Romeo & Juliet

Quarter to Noon

Chapter 2- Romeo & Juliet

It had been a full week and every lunch period, Sehun would never fail to show up at the rooftop. Dambi had first threatened him to leave but by now, she had given up. The two would hold short conversations and Dambi even learned a few things about Sehun like how his favourite colour was purple, how he owned two dogs named Sunny & Charlie, and one day he even told her how his grandparents had met.

“Dambi, how did your parents meet?” Dambi was puzzled by his bizarre question and stared at Sehun questioningly.  “Well did they have a first meeting like in the movies? Did they fall in love at first sight or have a Romeo and Juliet story where their families opposed of their relationship?”

Dambi choked on the water she had just been drinking and laughed spitefully. She quickly stopped when she met Sehun’s serious glare.

“Oh I am sorry but Sehun; you have been reading way too much romance novels!”  Dambi tried to stifle her laughter. “My parents don’t have a romantic story but it’s rather cliché. Apparently, once upon a time my mother was the most popular girl in her college campus. All the boys were head over heels for her. Many guys gave her gifts, love letters and some even proposed to her—“

Sehun abruptly interrupted and exclaimed with disbelief, “Hold up--you sure you’re her daughter? You must’ve gotten your looks from your father’s side.”

 “Ha-ha. Very funny.” Dambi glared at Sehun and stuck her tongue out, “well whatever—so she was a popular queen bee and my father was a complete nerd. They got closer because he tutored her. My mother said that he was so shy that he couldn’t even look into her eyes when he tried to teach her.”

 “So a complete dork ended up with the hot chick. Life is so not predictable.” Sehun stated, his voice filled with surprise.

Dambi shrugged, “She said she found his bashfulness adorable and she felt that he was different from any other boy who chased her.” Danbi sighed and put on a frown.

“What’s with the long frown?” asked Sehun, moving his face closer to meet her eyes. “I would’ve thought a guy like him would treasure his wife.”

“It’s funny because you would think that but I can’t picture any of that happening. Things are different now. My dad is a workaholic and he barely even looks at her and she acts like a small puppy craving for his attention.”

 

Dambi rose up from her chair and rested her arms on the railings. “One-sided love hurts. I would never leave someone hanging like that—passing on false hope that one day everything will change. That one day you’ll always love them as much as they love you.”

Sehun hopped on and sat on the railings beside her. “Maybe it just happens with marriage. It’s hard seeing many people in happy marriages. Only one in a handful is actually successful. My grandparents had a perfect love.” Dambi was taken by surprise at how his voice softened when he talked about his grandparents.

“My grandpa used to own a small noodle shop and the restaurant across the street had a very pretty waitress. He said it was love at first sight. They always exchanged glances at one another while they worked. One day, he finally got the guts to ask her out on a date. They’ve been inseparable since and 50 years has passed since then. My grandpa says he still feels butterflies in his stomach when he’s around her like he did when he first met her.”

“That’s amazing.” Whispered Dambi, but she was really only distracted by Sehun’s smile as he spoke of his grandparents. You know you should smile more often, Dambi thought in her head.  Sehun stopped smiling and gazed at Dambi and she felt her cheeks burning. Oh crap I said that out loud, she thought.

“I mean you look different when you smile. Usually you put a very cold face that can be intimidating but you look genuine when you smile--so you should smile more.” Dambi couldn’t believe the words coming out of . What was he doing to her?

“You’re weird. Just admit it that you think I’m y. ” Sehun fixed his stare and laughed at her again. Dambi felt so stupid at the moment. Why did she even bother complimenting a jerk like him?

“You’re the weird one going around asking strangers about their parent’s love life.” Dambi crossed her arms, clearly annoyed by his remarks.

“Okay maybe I am weird. But I was just curious and how can you call us strangers? We share this rooftop now and chat about anything. I practically know you more than any stranger would,” said Sehun, and the tone of his voice surprised Dambi. He sounded bitter and…hurt.

Dambi sat back down her chair and sighed in defeat. She didn’t know what to call their relationship. They never once talked to each other outside the rooftop after that one hour they spent together every day. It was just a week ago when she pushed him away and now they were sharing stories about their personal lives.

“I say we’re friends now. Don’t you think so?”  Sehun stated as he smirked. Dambi awfully despised that smirk. His smirk always looked as though he was mocking her and he could read all her thoughts.

Friends. The word echoed through her head. She realized she was getting too familiar with the way he spoke, how he would smile on very rare occasions, and the way he would face her and talk the hour away. She was becoming too familiar with Oh Sehun. And boy did that make her feel uneasy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay I actually can’t believe that I have readers. *gives a giant big hug I’ve just been doing freestyle writing with this story so I have no idea where it’s going or what the purpose is. I hope I didn’t bore you too much. *cries