Sehun's Lisp

Sehun's Lisp

            EXO-M and EXO-K came together in China for the recording of the popular variety show Happy Camp. They all stayed in a hotel near the studio, where the members paired off. Sehun and Luhan chose to share a room. The night before they would start shooting their episode of Happy Camp, they chose to stay up late.

            “It’s 9:30. We should brush our teeth and get ready for tomorrow.” Sehun told Luhan. Luhan nodded and followed Sehun into the bathroom. “Luhan, there’s only one sink. Just wait in the room.”

            “But I’m older,” Luhan whined. “Hyungs get to go first.”

            Sehun looked at Luhan for a moment, then quietly left Luhan in the bathroom and lied on his bed.

            After Luhan finished, he came out of the bathroom with a smile. Sehun sat up for his turn. Suddenly, Luhan jumped at him, flattening him on the bed.

            “Ah—ow—hey—Luhan! What are you doing?” Sehun said between strained breaths.

            “Sehun-ah, does my breath smell minty?” He opened his mouth at Sehun’s face. Sehun tried turning his face away, but Luhan traced his movements closely.

            “Ack—Luhan, who’s older again? Get off of me!” He pushed Luhan off to the side and sat up again. “Who’s older again?” he repeated.

            “I’m older…”

            Sehun went to brush his teeth. Luhan peeked in as he was putting in his retainers.

            “Yeth?”

            Luhan started giggling.

            “What…why are you laughing?”

            Luhan kept giggling.

            “Isth thit becauthe of my listhp?”

            Luhan went back into the room, giggling louder. Sehun followed him. Luhan was lying down on the bed, which shook every time he exhaled with a giggle. Sehun took his retainers out.

            “Are you laughing because of my lisp when I have my retainers in?” he asked. Luhan looked up at Sehun.

            “You sound funny when you have your retainers in,” he said, still smiling from laughter.

            “Don’t make me jump on you,” Sehun warned with a playful smile. “Don’t make me touch you with my spit-covered retainers.”

            Luhan continued giggling. Sehun put his retainers back in.

            “Sthop laughing!”

            Luhan burst out laughing. He kicked his legs and tried covering his mouth with his hands.

            “Thop laughing!” Luhan imitated.

            “Luhan, we haf to go to thleep.”

            “Hahahaha!”

            “Don’t sthay I didn’th warn you!” Sehun pounced on top of Luhan, who was lying down laughing on the bed. Luhan began screaming.

            “Sehun-ah! Thehun-ah! You’re heavy!” Sehun grabbed Luhan’s wrists and flattened Luhan into a Y. “What are you doing?!”

            “Am I rearry heavy?” Sehun pressed his body onto Luhan’s.

            “Ahhhhhh!”

            Just then, there was a knocking at the door. Sehun and Luhan became silent and still, looking into each other’s faces. A voice called out through the quiet.

            “Hey! Sehun! Luhan! What are you guys doing in there?!”

            They looked toward the door, then at each other again. The voice boomed again.

            “You do know I have the other key to your room, right? I can come in whenever I want!”

            “Who isth it?” Sehun asked.

            “It’s Kris. Hey, do I have to remind you guys about sleeping?” Luhan started giggling again. “Are you laughing at me?”

            “No, Luhanths not laffing at you. He ith laughfing at me.”

            “Is he laughing at your lisp?” Sehun looked at Luhan. “I can hear it through the door—and I could hear your screaming from my room across the hall.”

            “Sthorry,” Luhan said, mocking Sehun. “We’ll be quieter.”

            There was a clicking sound at the door. Sehun and Luhan, still in the same Y-shape with Sehun on top, looked nervously toward the door. With a quick push, the door opened.

            “What are you…whoa…” Kris said as he walked in and saw them on the bed. Sehun let go of Luhan and sat beside him. Luhan sat up, still smiling, and looked at Kris.

            “Iths not what you think,” Sehun told him. “We weren’t doing anything like that.”

            “Are you sure? It looked and sounded a lot like it.”

            “Like what? What’s it?” Luhan asked. Kris and Sehun looked at him, silently agreeing not to say exactly what they knew it meant.

            “Umm…playing like little kids,” Kris answered. “You scream and jump on each other like little kids on a play date.”

            “But I didn’t sthream.”

            “Seriously, Sehun, you are starting to make me laugh at your lisp,” Kris said, smiling.

            “But we are little kids,” Luhan said and hugged Sehun affectionately. “And Thehun-ah’s lisp is rearry funny!”

            “Justh go back to your room, Krith.”

            “Fine. I’m going. You kids keep the noise down and go to sleep.” Kris turned to leave. “Good night, Luhan. Good night, Thehun!” Kris left guffawing at Sehun.

            “Hey!” Sehun cried out after Kris. Luhan began laughing again once the door closed.

            “He called you Thehun!” Luhan giggled and buried his face in Sehun’s shoulder.

            “Luhan, we rearry should be going to sthleep.” Sehun looked at the clock. “It hasth been fifteen minutesth already.”

            Luhan laughed harder, letting go of Sehun and falling back onto the bed. Sehun looked at him with an amused smile. He fell back to lie down beside Luhan.

            “Ith my lisp really that funny?”

            “Yeth it is!”

            “I’m turning off the lighth, okay?”

            “Okay,” Luhan answered. Sehun sat up and was about to get off of the bed when Luhan grabbed his arm. “Wait!” he said.

            “What is thit?”

            “Will you sleep with me?” Luhan begged.

            “I’m already thleeping with you.”

            “I mean in my bed with me.”

            “What? Why?”

            “I want you to.”

            “I’ll be sthleeping in my bed right over here.”

            “But I want you with me.” Luhan pouted.

            “Are you sthrared of sthomething?”

            “Yes. Sleep with me!”

            “I’m not far away. I’ll be right here.”

            “Sleep with me!”

            “Okay, okay, I’ll sthleep with you.”

            “I’ll get your pillow.” Luhan smiled and let go of Sehun’s arm. As Sehun went to turn off the lights in the bathroom, Luhan took the pillow from the other bed and put it next to his. Sehun walked back to Luhan’s bed, where Luhan was lying down already.

            “Do you need me to tuck you in too?” Sehun asked lightly.

            “If you tuck me in, how are you going to sleep with me?”

            Sehun got into bed with Luhan. He pulled up the blanket Luhan was lying under and was greeted by Luhan’s outstretched arms reaching for him and large, begging eyes. Sehun smiled and lied down. Luhan hugged Sehun under the blanket.

            “Good night, Luhan-hyung.”

            “Good night, Sehun-ah.”

            Sehun turned off the last light over their heads.

 

            Sehun awoke to a quiet clicking sound at the door. Barely able to see the digital clock, he made out that it was a few minutes after midnight. Luhan was still hugging him under the blanket, and his head was resting peacefully on Sehun’s shoulder and neck. Unable to lift his head to look at the door, he could feel his heart beating faster. He wondered who would be unlocking their door at this time of night. Was it a robber picking the lock? He felt his heart beating anxiously in his ears.

            The door clicked open. Sehun held his breath under Luhan’s unwavering tranquility. He could hear the slow pat-pat of footsteps, coming closer and closer. In the dead darkness of the room, he could just barely distinguish an approaching silhouette against the still shadows cloaking it. The ominous outline closed in on Sehun’s side of the bed, until it hovered silently beside him. Sehun was certain that it could hear his heartbeat, which he felt was beating out of his chest. He closed his eyes, useless in the night, and he could only hope that the specter would not hurt him or Luhan. He waited to see what would happen. A deep, resonant voice rumbled softly beside him.

            “Sehun, are you awake?”

            Sehun opened his eyes and exhaled sharply in relief, realizing who it was.

            “Kris! You really scared me!” he whispered, being careful not to wake up Luhan. His heartbeat calmed and quieted.

            “I just came to see if you guys were sleeping well. Where did your lisp go?”

            “What? Oh, I just pretend I still have a lisp from my retainers.”

            “Really? Why?” Kris questioned in disbelief.

            “Because it really makes Luhan happy when he hears it. He always laughs no matter how many times he hears it.” Sehun answered. He gently kissed Luhan’s forehead.

            “I guess he doesn’t know it’s fake?”

            “Nope, he doesn’t. I love his smile and his laugh. It makes me feel good inside.

            “I see.” Kris started walking toward the door, feeling his way. “You must really love him to do that.”

            Sehun didn’t respond.

            “Good night, Sehun.”

            “Good night, Kris.” The door closed quietly. Sehun felt he was alone with sleeping Luhan.

            “Yes I do,” he whispered to himself. He closed his eyes and fell back into a deep, peaceful sleep. Luhan smiled.