The Darkness

One More Chance


 

Dara's POV

"Woooah! It is raining all of a sudden. Thank goodness it was not this heavy when were on the way home." Yoona said as she parked the car on the garage.
 

I looked up straight to the window and just realized the rain is pouring hard.

The sky is probably crying because of the darkness just like my heart.
 


*Knock! Knock!*  

I suddenly snapped out of my reverie when I heard someone knocking outside the car.


Yoona immediately rolled down the window to see who it was. 

 

"Hon?" Yoona's face brightened up when she saw Donghae's face with a warm smile, standing and holding an umbrella outside the car.

 

"My prince is here to save us Dara." Yoona giggled, " You really are great timing hon! We don't have an umbrella here." Yoona cheerfully said while looking at his prince in his white umbrella. She opened the car and turned towards me.



"Dara, I'll go first. My hon will be back for you. Let me bring that shopping bag you have." Yoona offered.



"N-no Yoona. I'm okay. Really. I will just run quick. Besides, the house is only few steps away." I refused, trying to avoid Donghae's gaze.



"No, Dara. It's raining hard. You wait here. We will walk real fast so he will be here in no time. I don't want you to get sick especially now." Yoona insisted with her worried eyes.


Yoona quickly got off the car and stood next to Donghae who was holding the umbrella, shielding them from the heavy rain.

 

"Stay there Dara! Donghae will be back for you." Yoona gave me an assuring smile, but my eyes were focused on their hands tightly entwined with each other. She leaned her head against his shoulder while walking towards the house.

 

I suddenly felt a surging pain in my heart. 

 

My head was too preoccupied with many painful thoughts when Donghae suddenly tilted his head back to look at me. Our eyes suddenly met but I quickly turned my head down while pretending to look inside my shopping bag.


"Why did I become so nervous all of a sudden?" I said to myself while trembling
 


I suddenly remember when we were little kids. Donghae liked to tease me all the time. He liked to scare me especially if the weather was like this but when I cried, he always hug me from behind really tight and kiss me on my forehead to console me.

I wish we were kid again so we don't have to worry about the future.



The door suddenly opened on my side and Donghae appeared right in front of my eyes, looking down the ground with his umbrella.

 


My heart suddenly beats faster than it usually does. This feeling seems very familiar. Deja vu.



I got off the car and stood beside him, keeping a fair distance.

"Lets go?" he softly asked, making my heart dropped even more.


We started walking when all of a sudden a hard and loud "BANG!" over took the sky.
I unconsciously held his arm while my knees were uncontrollably shaking from shock.



I woke up from my senses when I realized he was glaring at me. I let go of his arm and quickly stepped back

but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back close to him.



"What are you doing?! Can't you see it's raining?! Do you want to get sick?!" he yelled with his flaming eyes.

We both looked at each others eyes didn't realize how close our distance was.

He audibly sighed and quickly looked away.

 


"Let's go." he said as he grabbed my hand while dragging me towards the house.

 

 

 

 



"Hey! Why so serious eh? What's cracking down there?" Siwon asked, playfully shook Minzy when he saw her glaring down from the window on the second floor.



Donghae and Dara didn't notice Minzy and Siwon were at the terrace on the second floor watching them from a far.



"See Oppa? If this continues, I don't think Yoona unnie could even make it to the altar after all the sacrifices she have done for Donghae oppa. Do you want that to happen?" Minzy said with her cold expression.

 

Siwon gazed at Dara and Donghae's hands as they walked together to the house.

 

 

Dara's POV

 


"Lubdub! Lubdub! Lubdub!" What the heck is wrong with my heart!

I never thought this would happen again. Ughhhh... This is driving me insane. Why can't I control my heart? Why is it beating so fast? This feelings seem very familiar.  Him holding my hand again makes my heart even crazier.



"Dara! You're drenched! Omo..! Here's a towel. Wipe yourself real quick and go take a hot shower. I'll make you a hot tea." Yoona worried's voice snapped me out when we reached the house. Donghae quickly let go of my hand when she saw Yoona on the door waiting for us.
 


"Thank you Yoona." I replied back while
watching Donghae's back as he walked towards the kitchen.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

 


"Is there something wrong with your hand Donghae?"  Yuri curiously asked when she saw Donghae walking around while staring at his hand.
 


Donghae quickly put his hand into his pocket when he heard his mother's voice.
 


