Chapter Two

Aqua Blue Cinema

 

The apartment complex was dingy, but Krystal hadn't expected top-of-the-line. It was in the older part of town and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. As they went up the stairs, she could hear music and various muffled voices.

Amber, who had told Krystal her name on the way, stopped in front of the loudest door. The sounds of gunfire and helicopters exploded into the hallway as she opened the door. Two boys, one shirtless and the other in a blue tank, had their eyes glued to the giant television.

"Yo," Amber said, rolling her eyes and stepping aside, motioning for Krystal to come in. "Turn it down."

"Noise complaints," she said in an aside to Krystal.

Once of the boys (Mr. Blue, Krystal decided to call him) waved off her comment, but nonetheless turned down the television. He immediately returned to the game.

Krystal wrapped her arms around herself because the air seemed to be on blast. Noticing her shivers, Amber furrowed her brow, grabbed Krystal's wrist, and led her into a small bedroom off the living room. Amber flicked the light on and walked to the dresser.

The bedroom was relatively neat and smelled like fresh linen. What appeared to be family photos covered the wall - birthdays, dinners, and smiling faces seemed to watch Krystal's every move. As she scanned the photos, one picture in particular caught her eye; it was of Amber and some girl at a party. Amber wore a baseball hat and had her arm on the other girl's shoulders. The girl wore a pretty blue dress and held Amber by the waist. They were smiling at each other, looking as if there was no other place they'd rather be in the world.

"I apologize in advance, but this is all I could find. Everything else was dirty," Amber said, startling Krystal. She was holding out a fluorescent pink shirt with super cutesy animals and ridiculously short shorts.

Well, the shorts aren't that bad, but what. the. hell. Krystal thought, taking the offered clothes. First, she almost kills me. Then, she dresses me like a child.

"I see."

Amber rubbed the back of her neck and gave her an awkward smile. "I'm really sorry."

Krystal sighed and tossed the clothes on the bed. She turned away from Amber and started to take her shirt off. "Stop apologizing. It's annoying."

Amber gasped as Krystal, who after changing in front of people for years had lost most of her modesty, began to strip in front of her. She quickly closed and slapped a hand over her eyes. "I, uh, are you? I'm just, gonna. Yeah."

Krystal rolled her eyes at the other girl. "You're a girl, aren't you?"

"Of course, I am," Amber replied, sounding for all the world like a child.

"Then there shouldn't be a problem." By this time, Krystal had finished changing. She folded the wet clothes and turned back to face the other girl.

"You just surprised me is all," Amber said. She still had her hand covering her eyes. Krystal repressed the urge to roll her eyes (again) and pulled Amber's hand away from her face.

"Stop being stupid. Do you have a bag or somewhere I can put these?"

Amber seemed relieved to be of some use and smiled widely at her. She took the clothes and walked to the door. "Yeah, I'll be right back."

She opened the door to reveal Mr. Shirtless-and-Proud posed to knock. He had a bread stick dangling from his mouth. "Hey, Lui-Who, what's with all the-" His eyes flicked behind Amber and onto Krystal. "-and hello to you."

Amber laughed uneasily as she tried to push him out of the doorway. "Shut up, Daniel."

He raised an eyebrow and nudged Amber in the ribs. "I see we have a guest."

"Her name is Krystal."

Krystal gave him, Daniel, her actor smile and a polite bow. "Nice to meet you."

"Daniel." Daniel took the bread stick from his mouth and made a show of bowing to her. Krystal gave him the appropriately shy smile in return. He smirked and called out, "Henry, come here!"

"Why?!" Mr. Blue, now Henry, yelled back. "Busy!"

"Amber has a friend over!"

Krystal heard the game pause and rustling from the living room. "Really, now?"

"Yeah."

Amber let out a growl. She looked at Krystal, giving her a helpless expression and mouthing "I'm sorry." Krystal raised her eyebrows, but otherwise did nothing. Amber pushed past Daniel and disappeared into the living room.

Daniel leaned against the doorway and crossed his arms. She could tell that he was just trying to show off. At least he takes care of himself.

Looking down at his phone, Henry walked into the room. Quickly, he pocketed the phone and looked at Daniel, who just motioned to Krystal. "Now, what's this I hear - you're Krystal Jung!"

Krystal felt triumphant. Finally! Someone recognizes me! She kept the smug smile off her face.

Henry had the "Wow, a celebrity is in my house!" smile, and Daniel looked amused.

"You're even prettier in person," Henry said, walking closer to her. Krystal didn't back away, but that didn't mean she didn't want to. "Can I have your autograph?"

"Um. Sure." She looked past him to the doorway. Amber? "Do you have a pen?"

"Just give me a second!" Henry smiled and ran out of the room. Well, he would have. Except just as he got to the door, Amber appeared with a plastic bag full of wet clothes. "Ahhh!"

He quickly jumped up, pulled Amber to her feet, and continued on his way, yelling his apologies as he went.

"What the hell?" Amber asked, rubbing her . She looked at the occupants for an explanation.

"Apparently, Krystal's famous," Daniel supplied.

Apparently? Jerk. I'm definitely more famous than you'll ever be.

Amber tilted her head as she looked at the other girl. Gripping the bag of clothes to her chest, she smiled and asked, "You're famous?"

Krystal crossed her arms and opened to speak. "Of -"

"Of course, she's famous!" Henry interrupted, sliding into the room with three different types of pens and various Krystal Jung related items. "We watched her drama together, Amber!"

"Drama? Oh! You mean the one about the idols?" she asked, furrowing her brow in confusion.

Henry looked appalled. "No! That one was with Victoria! The other drama!"

"I see," Amber replied.

“It must be hard, right? Going to school and working at the same time," Daniel said. The actress looked at him, forgetting that he had even been in the room. Amber and Henry nodded.

Krystal felt her heart clench. “No, not really. I go to a school with a program for performers.”
 

***


Filled with nerves, Krystal wiped her sweaty palms against her skirt. She looked at the person standing in front of her through her bangs.

“So, you’re leaving?”

Krystal sighed, moving to sit against the wall. She patted the space next to her. “Yeah.”

“Why?” she asked, sitting by her.

“You’ve seen my grades,” she said, trying to make joke around. “I’m missing too much school. My parents are threatening to pull me from the drama.”

“When?”

“Next week,” she mumbled into her knees.

“Oh...” Krystal didn’t think it would be this awkward. “Think of all the new friends you’ll make!”

“Sulli...” Krystal looked at the other girl. Sulli was blinking rapidly and not looking at her. “You know that I-”

“I’m going to see you even less now.” She was looking at her now - with a smile Krystal could tell was fake. Krystal opened to say something, but was cut off when Sulli rolled her eyes and threw her arm around Krystal. “Forget I said anything, okay?”

Krystal sighed, laying her head on the other girl’s shoulder.

“Sulli...”

“Krystal,” Sulli said, turning her head to look directly in the other girl’s eyes. “Shut up.”

Then, she leaned in.