Chapter Five...Second Night Cont...Second Morning...

Sunflower Grave

 

                Sunhwa poked her head out of the room she shared with Hyosung in time to see one of the boys, Jongup, go running by. Someone was calling out to him from the direction he came and she was stunned to see Yongguk stumbling out of the room. She quickly the light in the hall and gasped at the blood that was spilling onto his hand from his nose.

                “Yongguk!” Jieun’s voice suddenly cried out. The girl came rushing out of her room (she and Zinger must have woken up from the noise as well). Using the sleeve of her pajamas she pressed it to his nose despite his protests.

                “What the hell is going on?” Youngjae came out next, Zelo following groggily after him.

                “Jongup just had a fit or something,” Yongguk tried to move past everyone to go after him but Jieun forced him to stay put, “we got to go after him.”

                “I’ll go, you stay,” Jieun pulled him towards the bathroom, avoiding Himchan and Daehyun.

                “What happened?” Himchan asked, looking to Sunhwa for some input, “Where’s Jongup?”

                “I don’t know,” Yongguk grumbled worriedly, leaning forward with toilet paper to his nose, “he was thrashing about in his sleep, so I got up to check on him and then WHACK! He’s hit me across the nose and is out the door,” he glanced up at Jieun as she began to leave, “I can come…!”

                “Stay,” she commanded, and immediately Yongguk stood down.

                “Let’s go,” Himchan turned to leave as well.

                Without a word Sunhwa went after him, listening as both he and Jieun shouted out for Jongup. They were joined by Youngjae, flashlights in hand. Sunhwa was grateful for that. There was a big field behind the house and even though it was mostly barren there were still lots of drying, tall plants. It would be too easy to get lost in there (or fall in a ditch or hole). Immediately they split off into three groups: Jieun went off alone, the same with Youngjae, but Sunhwa stayed with Himchan.

                “Jongup!” He called out frantically. Even in the darkness Sunhwa could tell how pale Himchan looked, “JONGUP!!”

                “Jongup!” She called out as well, keeping pace with him, “why did he run off?”

                “I…” Himchan bit his lower lip anxiously, “I’m not sure…he was acting weird since we got here. He asked to come to our room on the first night.”

                “Really? Maybe he has anxiety,” she tried to reason, “Jongup!!”

                “But he’s usually so calm,” he groaned in frustration, “when we find him I’m taking him home. Tonight. Jongup!!”

                “What? Why?” Sunhwa knew she must have sounded entirely too disappointed, but she couldn’t help it. Truth be told she never cared to come up to this place on a good day. But when Kim Himchan asks you if he could use your family home for a mini vacation for his friends and you were invited…well, Sunhwa wasn’t exactly able to say “no”. Himchan didn’t respond to her, continuing to shout out Jongup’s name. Instead of trying to reason him to stay, she also joined in his calling out for the younger boy.

                What could have frightened him so much that he’d attack Yongguk and then run away? They continued on through the field, pushing aside the drying plants and running over the rest. She lost track of how long they were in there. The air felt so chilly this night. She immediately wished she’d brought a jacket before heading out. Himchan looked at her and quickly shrugged off his cardigan, handing it to her.

                “Sorry. Take it,” Sunhwa was only too glad to accept the item. That was a misstep. Her eagerness to accept the cardigan caused her to step into a small hole. With a yelp she fell forward, her face hitting the ground hard. She was immensely glad she’d turned her face away, otherwise she’d have a broken nose.

                “Are you okay?!” He was helping her up into a sitting position. Sunhwa groaned a little, rubbing her cheek where it had impacted the ground. She tried to move her ankle and to her dismay pain wretched through it.

                “Oww,” she winced when he touched it, “careful.”

                “Sorry…”

                “HIMCHAN!!” Jieun voice shouted from somewhere in the distance.

                When Himchan rose to look for her, Sunhwa grabbed his arm, her eyes wide. He really didn’t plan on leaving her, did he?

                “I’ll be back,” he tried to soothe, “Jongup might be hurt, or Jieun…”

                “But I’M hurt!” Sunhwa was taken aback by his lack of concern. No, she refused to let herself become jealous over a scared boy just because her crush was more concerned over his childhood friend. She should be ashamed of herself for feeling any hint of annoyance at that boy.

                “I’ll come back for you, okay?” He said again, kneeling down and taking her hands in his, “I won’t let a pretty girl stay here alone too long.”

                She nodded mutely, unable to protest, and watched him get up and run off toward where she assumed Jieun had called from. Feeling her foul mood lifting a bit and the concern for Jongup replacing it, Sunhwa pulled the cardigan on and sighed. It was still warm from Himchan wearing it...

                Something brushed against her ear.

                Sunhwa cried out in pain when she tried to jump up, ready to confront whatever it was that had touched her, but her ankle would have none of it. Instead she scanned around her frantically…and found nothing. Somewhere near her something snapped. And it snapped again. And it was coming louder, like it was approaching her.

                “Who’s there?!”

                What sounded like an incoherent mumble resounded right next to her ear. Whipping her head around she was met once again with nothing. She managed to get to her feet and shined her flashlight into the field. Somewhere nearby something was rustling. Another twig or something snapped.

                ...why…?

                Sunhwa felt the scream about to erupt from when Himchan suddenly came stumbling through the brush. He looked equal parts relieved an exhausted.

                “You,” Sunhwa breathed out a sigh of relief, “you scared me!”

                “Sorry,” he replied sheepishly, but continued, “Jieun found him. Let’s him back inside.” Himchan offered his arm to Sunhwa, to which she gratefully accepted, and the pair began to go towards the house, Sunhwa limping clumsily next to him.

                She glanced back just once…and swore she saw the plants swaying as if someone had moved through them…

~~~

                The morning was much more pleasant. Despite Himchan and Yongguk’s insistence, Jongup calmly told them he was fine. He just had a nightmare. Sunhwa couldn’t help but scoff a little at that. What kind of nightmare had you running like a crazy person at night? But it also meant that the boys wouldn’t be leaving so soon.

                “Happy?” Zinger as they all piled into their car.

                “Very,” Sunhwa stuck her tongue out at her, causing the elder to laugh and push her playfully.

                At least they all agreed this morning to go to the lake (even though almost all of them did not want Jongup to go…they’d rather him get some rest…but the boy insisted anyways). After last night’s shenanigans they all needed some time to have fun and relax.

                “Wait for us!” Youngjae said excitedly, pulling an exhausted looking Daehyun after him. Jieun waved at the three other girls before getting into the passenger seat next to Yongguk in the boys’ van. Sunhwa shook her head at that. Jieun and Yongguk were practically attached…not that she was jealous or anything…

                “Ready?” Hyosung asked, keys in hand.

                “Can I drive?” Youngjae immediately asked, holding out his hands like a kid asking for candy.

                “Well, I suppose…

                “No,” Daehyun interceded and slapped away Youngjae’s hand when he went to take the keys, “get in.”

                “You’re no fun when you’re cranky,” Youngjae grumbled irately.

                “Yah, just get in,” Daehyun took his ear between his thumb and pointer finger, causing Youngjae to yelp and cry melodramatically, and forced the younger boy into the van. Zinger followed soon after. Sunhwa snapped her fingers and gasped, realizing she’d left her phone inside the house. Asking the group to wait, she ran back to the house. There she discovered that they had not locked the door either.

                “Yah!” She shouted at the youngest boy, Zelo, “why didn’t you lock it?”

                “I did,” he responded innocently.

                “Whatever,” she sighed and ran in to collect her phone. It was laying on the floor near the couch. It must have fallen there. The little light on it was flashing, indicating she had an alert. Ignoring the honking horn of the cars outside, she turned the screen back on and frowned at the number of the missed call. Another honk from the car horn made her swear a little and she began her trek back to the front door, still looking at her phone.

                Just as she reached the front door her phone rang out once, startling her and making her jump a bit. The phone flashed that she had a voicemail. She’d never seen her phone go to the voicemail so quickly before.  How odd…and why did that number look so familiar? She raised it to her ear to listen to the message but another long wailing sound from the car horn broke her action.

                “I’m coming!”

                Locking the door behind her, Sunhwa shut it and ran to join them…

 

A/N: Forgive the shoddiness of this thing. I lost this chapter...and had to rewrite it...UGH! Remember to save often kids! >_<

For certain someones who need to be entertained by updates. ^^ You know who you are.