"No. Nothing. I just remember something." he replied back



"Just make sure what you remember is not gonna ruin your life." Yuri said with a cold expression



"Of course." Donghae replied back



"I trust you son. I am hoping you know now what is better for you and for Yoona." Yuri deeply sighed as she continued preparing their dinner
 



"Momma! Sorry I was late to help you for dinner. I'm just going to make Dara hot tea real quick and let me do that for you." Yoona said as she helped Yuri preparing for the dinner.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Dara's POV
 


Staying here is not really a good idea. Every time I see him, all our memories are coming back and it makes my heart even more miserable. I thought I am doing good but every time our eyes meet, every time he mention my name, everytime we accidentally touch each other...

 

"When he held my hand." I said to myself while gazing my hand he just held.

 

My heart can't lie no more. My heart knows from the start, he is the only one I want to spend the rest of my life with.



I washed my face with a cold water to wake me up from deep thoughts but a loud thunder started to roar again.

I quickly closed my eyes to hide my fear but as soon as I opened it, the darkness was all I could see.



This is what I'm scared of the most--Darkness.



I walked towards the dark, squinting and groping for the switch of the lights but I couldn't find it.

 

I'm really stupid, I don't even know where the switch is. I tried to search my phone or anything that could give me light but I couldn't find anything. All I could see is black --- darkness and sorrow.



I tried my best to the way out from the bathroom to my bed but another thunder strike again. I tried to walk fast along the walls but I accidentally tripped and fell off on the floor.
 


"I am so scared... Fishboy....." I cried to myself while holding my necklace with a star pendant in my hand.

 


I don't know why but his face is the only one I could see in the darkness.

 

FLASHBACK

Hi Ms. Park, how are you today? Long time no see huh? I have been waiting for your visit for a long time now. Seems like you are not concern of your own body.


No Doc. I just have been really busy lately. I forgot to call you. I'm sorry.

Don't be sorry. Its your eyes. You must take care of them well.

Thanks Doc. I understand.

"Well, I have been calling you because I already received the result of your exam." The doctor said  while browsing his documents

"Right. Recently, my eyes has become even worse at night." I told the the doctor

"Here you go.This is your report." he added while he opened the pages

"Hmm.. Do you know anything about Retinitis Pigmentosa?" he asked

"Retini?"  I shook my head

Night blindness is the most common symptom of Retinitis Pigmentosa
So when you see things in the dark, at night or under the dim light your eye sight will be bad.

"Right Doc. I have this night blindness ever since I was a kid. I always sleep with my lights on because I can't really see anything in the dark." I explained

"I'm sorry to tell you Ms Park. Based on the current report, your illness is deteriorating.."

"De..deteriorating?" My shocked reply

"Unfortunately, Yes. Some of your retina's rod cells and the cone cells have begun to deteriorate. It is a hereditary disorder Dara so you have probably gotten this from your parents or relatives.

Right now, there is no cure of it.
The worst case scenario is that you could go completely blind. 
Are you and Mr. Lee planning to have kids?

 


I closed my eyes tightly as tears started to form in the corners.

"Is this real?"

This is just like a nightmare, except there is no escape.


 

 


"After College fishboy, what are you going to do?" I asked Donghae while while we were laying down on a picnic blanket

 


 


"Hmmm..I don't know yet..Why rabbit?" he replied

"Nothing. I just want to know. We're going to graduate in a month from now and you said you are already mature but.. I guess you're still the same fishboy I know--happy go lucky ." I



"Oh, you mean my plan! Of course I do have plan. Tsk. I'm not a kid anymore rabbit."  Donghae proudly said


"Really? Then tell me?"



"Hmm..I want to marry you as soon as possible so you will always be here in my side forever." he cheerfully said
and hugged me really tight.



"What?! Why are so selfish fishboy? I still want to get my master in the states you know." I said with annoyed tone but I can't help to feel all giddy inside.



"Sighs.. You are still the rabbit I know who always have higher dreams. I told you before, my dream is just simple.



I just want to be with you forever." he said while hugging me tighter. 

 

"Well..."  I can't help but to blush really hard.

 


Well, Is 12 children enough for us?" Donghae playfully asked.



"Yah! Fishboy! That's a lot! I would look disgusting and really old if I agree to that." I said while laughing.



"I don't care. For me, you are the most beautiful girl in the whole universe. Alright! How about 10?" Donghae chuckled.



I was going to retort back when he suddenly kissed me.



"Why don't we practice again tonight?" he added and winked at me.

.

..

...

....

.....




"Ms Park? Are you okay?"

