Cooking Day With Kyung

It's Actually Been You

Kai's POV

''Is this all of it?''

''Just calculus. I'm working on my AP Physics right now.'' I held my head low as my father went over my homework making sure everything was to his standard. I hated this time of the day.

''When you're finished with that you should spend the rest of the day studying.'' He looked down at my work. ''You're not as prepared as you should be at this age. You're brother was already in seven AP classes by his junior year. You only have five.''

''Yes, we agreed that I could take five this year, and take two more over the summer, remember?''

''Still, you won't be ready for exams without studying, so stay in today.''

''Yes, sir.'' I grabbed my binder, and walked through the terrible silence of the house to my room.

I'm tired of working so much! It's all he ever wants me to do!

Suddenly there was a knock on my door. ''Come in.''

My step mother poked her head through the crack. ''Did you show him your work?''

''Yes.'' I sat back in my swivle chair.

''Good, I think he's proud of how hard you've been working since the move.''

Sure~ My father being proud of me was like a lion admiring a mouse.

''I'm sure of it.'' I grabbed my pencil, and started working on my physics assignment. ''Close the door when you leave.'' 

''Okay, ask your brother if you need any help.'' She smiled before leaving. When I was sure I was alone I slammed my pencil onto the desk. This life was not something I wanted. I didn't want to be part of an intelectually rich family that didn't have fun with eachother. That didn't enjoy eachother's company. I didn't want an older brother that looked down at me for not having the same passion as him. I wanted...freedom.

Kyungsoo's POV

''Kyung, can you make me something?'' Shim begged from the couch. It was Saturday, and Kai was stuck home studying so the weekend was just for Shim, and I. Something I've missed ever since Kai started hanging out with us.

''Do I look like a chef to you?''

''Ne!'' She laughed loudly. 

''Ani! Shireo!'' Of course I would make anything in the world for Shim, but it was too much fun teasing her.

''Dude! Seriously, get your off the couch, and make something. I'm starving.''

''Yah! Watch the language, you're a young lady Ms. Lee.''

''Fine, Kyungsoo, would you please make something for me to eat?''

''Only if you help.''

''Seriously?! I even asked nicely!'' She threw herself on the couch.

''Oh come on. It'll be fun I promise.'' I held her hand, and brought her to the kitchen. We've probably held hands over a million times since the first time we met, but it still made my stomach twist everytime we did. By now she assumed my hands were just naturally sweaty.

''I don't like cooking the food that goes in my mouth.'' She whined.

''I know you don't, that's why I'm forcing you to.'' I pulled out a few bowls, and turned the stove on. 

''Can we make that alfredo pasta you made on your sister's birthday?''

''Sure, anything you want.'' I pulled out the noodles, and put the water to boil. ''This doesn't really require much attention, so we can just chill until the water boils.'' I joined her on the counter top.

''How do you do it?'' 

''What?'' 

''Cook so easily. You have your mom, and dad home. Why do you always cook for everyone?''

''Yah, why are you asking me that?'' I chuckled.

''Seriously! You never really tell me why you love to cook so much.'' 

''I don't know. The same reason you like sports. I just like it. I like being able to express myself with the food I make, and make people feel something when they taste it.'' 

''Wah~ You're such a deep person.'' 

''Shutup..'' I gave her a small push. 

''Anyway, I think it's nice you have something to be passionate about. When we graduate you'll become a famous chef, Kai will either be a rich doctor, or a dancer, and I'll live as the trophy wife.''

''For me'' I mumbled not loud enough for her to hear.

''Mworago?''

''Nothing! The noodle's are ready...'' I jumped off the counter, and turned off the stove. ''Pass me the sauce will you-'' She jumped off the counter bumping right into me making the hot water spill on her clothes.

''Shim be careful!''

''Kyung!! This is hot!!! Help me!!'' She screamed sitting on the floor.

