Chapter Ten: Secrets...

Sunflower Grave

 

                Again. He was there again. Why was he here all over again? The same field, the same sunflowers, the same feeling of dread…but this time he was already standing in the clearing amidst the field of flowers. There was no running, no hiding, no trying to escape that person. Jongup was already there.

                And standing before him some distance away was the girl. Head bowed, clothes dirty and bloody, she seemed to be waiting for something. Slowly her arm raised and she pointed at Jongup. While he first thought she was just making the motion he soon realized she was extending her arm out to show him something.

                Dangling from her fingers was a silver chain with a circular pendant.  Dropping her arm abruptly the girl slowly turned and began to walk away from him back into the field.

                “Wait!” Jongup finally found his voice and tried to run after her but reared back when flame suddenly engulfed the area in front of him, preventing him from following. That’s when he realized that in the background, in the not so far distance, was the house. He watched as the girl walked up each step, slow and deliberate, the sound of her footfalls echoing over the crackling of the flames. And then he realized that he could see Himchan in one of the windows of the house…

                “Wait! Stop!”

 

                Jongup jolted awake, sweat pouring down his face. With a groan he sat up from where he’d been curled up on his side. Someone’s phone was ringing intermittently nearby, the source of his wake up call. Mind still reeling with the images from the dream he blindly reached around until his hand landed on it.

                “Hello?”

                “Jong….where…Him….hwa…?” The call full of static and break up, Jongup could barely register Yongguk’s voice.

                “Yongguk? Hey!”

                “…house…out…Hyo…”

                And the line went dead.

                Mind finally lucid, Jongup realized he was alone in the car and it was getting steadily darker outside. He was out of the car and on his feet, sprinting for the house before he even knew what he was doing. That girl knew Himchan was in the house. They should never have come back.

                “Himchan!” He called out after almost literally slamming the front door open. He could hear the wind behind him and silence in the rest of the house.  Fighting the urge to run far away from this horrible place, Jongup took one step in…

SLAM!!!

                The door shut behind him, seemingly on its own accord, and instinctively he tried to reopen it. The door would not budge. It wasn’t that it was locked. The knob turned easily. It was simple as the door just wouldn’t open, as if something was pressed against it.

                He struggle stopped when above him floorboards creaked and moved. What first started as soft steps soon turned to loud slams, like if someone was running and pounding their legs into the floor boards. It ended with the sound of a door opening and slamming.

                Jongup wanted to call out to Himchan, Sunhwa, Hyosung, someone, but his throat felt tight and constricted. That feeling of dread so familiar now was creeping back up. He needed to be quiet. He didn’t want anyone to find him or know that he was here…which made no sense since he wanted to find the others. Flashes of the dream the night he ran out of the house went through his mind. He had that unrelenting need to hide now…and he knew where he wanted to go…

                Still unable to call out to the others Jongup carefully made his way up the stairs to the second floor. The air was growing chilly, yet he felt stifled. The floor creaked with every step he took, the sound soft like an echo in the empty hall. He kept moving until he arrived at his destination: the room he;d stayed in the first night.

                The door swung open easily and silently to his surprise. Despite his trepidation he no longer felt that terror. Instead he had a steely resolve. There was something here he needed to find…and he had an inkling now what it was.

                Kneeling next to the bed, Jongup felt a moment of hesitation though. That face still haunted him. That terror he felt when hiding under the bed. And that knife sinking into his hand…the wound was throbbing painfully now. He hadn’t realized how much more intense the feeling became the closer he came to this room. It was near unbearable.

                However this time there was no face waiting for him. Sunlight was fading fast and he quickly scrambled beneath the bed. He saw it: a glint of silver that had gotten caught in the cracks of the floorboards. The moment his finger brushed the metal he felt a cold chill run through his spine. With a gentle tug he pulled the item out and came out from under the bed. With the last of the sunlight he could see the same silver necklace and pendant the girl had in her hand in his dream…

                It was a simple silver circle, the kind you would take to get engraved, but it was beginning to tarnish. Without thinking Jongup rubbed the surface of the pendant to clean it…and wasn’t prepared for the sudden influx of memories that sprang to life in his mind…

 

                Jungah bounced on the balls of her feet, waiting for her chance to see her crush. It was the last class of the day on the last day of school. Her heart was beating a thousand miles. Today would be the day she’d deliver her long overdue love letter to Kim Himchan. Ever since middle school she’d been wanting to confess. And today would be the day. Rejected or not she would make her confession and either move on with life or live happily ever after.

                “Jungah,” someone said behind her, making her jump, “you’re not really going to do it, are you?”

                “Oh, Sunhwa,” Jungah smiled at her nervously, “I think I will.”

                “You know,” her friend continued, pushing up her large glasses, “he’s way out of your league. We’re the quiet nerds. You think one of the most popular guys in school is going to want to date you?”

                “But, when I talked to him yesterday he was very sweet and kind…a little cheesy when he called me ‘my lady’ but sweet…”

                “You actually talked to him?!” Her friend gaped quietly, “Oh sweety. You know Kim Himchan plays all the girls like that. You’re just going to get hurt. And what if the school finds out? What if those popular snots try to beat you for it? What IF he accepted? You think they’d let you live?”

                “Sunhwa,” Jungah blubbered a little, feeling misty eyed. What if her friend was right? She glanced up in time to see Himchan exit the classroom with Yongguk, the two sharing a good laugh. He caught her gaze and looked ready to call out to her but Jungah quickly turned and took Sunhwa by the hand, missing the surprised look on his face.

                “Let’s go. Quick. C’mon.”

                “You made the right decision.”

 

                It was by pure luck that Han Jungah ran into Sunhwa again two years later. She’d since moved away and gone to university. But the Sunhwa she met wasn’t the same girl she remembered.

                “It took me a while,” Jungah confessed to Sunhwa after pulling her aside after class one day, “but you ARE Sunhwa, right?”

                “…don’t speak so informally to me,” Sunhwa snorted, pulling her arm away from her former friend, “I’m not the same awkward nerd anymore.”

                “I can see that!” Jungah replied happily noting how her friend had finally filled out and lost the thick glasses. She was actually wearing make-up and doing up her hair now too, “you look great!”

                “Well…yeah, thanks I guess. You look alright too.”

                “So, tell me what you’ve been up to…”

                “Look,” Sunhwa said seriously, staring at Jungah hard, “I’ve got a new life now. If you want to be friends again , we can do that. But you can NOT tell anyone that we knew each other back in high school,” she added almost dangerously, “ever. If anyone asks we met in class. Got it?”

                “O-Okay…” Jungah reluctantly agreed. She never imagined Sunhwa had such a mean streak to her.

 

                Despite Sunhwa’s condition the pair were hanging out again regularly. To her delight she discovered that they were all in the same dorm (she’d recently met Sunhwa’s new friends Hyosung, Jieun, and Zinger). However Sunhwa still seemed distant to her when around them. When it was just the two of them they were laughing and having fun like back in high school. But the moment she met her in the hall, it was a cool greeting.

                It was okay though. Jungah didn’t have too many friends and her family was far away, so she didn’t mind. At least she had a friend once in a while.

                And then, something wonderful happened.

                “Oh my god,” Jungah ducked down behind a book shelf. Peering over it cautiously she watched at Himchan, HER Kim Himchan, walked with Hyosung through the library doors. They were talking in a friendly manner. What were the odds of that? Not only did she meet her friend, but now the object of her former affection…and that affection never did go away.

 

                “Really? You’re going to confess AGAIN?”

                “To be honest I never did the first time,” Jungah hummed as they drove. They were going to Sunhwa’s uncle’s house for the weekend, “but…but I think I’ve got a shot this time. Even if he rejects me that’s another chapter of my life I can close.”

                “Really,” Sunhwa muttered looking a little annoyed, “what if he’s already dating someone or if someone likes him already?”

                “Someone once said ‘love is a battlefield’,” she replied, “I won’t try to break them up but I’ll never know unless I ask, right? Right? Sunhwa why are you scowling at me?”

                “I’m not. Just ate something bad I think…”

 

                Jungah barely had time to register that she was bleeding. The world felt like it was spinning around her. Falling to her knees she placed a hand to her head and it came back covered in her blood. She looked up and barely had enough time to kick out at Sunhwa’s feet before her ‘friend’ could bring the shovel down on her head again. Sunhwa on the ground, Jungah scrambled to her feet and tried to run back to the house. Her adrenaline pumping she was able to get to the back door and inside, locking it in time to hear Sunhwa slam into it and shout and curse.

                Run, she had to run and hide. Where was her phone? Why wasn’t the house phone working?! Why was she doing this?! Someone help her! Someone!!

                She’d just made it upstairs when the door slammed open. Running as fast as she could she ran into her room, only to cover to silence her cry at the sight of her phone smashed to pieces on the floor. Still hearing Sunhwa somewhere nearby Jungah in a her panic slipped under the bed, covering to muffle her breathing.

                The door opened slowly a moment later. She’d forgotten to lock the door…she’d forgotten to lock the door…

                “Jungie,” Sunhwa called out sweetly, “where are you~?” She watched Sunhwa’s feet move about the room. The closet was opened and shut, the window checked, and Sunhwa let out a sight before turning away. The door opened and shut next.

                Jungah waited, counting to sixty. There was no sign of Sunhwa. She couldn’t wait under the bed forever. She’d find her eventually. She’d need to get out the window…to the car or at least to the road to wave someone down…

                Carefully she placed her hand out from under the bed to pull herself out…only to have a kitchen knife impale the hand to floor. She’d never screamed so much in her life. Sunhwa slammed her foot down on her wrist and yanked the knife out, ignoring Jungah’s pleading for her life. She was dragged out from under the bed…

               

                Jongup stared wide eyed the pendant. The pain in his hand was finally gone but small residual flashes were now going through his head…

                Sunhwa washing the blood from her hands and face.

                Sunhwa tossing the knife into the lake.

                Sunhwa acting so surprised when Jungah didn’t show up for class anymore.

                Sunhwa clinging to Himchan.

                Sunhwa’s jealousy.

                Sunhwa picking up the phone while in the house and listening to her voice mail and screaming at the sound of the familiar voice:

“…why…? My…friend…?”

                Sunhwa pushing Hyosung down the stairs…

                Sunhwa hitting Himchan over the head with a pan…

                Sunhwa….Sunhwa….

                “Jonguppie,” Jongup didn’t have more than a second before something slammed into his left arm hard. He swore he heard something snap and he crumpled to the ground. In pain he looked up to meet Sunhwa’s almost pitying gaze, shovel in hand and a gasoline tank on the floor.

                “I told Himchan you shouldn’t have come.”

 

 

A/N: To be fair, I think Sunhwa is adorable...but writing crazy Sunhwa is fun. XDD The original version of this got really violent...I didn't like it so I cut it out. I love all my subbies! Your comments keep me going! Thank you all! ^^