I unconsciously smiled while thinking about our dreams together but now... How would I able to do all of that with him?



"Ah.. . There's no cure for it?" I slowly asked with a broken voice while trying to keep my tears from falling down.



"Based on the current advancements, I'm sorry." He said and shook his head.

 

"Furthermore, it is possible that it will be passed on to the next generation." the doctor added.



I took a couple of deep breaths before I was able to get my self back.

 

 

"I will not be able to see?" I weakly asked.



"Your eyesight will slowly deteriorate. It will become very poor, then you might go blind.

I'm sorry..."


____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 



"Wooooahh! This is not bad at all. We will have candle lights for dinner. Isn't it romantic?!" Yoona chuckled. "Oh! I forgot the ice cream I bought a while ago." Yoona added and run back to the kitchen


"Yoona unnie really has a kind heart. Donghae oppa is really lucky to have her." Minzy said as she sat down on the dining chair.



"You are right Minzy. You, Donghae should treasure her. You would never find any one like her again." Yuri added.

She then grins all of a sudden.

 

"Unlike some other girl who has really thick-skinned and acts like a queen. She didn't even bother to come down and help to prepare dinner. Yoona has been calling her many times now. She is really something." Yuri spoke sternly while looking at Donghae's reaction.

 



Donghae, on the other hand, was seriously glaring down at the fried chicken.



"Hon! Come here now! I'm so hungry." he quickly said when Yuri finished her speech.



"Okay.. Coming!" Yoona answered back.

 


*Another loud thunder roared at the sky.*

 


"Woooah..! Those thunders are really scary fishboy." Yoona said when she sat down beside Donghae.



"What did you just say?" Donghae asked with a shock expression.



"I said those thunders were scary. Why hon? Is there something wrong?" Yoona asked when she noticed Donghae's reaction.



"No-nothing. Ha ha. I'm just hungry." Donghae smiled and shook his head.



"Oh. Where is Dara? She didn't come down yet? Her hot tea is probably cold now. I'm going to call her upstairs." Yoona said and was about to stand up when...


"No, it's okay Yoona. I'll do it." Siwon said while intently looking at Donghae. 

 

"You guys go eat ahead. Don't worry about us. I'll go eat with her." Siwon added and winked at Yoona afterwards.

"Okay then. Tell your classmate to come down quick. I'll heat her tea again.

 

Awww.. Aren't Siwon and Dara cute together?" Yoona asked while looking at them.



"Woah! I like that ice cream Yoona unnie. I can't wait for the dessert." Minzy quickly changed the topic while Donghae watched Siwon go upstairs.


____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dara's flashback when they were first year college.

 

Dara and Donghae were watching tv together when they heard a sudden loud noise of thunder.


"Omo! fishboy.. What is that?" Dara said as she unconsciously hugged Donghae

"Thunder.. I think?" Donghae teasingly smirks
Another thunder occupied the sky

"Wooooah! Fishboy!" Dara shouted with her head on Donghae chest as she hugged him tighter

"Don't be scared. It's just a thunder. You're such a baby rabbit." Donghae teases

"Me? Scared? No! I'm not scared! I just uhmm.. pretending. Haha!" Dara stutters

"Really? So you're pretending to be scared for you to to hug me?
Tsk!  You don't have to do that. Just let me know, I'll be gladly to give you my permission to hug me. " Donghae teases her more

Dara pushed Donghae and quickly sat up straight.

"Of course not! Besides,  I don't want your girlfriend to get mad at me." Dara said with annoyed tone

"I'm just joking rabbit! Why are you always get mad at me quickly? You know...

I like your hug more than anyone else." Donghae added

Dara and Donghae blushes.

"Ows? You don't have to say that! I'm sure that's what you also said to your girlfriend. Don't worry I won't tell her." Dara replied back

"I told you I have NO girlfriend. Tsk! How about you?! You probably has a lot of boyfriends that's why you don't want to hug your best friend anymore. Don't worry they won't know since I don't know anybody in Jeju anyway." Donghae said with his jealous expression.


A loud thunder strikes again.

"Omo! Fishboy! Why is it so dark? Is it black out?" Dara said as he hold Donghae's arm tightly
"Yah. I think so. I'll just get a flashlight." Donghae said but Dara hold him tighter
"No. Fishboy. Don't leave me alone." Dara cries
"I'll be back rabbit. I thought you are brave? Your such a baby." Donghae teases
"Fine! I'll come with you then." Dara quickly said

Donghae looked for a flashlight while Dara held his hand as she followed him around.

