Chapter 8: Just Give Up?

My Brother Is My Rival
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*Rio's POV*



I was just in my Home Economics class a while ago but now, I somehow ended up walking through the corridor waiting for Yama-chan to stop. He did it again... he grabbed my hand while I was talking to Yuto-kun...


I don't even know what's happening... Last thing I know is that, I was supposed to cook a pie with Yuto-kun but then, Yama-chan just glared at us and grabbed my wrist.


It hurts. It’s not like before... I know its Yama-chan. But his grip becomes tighter and tighter every step he makes. I don't like it. Is he angry?


**


At last... He stopped... But he didn't say anything. He remained quiet. He didn't even turn around to look at me. I blinked a few times, giving him the chance to make a move but to my dismay, the latter decided to zip his mouth and let awkwardness prevail at this time.


I, on the other hand still don't have the courage to say anything to him... I looked at his hand still holding mine with his grip somehow becoming lose. I sensed he wants me to let go but I was wrong. When I attempted to pull my hand out of his reach, he pulled it closer to him then turned around and faced me.


He was looking down... By then, I gathered all my courage to speak first.


"Are you okay Yama-chan?" I said quietly, trying my best to understand the whole situation. I now felt my own heart beat rebelling against the crust of the leaves which is enough to make me gulp. Somehow, I feel nervous. "Is auntie looking for me again?"



"I don't want you near Yuto." he answered almost immediately.


"Ehhh??"


"Do you like Yuto?" he continued, still looking down. I somehow felt a very weird sensation touching my cheek after what he said. Yet, a sense on mixed confusion also was enough to make me answer him fully.


"Huh? Of course I like him..." I replied... "He's my friend"


By what I've said, he looked up and I finally had the chance to see his eyes which are half covered by his hair earlier. He looks calmer now but still, quite scary...


"Don't go near Yuto for now..." he said and looked directly into my eyes. His usual sharp stare was definitely within its midst of piercing my chest little by little.


"Why?" 


"Because... Bec.. Because I said so..." he insensitively said that pushed me to my limits. Having someone tell me what to do is a bit too much for me to handle. Irritated, I frowned before his presence giving the impression that I wasn’t really happy by what he said. I was hoping he will get things straight but he failed to speak afterwards.


"Just because of that? Are you serious?" 


He didn't answer.


"Are you jealous?" I didn't know what else to say. Those words just came out of my mouth as it hit my mind almost immediately when he said that he doesn't like me near Yuto. To be honest, I was quite excited to hear his reply. If ever he was jealous, I'll be quite happy. I know he doesn't have anything to worry about. Me and Yuto-kun are just friends. Nothing else. 


I know he saw Yuto-kun hugged me this morning. So I'm keeping my hopes up that somehow he became concerned.


I patiently waited for his reply still... 


I noticed he's struggling to answer but at least he did.



"No..." he replied then paused for a few seconds... "I just don't want anyone to say that you're my fiancé but you're flirting with Yuto." he continued while avoiding any eye contact..."Let me clarify to my mom that I'm against our marriage first... Then do what you want." he continued then turned his back to me once again.


**

I froze...

What he said hit me... It hurts. I started to feel my legs feel numb and can't even move a single inch. 



Tears then started rolling down my cheeks involuntarily like a dripping faucet. I clenching chest soon captivated me as his figure slowly depart from mine. Why is he doing this to me?


I saw him walking away. Without looking back, he cruelly left me in that state. I tried to budge but I still can't move my legs... All I can do is cover my face with my hands and wished that I'm somewhere else and ready for the ground to open up and swallow me whole. I just wished this nightmare will end. I just want to disappear.


**


Suddenly, 


I felt someone hug me from behind. I know it's not Yama-chan. I'm just aware that he's quite tall as I can feel that he's leaning down to rest on my shoulder... He then shifted me and made me face him. It was Yuto-kun. I was so embarrassed as he saw my face full of tears but the sense of comfort and reassurance forced my tears to pour some more.


I attempted to turn away but he stopped me. He's unexpectedly strong...


He then offered me his handkerchief just like what Ryosuke did a year ago on my birthday. The thing he did when I firstly fell in love with him... Now, I felt the thin line between him and me became thicker as Yuto’s embrace becomes tighter. By then, I lost all my hope of making Yamada Ryosuke to like me... 


Yuto didn't say anything... He just hugged me tighter until I stopped crying... I don't know how long I cried but I noticed it was lunch time as I heard the bell rang. Yuto let go of me but he held my hand still and gave me a sudden weak smile.  I thought he was quite sweet to do so but for now, I just want to be alone.


The next thing I know is that Umika and Suzuka started talking to Yuto-kun. I don't know what they're talking about as murmurs just started to build up in my ears.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter