Chapter Four: Prove to us she's your fiancé!!

My Brother Is My Rival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"No... didn't I tell you not to approach me at school?"


---------------


"Rio-san... is this seat taken?" Umika approached Rio who was sitting on the bench up the school's rooftop.


Rio looked up and saw a cute face smiling before her.


"hmmmm... No. It's free..." She smiled back and looked down again to her own feet. She took a small bite from her melon bread before hearing the same friendly voice gaining her attention.


"Can Suzuka and I sit here with you? We just want to stay here and eat lunch with you. We can be friends... Is that okay?" Umika continued with a wide smile.

Rio took awhile to reply. A sudden pause filled the atmosphere that made Umika and Suzuka look at each other... An awkward moment was given off between the three which definitely pulled a bit of confidence off Umika's sleeve. By this time, they just looked around as if longing for someone to break the cold thin ice between them. But then, Rio spoke...

 


"You want to be my friend? Really? Are you sure?"


"Errrrmmm... why not? you sounded surprised Rio-san..." Suzuka answered and took the seat right next to Rio. 
Suzuka sat on Rio's left and Umika on her right.


The two girls waited for Rio to answer but all they had was a few tears coming down from Rio's eyes.The two girls then started to panic. 


"ehhh?? Rio-san... why are you crying? are you okay? did we do something to upset you?" Umika said with a slightly trembling voice as she held Rio's shoulder. She continued to rub her shirt which gave off a comforting gesture from the latter.


"Nope... Arigatou Kawashima-san... Suzuka-san... I'm just very happy to see you here. And you want to be friends with me? Thank you..." she said while wiping her tears in front of the two girls. Rio just snapped. The two girls knows that. Being new to the school definitely made a big impact on Rio; not to mention Yamada's cold heart towards her.


"Awwww..." the two girls chorused then offered Rio some tissues... "Of course we want to be your friend! You're Yama-chan's fiancé after all... Are you having a hard time finding new friends here?"


Rio nodded . "No one ever talked to me since yesterday. Some of our class mates even glared at me. It's quite scary. And and and... Yama-chan became cold towards me because I broad-casted that he's my fiancé..." 


"Hontou?? hmmmnnn... Many girls in our school likes Yama-chan very much. Maybe they're just jealous that you're his fiancé..." Suzuka patted Rio's shoulder and offered her some more tissues.


"Don't cry anymore Rio-san. We'll be here for you no matter what.... AH! That reminds me... here..." Umika sat up straight giving Rio some words of encouragement then handed the obento prepared by Yamada's mom to her. Rio slightly frowned at the box being given to her giving a sense of confusion and a mix of excitement.


"What's this?


"It's lunch... you should eat proper food... Not just melon bread and milk... It's from Ya--..." Umika's sentence went flat as she felt Suzuka immediately stepping on her foot to halt her on what she's about to say... 


"OUCH!!"


"Ahhh... it's from us... we made it this morning to give to you. We just want to welcome you Rio san" Suzuka continued what Umika has to say as she remembered that Yamada doesn't want Rio to know that it's from him.


"Really? You guys are so sweet..." Rio smiled as she opened the obento and saw perfectly arranged food across the box. She held her tummy slightly as she eyed the food given to her by her two newly found friends, not knowing that it was from her cold fiance called Yamada Ryosuke.


"Anou... Kawashima-san, Suzuka-san... I'm really sorry if I cried like a baby in front of you. I just feel upset today. But I feel better now. Thanks to you..." Rio smiled at her two new friends and made her way to the bento box.


"It's okay Rio-san... ahh... Can we call you Rio-chan now? Since we're friends and all... And you can call us Umika-chan or Suzu-chan if you want. Kawashima seems so formal" Umika said and saw Rio wipe the last tear in her eye while smiling for both of them.


"Shall we eat now? I'm starving..."


"Itadakimasuuu..." the three girls echoed each other's voices and started digging in.



----------------------


*next day*



"It looks like she's adjusted already... Yokatta..." Yamada thought to himself while looking at Rio with Umika and Suzuka happily talking with each other. A sudden wide smile escaped his lips as he saw the sight of Rio smiling in delight with her two friends.


Rio caught Yamada's gaze and immediately approached him. By this, Yamada's smile quickly faded, to avoid Rio from seeing it - keeping a straight face to act cold in front of the girl.


"Yama-chan... Ohayou..." Rio said with a smile. "Sorry... I can't do what you ordered me... I just can't stay away from you... I like you too much to do that..." she continued in a whisper. 


Yamada's cheeks turned slightly pink when he heard those phrases. He looked at Rio's back and turned away.
"What's happening to me?" he asked himself as he slapped his face slightly - making himself awake from his known silliness. 


"I need to be cruel and harsh to her, right? That's my mission... Go back to your senses Ryosuke" he tapped his cheeks and pretended nothing happened.



*****


*lunch break*


"Yama-chan... Do you want to have lunch with me today?" Rio approached Yamada again to see if he's friendlier than before. She took her chances on making Ryosuke at least like her but to her dismay, cold and harsh attitude is still capturing Ryosuke in its midst. 


All she received was a cold look from Yamada in response to her positive approach...


"You're still angry at me? Can we just make up?" Rio shook Yamada's sleeve and tried to persuade him to forgive and forget.


"I'm not hungry... Just go with Umika and Suzuka. Leave me in peace..." he said coldly before he saw Rio pouting on her place and neaten his own sleeve.



"How cruel..." Suddenly, a familiar voice took over the conversation. Yamada and Rio looked towards the direction of the voice and saw Umika shaking her head continually, indicating protest on Yamada's cold actions. 


"Yama-chan... you should not be cruel to your future wife. She just want to get closer to you" Umika beamed a sharp stare at him but Yamada didn't bulge. 


"That's right Yama-chan... at least treat her like your fiancé..." Yuto appeared suddenly and held Yamada's arm.


Unexpectedly, Yamada stood up and walked his way outside their room.
"She's not my fiance..." he said quietly letting the bunch hear as he pass.


Rio froze by his words...


"What's wrong with him?? Boys are JERKS!!!" Suzuka almost shouted.


"HEY!! We're also boys you know... Maybe he's not in the mood?" Chinen immediately answered.


Umika and Suzuka approached Rio who still didn't move an inch. The two girls sensed the atmosphere and immediately changed the topic to at least lighten up the mood. Yet, it was obvious on Rio's state that Yamada's statement went through her chest as an heavy sigh escaped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter