Friends & Fries

Quarter to Noon

 

 
 
Chapter 4- 
 
“Hi. I am Kim Junmyeon but you can call me Suho.” The stranger introduced himself although he really didn’t need to because everyone knew Suho. He was the student council vice-president and the captain of the soccer team. 
 
“Yeah I’ve seen you around school before…” Dambi confessed.
 
“Really? It's probably because of my dashing looks...” he joked bashfully, “That’s great. Sehun asked me to tell you that he’s sick and that's why he couldn't  make it.” 
 
“Sehun sent you here?” asked Dambi, her tone displaying her obvious surprise. So he was sick and that’s why he was missing school. Her chest felt light now. She wondered if she was significant to Sehun.
 
“You are Dambi…right? I didn’t get the wrong person?” he questioned after noting her tone of surprise. Dambi nodded. 
 
 “Good." He looked across the empty rooftop. "Sehun said I would find you here because you would be alone and that you're a strange person.”
 
Dambi frowned hearing this new piece of information that she wished Suho hadn't have shared.
 
“He’s really sorry he can’t make it to your tutoring sessions.” 
 
“Tutoring sessions?” Dambi had no clue what Suho was talking about and Suho, seeing her clueless expression, became visibly confused himself. 
 
“Oh! You’re right. He missed quite a lot of sessions. That’s too bad but we can catch up next week.” Dambi lied. Of course that jerk would do that. She understood Sehun’s clear intention. Suddenly she didn’t feel so happy anymore. He clearly told Suho that she was his tutor so Suho wouldn’t think that they were acquantainces, friends or whatever the heck they were.
 
“Are you eating lunch by yourself?” asked Suho, flashing another charming smile that Dambi was starting to find annoying. She just wanted to be left alone now.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“What? Come join me and my friends.”
 
“No!” Dambi gasped. That was the last thing she needed.
 
“No really. I’m fine being alone.” Dambi was literally panicking inside.
 
“I insist Dambi.” Suho was convinced on his part. Oh I am going to kill Oh Sehun, she thought.
 
“Suho. Really it’s fine. I'm fine.”
--------------------------------------------------------
 
Dambi had no idea how she found herself at the school cafeteria, sitting between Yoona and Krystal. She was sitting at the popular group table and students passing by the table looked at her and whispered among themselves.
 
“So…how do you know Sehun?” scowled Krystal, not trying to hide any bit of bitterness at Dambi’s presence.
 
“I tutor him…” Dambi replied plainly. She didn't take out her lunch. She wasn't hungry anymore.
 
“Well Sehun said that he was nearly failing math and he needed a tutor.” Luhan remarked. He sat in front of Dambi, and he smiled at her.
 
Dambi wanted to thank Luhan for the save. “Right. I teach him math.” 
 
“Well that makes sense cause I was wondering why he would talk to you.” Krystal commented loudly, and she received a quick nudge from Yoona.
 
“Oh my god Krystal, You can’t just say that!”
 
“Well what? Sehun doesn’t even look at girls. I wasn’t trying to offend her,” Krystal replied back sharply still glaring at Dambi. Krystal took a stab at her salad, making Dambi flinch.
 
The boy sitting beside Luhan was listening to his I-pod so loudly that you could hear the blasting music from his headphones. He looked disinterested in everything. Suho joined the table, and two other boys joined him.
 
“Hey guys!" said one boy. "Oh who is that?” said another, looking at Dambi.
 
“Guys meet Dambi. She is Sehun’s math tutor. Dambi meet Wu Fan and Yixing.” Luhan introduced them to Dambi.
 
“His math tutor…” The boy sitting beside Luhan finally took notice of Dambi and looked taken back.  After a thought, he suddenly smirked. He was making Dambi feel uncomfortable.
 
"We're having a soccer match tomorrow lunch. You should come watch us Dambi." said Yixing and he flashed her a wink. What a flirt, thought Dambi.
 
"Ew stop tring to make moves on Dambi. You'll corrupt her!" shouted Luhan and threw his fries at Yixing. Dambi laughed at the two. The lunch period passed quickly after that with Luhan and Yixing bickering, Krystal and Yoona chattering about their recent discoveries from magazines, and Kris trying to stop Yixing and Luhan.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
The next day Dambi walked towards the bus. She wondered if Sehun would be at school today. Oh the soccer match, she suddenly remembered. She was contemplating whether or not she wanted to watch sweaty jocks play soccer on the school field.
 
"Maybe I'll bring Sori along..." she whispered.
 
When she reached the bus-stop, she joined the group of students from her school waiting for the bus. She entered the crowded bus, others were pushing her and she fell on someone when the bus suddenly started its engine.
 
"Oh I am so sorrry!" Dambi apologized and looked at the stranger. It was that boy who sat beside Luhan at the cafeteria yesterday! He was listening to music again. He looked away from her.
 
She wondered if he recognized her. He's so strange, she thought.
 
When they reached the school's bus stop, all the students scurried out the bus. 
 
Dambi walked slowly towards the school's gates.
 
"Hey math tutor girl!" Someone shouted behind Dambi and she turned around only to find the boy from the bus.
 
"I knew I saw you somewhere. I just remembered." He smiled and Dambi was surprised to find that he could have other expressions other than his disinterested frown that he wore most often.
 
"Sorry I fell on you earlier." she apologized again.
 
"How do you know Sehun?" he asked, now walking in pace beside her.
 
"I'm his math tutor." she replied, non-nonchalantly.  It was funny how Dambi was nearly failing her advanced functions class and now she was "tutoring" someone else.
 
"Oh don't lie to me. Sehun is a math wizz. One of the best in the class." Baekhyun laughed, and Dambi felt embarrassed.
 
"But Luhan said yester-" she stammered.
 
"Oh please. Luhan was only trying to save your face. That idiot. So how do you know Sehun?"
 
"I don't know. We're not really friends or anything. Um..." Dambi wasn't sure what to say.
 
"Oh. Well I'm Byun Baekhyun. I guess I'll see you around." He said and quickly ran towards the school building, disappearing within the crowd.
 
She wasn't sure how to feel knowing people knew about her lie. It was Sehun's lie actually so it wasn't any of her concern. She wasn't sure how she felt about the recent events in her life. Things were changing because of Sehun and she wasn't sure if things were ever going to be the same again.
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I am actually the worst writer ever. I updated after like what? 5 months! It's one of my new years resolutions to write more.
I got my first KPOP album a few months back. EXO K's MAMA! I'm waiting for their new album so I can collect all their albums from now. Come back EXO already.
Thanks to Jaeminchul for the lovely poster!!