I held a cloth under the sink with cold running water, and passed it over her shirt. ''Is that better?'' Inside I was panicing at the thought of burning Shim. I didn't want to show it too much, but I was really scared. 

''Mhhm....'' She bit her lip. I knew that look. She was holding back the tears that barely ever fell from her eyes. Shim didn't cry often. In fact she probably only cried once a year, but when she did cry it was very dramatic. 

''It's okay to cry if it hurts Shim. No one's here to see.'' My family went out for the day. 

''It hurt really bad...'' She sobbed into my chest. ''I'm sorry I spilled the pot.''

''Yah, do you think I care about something stupid like that?'' I patted her head, as she continued to sob. Shim always made me promise not to tell anyone when she cried. I never understood why. No matter how tough she wanted to look, everyone cried. It was natural.

''This is why I don't like cooking. My stomach really hurts now Kyung.'' She sniffed. 

''If your stomach hurts then I'll fix it arasso? Stop crying Shim.'' I pulled her off of my chest, and saw her red puffy face.

''Can I borrow one of your shirts?'' 

''Yeah, I'll go get one.'' I ran upstairs to pull out a t shirt, and in perfect timing my phone began to ring. Based on the ringtone I knew it was Kai.

''Wassup, Kai?''

''Nothing. I'm going to murder myself if I study anymore formulas! Please tell me I can hang out with you, and Shim.'' 

''Shim said she couldn't hang out today, she has too many chores.'' I don't know how I ended up lying, but I did, and I felt terrible about it. I just really wanted to continue my day with Shim alone, even if things weren't going great at the moment.

''Well, can we hang out? Maybe you can give me some tips with what to talk about with her.''

''I can't I'm cooking for my family right now. Maybe tomorrow mm?''

''....O-Okay, talk to you later...'' I could hear the let down in his voice.

''Bye.'' I hung up quickly, and returned to Shim. ''Here.'' I said handing her one of my favorite shirts. If anyone deserved to wear it she did.

''Thanks.'' She walked into the bathroom, and came out quickly. 

''You could be my twin.'' I smiled.

''Really? Am I that ugly?'' She sniffed still crying a little from the burns.

''Yah~ I'm y, and you know it.'' Instead of joining in on my laughter Shim stayed silent. ''That was a joke...''

''I know. I just...'' She sat on the couch, and started sobbing again. Why was she still crying? Did it hurt that bad? 

''Shim, waegeurae?'' I rushed over to her side. ''If it still hurts I think we should go to the hospital.''

''Ani, it doesn't hurt anymore....'' Her tears dripped onto her thighs. ''The burns don't.''

''Then what hurts?'' I searched her body for any scars. 

''I don't know...'' She played with her fingers, and it finally hit me. I was such an idiot for forgetting. Today was October the 12th. Her mother's death anniversary.

''This is why I hate crying!'' She half chuckled, half sobbed. ''This is so stupid!''

''Shim, it's me. You don't have to pretend like you don't care.'' She rested her head on my shoulder, and cried some more. Today marked three years since her mom died. Her family never talked about it. She never talked about it. Except for today when I'm sure it's been hard for her to focus on anything else.

''I don't care! I shouldn't care...it was so long ago.''

''Lee Jinshim, it was just three years ago. Some people need a lifetime to get over losing a parent. Crying doesn't make you any less of a human. It actually does the opposite. And who is the one person that will sit with you for as long as you need?''

''..You..'' She sniffed. 

''Exactly, I'm here for you Shim.'' I held onto her shoulder even tighter. I would've held her forever if she needed me to. 

''Thanks Kyung!'' She forced a smile. ''You're the best friend I'll ever have.''

''Yah~ who else is supposed to be your best friend?'' It's certainly not Kai.

A/N: Meh, this chapter was alright I guess. I'm stuck >.< I have chapters in my head that I want to write, but when I get to actually putting it into words I end up making something completely different! Ugh, next time I'll try to stick to the plan lol. Thanks for reading, and commenting  <3