"Fishboy... I want to pee." Dara shyly said
"Oh. Okay. You can go to the bathroom first while I search for a flashlight upstairs unless... You want me to follow you in the bathroom too? Donghae teases

"Yah! Fishboy!" Dara shouted
"Haha I'm just kidding." Donghae replied back. "Don't worry. I'll be back soon."
"But... but I can't see anything." she said
"You have your phone right? Use it as a light." he said
"But I still can't see anything." Dara replied back.

I'm so scared fishboy." Dara said as she hold Donghae's arm tightly.
"Really?" Donghae asked as he waved his hand to Dara's eyes. I think there is something wrong with your eyes rabbit. You should go for a check up.

but don't worry rabbit. I'm always here for you. I'll be your light forever. Come here. Let's go pee." Donghae smiles


"Dara are you okay?"

"Fishboy...?" Dara slowly open her eyes and see a little light  in front of her.




"Dara? Are you there? Dara? I'm coming in." Siwon said when Dara didn't response to him.
Siwon quickly entered the room and worriedly scanned for Dara. He used his phone as his flashlight.

 

He saw Dara lying on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest.
 



"Dara are you okay?"

 


"Fishboy?" Dara unconsciously blurted out when Siwon entered her room.



"Um.. No. Sorry if I'm not the one you are expecting to see." Siwon said in a low tone.

 


"Btw, why are you lying on the floor?" Siwon asked with a confused expression.


Dara snapped back and quickly wiped her tears off. She tried to lift herself up and sat on the floor. She cleared before she tried to speak.

"Oh Siwon! It's you. I didn't know you were there. ha ha" she croaked. Siwon looked at her with confused eyes.

"Umm.. because I- found it comfortable lying down... here. That's why. ha ha. Why don't you try it?" Dara stuttered. "Really I'm fine, Siwon." she assured, although she looked visibly pale and shaken. 


"Really?" Siwon grinned. "Isn't it cold there? You might get cold. Wait, Did you cry?" Siwon asked when he noticed Dara's broken voice.



"No! Why would I? Ha ha.. I probably have cold now. Wow.. you are right." Dara said with a shaky voice.


Siwon glared at her and smiled, "Let's go downstairs and eat. Yoona prepared a hot tea for you." he added
 


" I am not hungry. You go ahead. Don't worry about me." she weakly said.
 


"Are you sure?"

 

Dara nodded and smiled back.

 

"Okay then. But I'm really worried about you sitting on the floor. Why don't you rest on your bed instead?

Besides, you already have cold Dara. I'm sure it's much comfortable and warmer there.

I will not leave unless you are on your bed." Siwon insisted.
 


"Ha ha. Yeah.. of course." Dara said and bit her lips. She slowly got up, squinting at the darkness while groping along the walls.



"Where are you going Dara?" Siwon asked while scratching the back of his head.

 


"To my bed. Right?" Dara said while carefully groping her way along the walls.

 


"But your bed is on your left. Are you really okay Dara?" Siwon asked.


"Ha ha. Of course, I know its on my left! I'm just looking for something over here. Don't worry I'm fine." Dara quickly turned to her left but she accidentaly tripped over her closet.



Siwon quickly caught Dara, making them hug each other.

 


"Are you really sure you're okay Dara? Is there something wrong?" Siwon worriedly asked
 


Dara shook her head and smiled at him, "I'm fine. Really. Thank you Siwon." Dara said in a broken voice but she couldn't control her tears any longer.
 


Siwon smiled and looked at Dara.


"Why do I always find you like this?" Siwon sweetly said as he wiped Dara's tears away.

 


"Don't cry now. I'm already here. I will never leave you."
After what he said, Dara's tears bursted out even more as she remembered when Donghae said those words.

;

;;

;;;;

;;;;;

;;;;;;
 


"Siwon? What happened?  Is Dara okay?"  Yoona worriedly asked when she decided to check Dara in her room.

She saw Siwon sitting at edge of Dara's bed with his legs spread apart and with his elbow resting on his knees. 


"Shhhhhh... She is sleeping. She must be really tired." Siwon whispered, smiling while watching Dara sleeping.

"Don't worry Yoona. She is okay now." He added as he turned to smile at her.

 


"Thank you Siwon." Yoona smiled back at him.

 



Meanwhile down the stairs, a shadow was quietly listening to their conversation.

 

 

"She must be really scared." The shadow hoarsely said in a low tone as his hand clasped tighter against the stair railing.