyone, especially Himchan or Yongguk. I can tell they’re really worried about me.”

                “You’re really starting to worry ME,” Zelo sighed but continued, “tell me if it gets any worse. I already don’t like that place so I’m all for getting out of there…but I’ll keep to between us for now. Guess we don’t want to ruin everyone’s vacation, eh?”

                “Exactly,” Jongup sighed as well, finally smiling slightly.

                “You two! Come eat!” Himchan called for them.

                The pair got up to join them but stopped when they heard something behind them. It sounded like the creaking of wood. Glancing back they listened but heard nothing more. Once again turning away this time a soft splash resounded behind them.

                The water didn’t move.  Not a ripple. Not a motion.

                “Get over here!” Hyosung called out again.

                By the time they arrived Daehyun had gotten to his feet and began to wander off towards the lake again. He grumbled something about not feeling well and the smell of the food making him feel nauseous. Youngjae got up to join him but Daehyun waved him off, insisting that he stay.

                Zelo quickly devoured his rice, not realizing how hungry he was. Again the small talk and comfort level rose. While he continued to worry over what Jongup had told him, seeing the other boy laughing and smiling again (even just a little) alleviated his worries a bit. However the still worried glances the others would cast at Jongup made Zelo want to scream out that their house was haunted.

                Yes. Zelo was now convinced of this fact. Tonight if he couldn’t convince Jongup then he’d go to Youngjae and get him to believe. He wouldn’t tell them what Jongup had told him but he’d definitely try to get the older boys to listen to his theory at least. Jongup may have wanted to stick around but Zelo figured this was how most ghost stories started. It was time to get out.

                “Himchannie,” Sunhwa said quietly to the second oldest boy, “can I ask you something?”

                “Sure. Wah! This is really good Hyosung!” He digressed.

                “Uh, do you think that when we get back to the college we can…,” Zelo shook his head when she trailed off. His friend was distracted by something Youngjae had said.

                “Our commander is an idiot,” Zelo shook his head, “can’t even tell that she likes him.”

                “I know, right?” Zinger whispered to Zelo. He blushed at that, not realizing he’d said that loud enough for the older girl to hear. Zonger winked at him and ruffled his hair before standing.

                “Where’s your friend? Daehyun!” She called out. Youngjae immediately perked up at this, looking around left to right quickly for him.

                “Didn’t he go by the…?” Before Jieun could finish her sentence a splash from the lake interrupted her.

                “Dae!” Youngjae was on his feet and running to the lake, the others not far behind. By the time the group had made it to the lake’s edge there was no sign of Daehyun, but Zelo was quick to spot where the water was sloshing and bubbling. Zelo dived in without a thought.

                Through the murky water Zelo made out Daehyun’s figure. He reached out to grab his arm and began to pull him up. To his surprise, it felt as if something pulled against them and his lost his initial grip on Daehyun. Fortunately for him someone else came from another side and grabbed at Daehyun again. Together they pulled him to the surface where the others had already waded in. He discovered it was Yongguk who’d jumped into the water with him. They carried a now sputtering and coughing Daehyun to dry land where he continued to cough up a little bit of water.

                “What the hell?!” Youngjae yelled, taking Daehyun by the shoulders and shaking him slightly, “What were you doing?!”

                “I must have fallen in and gotten tangled in something…” Daehyun gasped, “I’m sorry…”

                “Aish!” Youngjae cursed a little before hugging his friend in relief.

                “Alright, we’re heading back,” Yongguk finally declared. Himchan and Hyosung quickly agreed and set about packing their belongings. Youngjae, still pale from worry, quickly led Daehyun towards the car. That was when Zelo noticed something drop out of Daehyun’s hand. Only Jongup and he seemed to notice as the elders busied themselves. He stooped down to retrieve the item…

                …and to his horror realized he had a small kitchen knife in his hand…

 

A/N: Let's see if I can't finish this in time for Halloween. ^^