1. Just Maybe

The Epitome of Innocence

 

[Chanyeol’s POV]

Shoot, I inwardly cursed, the obnoxious blaring of the alarm clock rising to intolerable levels.  I fumbled, half awake and bleary eyed, for the clock perched precariously on top of a pile of half opened textbooks.

Last night had been one of the many, recently reoccurring, unproductive study nights. I remember sitting on my bed and chewing the tip of my mechanical pencil, trying to teach myself how to calculate the mean score of a set of data.

I had been unsuccessful, and had quickly fallen asleep around 3am.

Yawning, I swung my legs out from under the sheets, and promptly stepped all over my notes that lay scattered across the carpet.

I could NOT be bothered by the fact that I may have crumpled up some important notes. I was late, AGAIN. And what was worse: it was finals week.

- “Be on time, or forfeit your final and receive a ZERO,” the professor had threatened, looking out at the lecture hall—full of bleary-eyed and half away students.

And here I was, running around the apartment, one leg into my jeans, a shirt pulled over my head, but neither arms through the sleeves. I rattled off a quick list of things I needed to shove into my backpack—which of course was nowhere to be found.

How convenient.

- “Pencils; notebook; uh… oh! Textbooks where are my textbooks” I grabbed for a pencil haphazardly wedged between the pages of Baroque Art History and tossed it into my open backpack; along with my notebook, which was quickly followed by a statistics textbook and a Chinese one as well.

Go go go go

Sneakers on, clothes FULLY on; and I was out the door, running to reach the bus stop before the bus got there. According to my watch I had a minute to full out sprint to the bus stop which was roughly 3 blocks away from my apartment.

- “Things just keep getting better and better,” I muttered to myself, putting on a bit of speed and tearing down the sidewalk.

The yellow sign “BUS STOP” loomed ahead, and I could clearly see the black paint peeling off of each letter. Unfortunately I could also see the back of the bus that was slowly turning the corner.

I stopped, panting out of breath and threw some of my notes on the ground in frustration. If I got a zero on this final there was no way I was coming out with a C or higher.

- “Dammit,” I cursed; at both my luck and my notes that were starting to swirl away down the pavement. I made to chase after them, but the spinning papers flew into a boy who, startled, stopped and looked down at the papers.

He wasn’t tall, not in comparison to myself. He wore a navy blue sweater with stars stitched across the chest; with both sleeves pushed up to his elbows. He was skinny, and had fair, pale skin.

I stopped, and stared at his face. He had fair features, small eyes, and light brown hair that fell just above his eyes. He his lips a little before bending down and picking up my fly away notes.

- “I think these are yours,” he said unsurely, yet meeting my gaze steadily.

I nodded, unable to form words. The only noise that left my mouth was “uh…” and this seemed to make the other boy laugh. His eyes scrunched up—making it look like he had his eyes closed—and the sides of his mouth quirked up in a lopsided smile.

- “Are you waiting for the bus too then,” he asked, seeing as I had still not regained my ability to speak coherently.

- “Uh.. I Uh… yes! Yes I am” I nearly gushed out, happy that whatever had seized me a moment ago, was now gone. “Actually, I just missed the bus I was trying to catch…”

- “Don’t worry!” the other piped up in an overly enthusiastic tone, “the next bus should be here within 10 minutes.” He scratched his head looking thoughtful.

This kid is kind of cute, I found myself thinking. He looked young, maybe no older than 18 if I had to guess. His boyish features were attractive to say the least. Shaking myself out of my reverie I noticed he a backpack slung over one of his shoulders.

- “Are you a student at the nearby university,” I asked him. If he is, I’ve never seen him around until today.

- He nodded, “I’m a second year student! And you? I’m guessing by the looks of your notes that you’re a student at the same university, am I right?”

Second year student! That means he’s at least 20 years old like me. How could someone so cute look so young, but be actually older?

“OH! Uh, yeah, I’m a second year student as well! I’m studying biological and computational sciences. What about you?”

- “Pre-med,” he replied, rearranging the shoulder strap of his backpack.

Smart kid

- “Uh, don’t you have finals?” I asked him, realizing that he should be in the same boat as me.

He nodded, but bit his lip thoughtfully, “though they aren’t going to start for another hour or so. I was planning on going to the library to get a little bit of studying in.”

- “oh…” was all I could muster up after seeing him bite his lip like that. He laughed—presumably at me—and gave me a funny look.

- “Are you ok? You seem nervous and flustered…” the other asked me.

It was all I could to do hide the red that colored my cheeks. “uh no-no… I’ m just really worried about my finals that are coming up. Not to mention that I’m late!”

He gave me a sympathetic look before patting me on the back “tough luck, I’m Baekhyun by the way!” He held out his small hand towards me.

- “Chanyeol” I responded, dropping a book in the process of trying to shake Baekhyun’s hand. I flushed dark red and he laughed, shaking my hand and then bending over to pick up my textbook that had fallen down.

- “You’re such a klutz!” he said laughing—that made me blush even more.

- “I’m sorry, I’m just… I woke up late and…” I sighed heavily just giving up trying to explain my situation and just closed my mouth firmly.

- “Don’t worry about it” Baekhyun smiled at me, “you’re not the only one who has one of those off days. Oh,” he leaned forward to look around the corner, in the process his shirt fell lower exposing the white skin of his chest. I my lips involuntarily and gulped.

- “the bus is here!” he cheered. “uh, I guess I’ll see you around campus then? It was nice meeting you, Chanyeol.”

And with that he reinserted his headphones and turned up the music on his iPhone. I sighed in relief when he chose a seat in the very front of the bus; me, I took a seat in the back.

There was something alluring about Baekhyun, maybe it was how cute and pleasing his face was, or his pale skin under his shirt. Oh god I sound like a ert.

The bus ride was more entertaining than usual. I observed Baekhyun from the back of the bus, watching him lean his head on the cool glass of the window, his brown hair waving in the slight breeze coming from the window. He pulled out a white hat and placed it sideways on his head.

There was such a stark contrast between the two of us. I myself was wearing black rimmed glasses with a black hoodie pulled up over my messy hair.

He was without glasses, blue star sweater and a white cap on his head. I admitted that I liked the way he dressed up.

*ping* next stop university

- “that’s my stop!” and I got up quickly and rushed down the aisle to get to the door; in the process I bumped into Baekhyun (again) who dropped his iPhone.

- “ugh,” I groaned, “I’m sorry I’m sorry,” and I bent down to retrieve the phone… and the screen was shattered from top to bottom…

- “ Don’t worry about it” he said still smiling at me, “Here.” He took out a piece of paper and wrote down a number on it. Here’s my home number. I live around the same area as the bus stop. You can stop buy and we can discuss how you’re going to repay me for my phone.

He pressed the paper into my hand and winked at me. His fingers brushing across my own palm made me jump as if a jolt of electricity had gone through me.

- “Oh ok…” I mumbled.

- “and Chanyeol?” he turned around, “It’s cute when you keep blushing, you shouldn’t stop” and he left.

---- after finals ----

- “I think the statistics final KILLED me,” I bemoaned, putting my head in my hands.

- Next to me SuHo muttered darkly, “Well at least you aren’t alone in this… that test was incredibly difficult. I think  I put C for 25 of the answers.”

- I looked over at him, “Well I guess I know who’s NOT going on to calculus next year.”

He held out his hand for a high five and I returned it half heartedly. “Statistics for the second year in a row.”

I got up, stretching and tossed all my stat notes into the nearest trash can. I glanced over a Su Ho who was already checking to see if grades had been posted.

I rolled my eyes at him, “Do you want to grab something to eat?”

- “I…” he stopped short, “I would, but it looks like someone is looking for you.” He smirked knowingly and threw a glance behind me.

Not entirely sure what he meant, I turned around and I saw the familiar white hat, and then Baekhyun as he waved at me, smiling.

- “New friend?” asked Su Ho, looking at me, his eyes laughing at me.

- “If breaking someone’s phone, and then having your notes fly into them is considering having a new friend, then yes, I have a new friend.” And I stuck my tongue out childishly at him.

- Su Ho looked at me with wide eyes… “You broke his phone?? Good job klutz. Anyhow! Good luck with that… I’m going to grab something to eat with Yi Xing. Later!”

He shouldered his backpack and walked off in the direction of the performing arts center; Yi Xing was always there, no matter what time of day it was.

I turned around again to look for Baekhyun and he was standing right under my nose smiling brightly

- “Hi” he said his eyes crinkling up at the corners

- “Er… hi?” I looked at him quizzically.

- “am I making you uncomfortable,” He asked with wide eyes. He moved closer until I could feel his soft breath on my skin/

- “N-No…” I stuttered and he laughed again, pulling away and looking at me carefully.

- “ So I finished finals earlier and I decided to call in my favor. What to treat me to lunch?”

- “oh, sure! I was going to go with Su Ho, but he decided to meet up with his other friend from the PAC”

- “Awesome; I’ll pick the place,” he said excitedly and took my hand, leading me across the quad. My own hand nearly enveloping his.

- I tried to strike up a conversation, “So how was your final?”

- “Oh it was really easy, I studied plenty before the test.” He seemed uninterested in talking about school so I tried again.

- “You’re not really going to let me off the hook because I’m treating you to lunch are you?”

- he glanced back at me laughing “you’re funny, and no, it’s not over yet, Chanyeol! I’ll tell you the rest at the restaurant.”

- “You’re kind of bossy aren’t you,” I said irritably.

- “And you don’t seem to mind, besides I like it when you have that lost puppy look on your face.”

What look? I don’t look like a lost puppy! I had no words to respond back and I flinched when he leaned up on tiptoes and pinched my cheek.

-  I was becoming more and more habituated to his odd actions and his straightforwardness “And what was that for this time.”

- “ I wanted to see your reaction, and your cheeks looked squishy too. Oh look, we are here!” and he pointed to the Chinese restaurant up ahead.

---- During lunch ----

- “Can I see your phone,” Baekhyun asked through a mouth full of noodles. I nodded, wiping my hands on my napkin and taking my iPhone out of my pocket.

- “We have the same phone,” he piped up, seemingly delighted, “If you don’t mind I am going to use your phone for the day until I can figure out if I can get another phone. It’s the least you can do since you shattered my own phone’s screen.” He held up his phone, with a screen that was beyond repair.

- “O-Ok… I guess I’ll give you my number for my apartment so you can drop off my phone when you’re done.” I scribbled my number on a piece of paper and tossed it to him.

- “Great! Now let’s go, I’m full.” And he got up and went around to my chair and wrapped his arms around my chest and pulled me up.

I squirmed in his arms, in a very non-manly way. “Is everything ok?” he asked me.

- “Yeah, I’m fine, I’m just…” and I paused for a second; and Baekhyun looked expectantly at me, “I’m just ticklish around that area”

Uh oh

His eyes suddenly glinted mischievously and I backed away from him.

- “What are you doing…” I placed my hands out in front of me as if to block him from coming any closer, but he slipped around me and hugged me from behind again.

Ah! He didn’t let go quickly either, we just stood like that in the middle of the restaurant for about a minute before I coughed trying to get his attention.

- “Baekhyun,” I tried whispering to him, “Let go of me, people are starting to stare at us.” And it was true, several pairs of eyes had strayed towards us.

- “But don’t you like it Chanyeollieeee,” he whined at me before untangling his arms from my waist, “Ok fine, let’s go then.” And he led me out of the restaurant as I tossed—hopefully enough money—on the table to pay for the meal.

- “Thank you,” I shouted out to the owner of the restaurant. They bowed back in return, just as I was whisked out of sight by Baekhyun.

- “Chanyeollie? Since when did I get a nickname? Do I look like your pet dog or something?”

- “You DO have that cute lost puppy look whenever you’re confused. But I like the nickname.” He looked out me pouting, “Why? Do you not like the name? I can stop if you want.”

Baekhyun looked downcast and dropped his hands to his sides. I sighed inwardly and rolled my eyes. For a second year student he acted more like a love struck five year old.

- “Fine fine you can call me that name if you want.” And I pulled his face up, “Just… *sighs* just don’t look so glum and sad. Someone might have thought I killed your favorite puppy of something.”

- He gave me a quick hug and said “see, even you have a thing for puppies. And you’re my puppy, even if you are taller than me.”

Oh god what does he want from me! Seriously. I broke his phone and now he’s acting like we’re a couple… admittedly, he IS super cute…

He tugged my sleeve, “can we go home now? I’m tired. And I still have 2 more finals tomorrow that I haven’t studied for yet.”

A part of me was happy that this whirlwind-of-a-day was finally coming to an end, but another part—albeit smaller—was sad to leave Baekhyun.

I put my feelings aside for the moment. My feelings were forever getting in the way of everything. They were complicated and for me they seemed to make even the simplest situations difficult to handle.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. “Let’s go find the nearest bus stop, ok?”

Maybe Baekhyun read my body language as “tired and not up for excessive talking”, but either way he seemed more subdued; he even stopped talking, instead resorting to nodding and only if it was necessary.

I hope I wasn’t too mean to him… he looks so downcast.

I mentally punched myself, why am I being so sentimental to someone I hardly know? Towards someone that doesn’t mean anything to me. What’s WRONG with me…

When the bus doors opened he hurried me onto the bus. This time he chose a seat in the back and I sat next to him. Was I supposed to sit next to him?

