Chapter One

Aqua Blue Cinema

 

 

I love you, Krystal...but I just can't be with you anymore.

The ocean was beautiful – waves crashed against the beach and the breeze gently rustled through her hair. The sun warmed her skin, rendering her cardigan almost unnecessary. She pushed a lock of hair behind her ear and watched as children played further down the beach.

"Have you been waiting long?"

Krystal turned around and smiled softly at the young man in front of her. He offered his hand, smiling as he pulled her to his chest. Krystal laughed, put her arms around his neck, and hugged him close to her.

It feels as if nothing has changed. Even if we haven't spoken in months. Almost as if I never will.

The young man held her hand as they strolled down the beach, occasionally picking up a shell and showing it to her. Krystal looped their arms together and brought their bodies closer.

No one knows. They say my acting is superb, but how can my face be so different from my heart? How can I be in so much pain and no one know?

They were sitting on the dock. The sun was setting and casting an orange and yellow glow on everything. Her head was on his shoulder and she looked at their intertwined fingers.

"The ocean, it's beautiful, yeah?" she asked, tightening her grip.

"Not as beautiful as you."

She giggled. He nudged her shoulder, causing her to look up at him. Their faces were just a few inches apart; she felt his breathe on her face.

"Cut!" the director yelled. "That's it for today!"

Krystal immediately moved away from the actor and moved to get up when she saw a hand in front of her. She looked up, Minho was smiling at her. She took the offered hand, dusting the sand off herself at once. "You did well today. It was a pleasure to work with you."

She smirked and bowed politely to him. "I can say the same for you."

"You flatter me, Krystal. Your acting far surpasses mine," he said, as they made they made their way back to the trailers, stopping to bow and thank the crew on the way. "I almost believed you liked me."

"Of course, I like you! What with your fiery charisma!" she laughed, punching him in the shoulder. Minho smiled and ran a hand through his hair. They were in front of her trailer.

"Not you, too!"

Krystal smirked, pausing as she walked through the trailer door. "No, no. Not me. I remember what a runt you used to be."

"You!" Minho made to grab her, but she closed the door in his face. "Krystal! I know where you live, brat!"

Suddenly, the blinds moved and there was Krystal making a face at him in the window. Minho laughed, rolled his eyes, and waved goodbye to the girl. Once he was gone, the smile faded from her face and she closed the blinds. After changing, she plopped onto the couch and closed her eyes. They had been filming since eight and only gotten a couple scenes in that day. The movie shouldn't take much longer, and she liked the plot and crew well enough, but Krystal was just tired. She hadn't been sleeping well lately and there wasn't much to do in the sleepy town.

She checked her phone. It was only 5:17. Too early for dinner. Krystal stood up, stretching her arms and back. "Well, I might as well–"

There was a knock at the door. "Ms. Krystal! Ms. Krystal!"

"I'm decent," she called out.

Her assistant, Luna, poked her head in. Luna was smiling – but when wasn't she? – and walked into the trailer. "Ah, you did great today."

"I'm aware," Krystal replied, waving off the compliment. Luna raised her eyebrow. "But thank you."

Luna rolled her eyes and looked at her planner. The thing was a combination highlighter, Hangul, and symbols only Luna could decipher. Satisfied, she closed the planner with a loud clap and placed it back in her purse. "Well, you're done for the day. Did you want to do anything else? Or just go back to the hotel?"

Shaking her head, Krystal replied, "No. I kind of just wanted to go on a walk."

"I see," Luna said, nodding. "I guess I have the night off."

"Yeah."

"I think some of the crew were meeting later..." Luna said, lost in thought. Krystal rolled her eyes and opened the door. Absentmindedly, Luna followed her out. "Maybe that cute cameraman will be there..."

"Well, I'm off," Krystal said, just loud enough to rouse Luna out of her thoughts. She watched as Luna blushed, embarrassed to be caught daydreaming. "See you back at the hotel."

Luna smiled, blush gone. "Be careful, Ms. Krystal. Monsters lurk about."

Krystal started walking away, waving goodbye over her shoulder.

"Don't hesitate to call me!" Luna called after her. "Be back before dark!"
 

***


Krystal hadn't traveled far – just farther down the beach and away from the noisy crew. It was a place that she had only visited once before, but the peace it allowed her lasted for days. It was a rocky cliff, only about fifteen feet above the ocean. Waves crashed against the cliff in a steady beat.

She closed her eyes, letting out a deep breath. It felt good: just letting the sounds of the ocean overcome her. Krystal touched her necklace, frowning slightly.

"You don't have to kill yourself!" someone yelled behind her.

What the hell? she thought, turning around. Thin arms latched around her waist, pulling her tight against their chest.

"Suicide is never the answer!" they yelled, straight into her ear.

"Get off me!" Krystal struggled against their hold and propelling both of them forward. "I'm not trying to – Ahhhhh!"

Krystal escaped the hold only to fall off the cliff.
 

***


After swimming to the shore, Krystal marched to the stranger, who looked like some kid – dressed in a baggy shirt and shorts. The kid had – in a panic – ran down to the beach, eyes wide with shock.

"I'm so sorry!" she said, running to Krystal and throwing her arms around her. "Are you all right?"

Krystal pushed her away. "What did you think you were doing?!" She grabbed her by the collar, pulling the kid just a few inches from her face. Krystal raised a hand as if to slap her. "I could have died!"

"That's what I was trying to stop!" She look startled, throwing her hands up in surrender and flinching away. "You looked so sad..."

"No one is going to die from this," Krystal said, lowering her hand and loosening her hold. She pointed in the direction of the cliff. Putting some distance between them, she took off her jacket – it was soaked and heavy.

Her attacker blushed and looked down. "Every year some kid dies here. School, y'know? If you're not trying to fight it, the current can get pretty rough."

"You thought I wanted to kill myself," she said as she rung out her jacket.

Doesn't she know who I am? I'm Krystal Jung, Best Young Actress of the (past) Year! I'm starring in one of the most anticipated movies this year. That brat! Krystal thought angrily. Wait, am I not famous enough? If I have to tell her...That would be so lame! No way!

"I'm so sorry!" the kid said, bowing low repeatedly. "My apartment is close. I can get you some fresh clothes...?"

Krystal crossed her arms, keeping her expression cold. "Yeah, you should do that."