Chapter 1

Rust

 

The chalk in his hand carried across the board with much flow albeit the abrupt natural of lifting the chalk from the board to continue with another word. The piece of chalk came to a halt as he finished his train of thoughts. He’d pause to think for two more minutes before he used his hand to smear away a few words, leaving a messy stain, only to replace it with a few more sporadic thoughts.

The man worked in the classroom by himself. The afternoon sunlight spilled through the windows into the silent lecture hall and emptiness of the school. He stopped for a brief second to push up his glasses and pull his sleeves up before he shifted slightly to the right for more space to write. 

His earphones accompanied the man in his scribbles and brainstorming as his favorite piano pieces flowing into his ear helped him concentrate better. Occasionally, he’d sport a vivid expression or two, as though testing a thought, but for the most part, he had the face of an artist, despite being evident of chalk on himself instead of paint.

” Oppa! “

A familiar voice of a girl came running into the room with the click-clacking staccato of her slightly tall pumps as if her height wasn’t enough to make the man a bit intimidated, but a tad jealous already. She came running in through the door and down the stairs of amphitheatrical lecture hall, but slowing down and stopping a few feet behind him. She ran her hand through her pin-straight light chocolate brown hair to keep her long bangs from falling onto her face. She tried to make sense of the scribbles on the board, but the attempt as good as none. 

The tall girl walked slowly behind him, trying hard to not cause the same ruckus she did when she first made her entrance. She giggled as she placed her hand on his shoulders suddenly from behind, ” Kim JongHyun…!~ ” Krystal sang without honorifics.

JongHyun yanked out his expensive headphones and snapped around to find Krystal standing promptly behind him, in a taupe-colored slim, fitted dress sheer with lace detailing, vest with faux-fur paired with neutral colored heels and plenty of chunky accessories. Her hair was plain, but long, pin-straight and a rich chocolate color, but moreover, she dressed so maturely while smiling at him like a kid.

He soon got over his surprise, ” What brings you here, Krystal-ssi? ” JongHyun answered sarcastically while putting his chalk back onto the ledge. 

” Kim JongHyun-ssi brings me here obviously”, she answered in the same kind of sarcasm.

He rolled his eyes at her comment, ” Oh, come on. Really? “ 

As though knowing what to say next, Krystal jumped at her chance, ” Obviously not, right? You know me so well.”

” Right, right.” He stretched his arms, knowing the girl’s up to no good, ” If you’re here to ask me to lie to your sister for you, I ain’t doing that kind of risky business.”

She immediately pulled on his arm and began to swing it back and forth, hoping that some begging and some flattering would do the job, ” Please? “

He rubbed his fingers together to get rid of the chalk on his hand that was free, ignoring Krystal’s usual begging antic. 

” Oh my gosh.” She let go of his arm and acted overly surprised

He looked at her amused

” Oppa, why are you so handsome? What was God thinking when he made you? ” The girl’s exaggerated expression thoroughly displayed her effort, though it made no progress to make JongHyun have a change of heart. 

” Oppa……Oppa…” Krystal quietly whispered, almost cutely seductive as she tried another tactic.

He tried to be stubborn in his standpoint, but after the third blow, his determination to do so was slowing melting away. JongHyun turned to Krystal and held up one finger, ” Under one condition.”

Hopeful, Krystal quickly responded, ” What? “

” Come with me. ” He grabbed her wrist by force and began to walk up the stairs of the lecture hall that was starting to dim down as the afternoon sunlight began to diminish, ” Let’s go.”

” Where are you taking me? ” She wriggled around in his grip, ” Your hand is dirty! “

” Oh, shut up.” He let go of her, but insisted that if she didn’t follow him, she’d be locked in the school by herself all night.

The pair walked down two flights of stairs together, Krystal following behind JongHyun closely at his threat earlier. They reached the parking lot and soon enough, his motorbike and he threw her a helmet.

” I’m not riding that. It’s dangerous.” She was trying to be stubborn for no reason 

” I’m not taking you then. You stay here.”

” Wait.” She reluctantly put it on and sat obediently behind JongHyun.

” That’s Oppa’s good girl.” He mocked her with his sarcastic comment.

” Shut up and drive already.” She gripped tightly onto him or else she doesn’t feel safe.