- “It is ok if I sit here, right?”

- “mhm,” He nodded emphatically, “I usually like company on the bus. It makes me feel safe, especially at night when all the crazies get on.”

I knew what he meant, nighttime on the bus was a safety hazard, all the drunks and homeless people usually got on around this time and it inevitably led to disturbing the other bus riders. Baekhyun looked so innocent and defenseless, how could he take the bus home this late at night knowing that there might be some drunkard sitting next to him breathing down his neck.

At least he has me…

- “C-Chanyeol?” he yawned, and I looked over at him, finally realizing how tired he looked. The dark circles under his eyes were more noticeable than usual and tears came to his eyes as he yawned.

- “Yeah?” I asked him in return.

- “Do… I’m sorry, I’m really tired. Do you mind if I sleep on your for a little bit?” At that my eyes went a little wide and I made a funny noise—somewhere between a yelp and a gasp.

- “Sure, if you’re that tired.” And I leaned back in my chair expecting him to lay his head on my shoulder, but instead he put his head on my lap and sighed contentedly.

I think… oh god my face is turning super red I can feel it.

My face felt all hot just seeing him sleeping in my lap, his arms hanging lankily over my legs and his face resting uncomfortably close to my crotch. [ >//////< ]

He rubbed his face, brushing against the front of my jeans, and I bit back a moan.

Oh god, where’s the bus stop where’s the bus stop. THANK GOD. I mentally cheered as the bus stop loomed into view.

I carefully moved his head onto the seat, but he didn’t wake up, not even a little bit. *sighs* How is he going to get back to his apartment if he isn’t even awake?

- “Ya, Baekhyunnie, time to wake up. We are here.” I murmured to him. He didn’t open his eyes, but mumbled something in his sleep.

- “Yeollie, don’t leave me, please?” At least I thought he said it in his sleep… either way, I couldn’t leave him sleeping on the bus. I slung him over my shoulders, making sure that his arms draped in front of him and I got off the bus slowly…

--- The apartment ---

Thank god he was light, but it also helped that my apartment was nearby too. Poor kid, he was out cold when I finally unlocked my apartment door. I didn’t know if this was ok, bringing him to my apartment. But it didn’t matter anyways, I couldn’t figure out where his kept his key on him.

After five minutes of patting him down, I gave up, afraid that he would wake up and think that I was trying to him. [ >//////< ]

I left him on the couch, and threw a blanket over him—noting his cute, peaceful expression. Then I went off to change into some basketball shorts and a t-shirt, and to take off my contacts. My eyes were stinging from wearing them all day.

It was a relief to put on my glasses again. On returning to the living room I saw he was awake and rubbing his eyes in the most adorable way possible.

- “Oh, I’m sorry,” he yawned sleepily at me, “I didn’t mean to fall asleep for such a long time. I can go if you want.” And he started to get up, but I pushed him firmly back onto the couch which surprised him.

- “You realize it’s about 4:00 in the morning, silly. You can stay here for tonight and then I’ll bring you back to your place tomorrow.” I ruffled his hair.

- “Thank you,” he said and leaned forward to kiss me on the cheek.

- “Ah erm… well… goodnight then,” I responded, starting to walk back to my bedroom.

- “wait,” he grabbed my wrist lightly, “Uhm, if it’s ok with you, could I… sleep with you? I sleep better when I am near other people.”

It’s just sleeping, Chanyeol, don’t get excited, don’t get excited.

“Ok, if that will really help you sleep.” And he followed me to my bedroom. I slid under the covers first and flinched slightly when I felt his small figure pressing against my body. His shirt had ridden up and I could feel his soft skin under my cool fingers.

He shivered feeling my touch as I pulled him closer to me. He didn’t fight it, but snuggled in closer, putting his hands over mine.

- “Good night, Chanyeollie,” he whispered in the dark. And all I could do was smile like a dork.

This feeling, this incredible feeling of being so close to someone; how could I let this go? The coolness of his skin on my skin, feeling his body molding with my own; it was pleasurable and it made me happy. Why deny myself the single shred of happiness that has finally come my way?

Why push away someone as loveable as Baekhyun? And I looked down again at the sleeping boy in my arms.

I might not love you now, but at the rate you’re going, I’ll be in love with you by the end of the day.

- “Sweet dreams, Baekhyunnie.” And I kissed the top of his head before nodding off myself.

 

[a/n] I hope you all enjoyed this first-time oneshot / short story :) I find myself liking the Baekyeol couple more and more.

- xiaoOakysan-