PART II

Boyfriend

 

        “Kwangie, I’m a bit late but I’ll be there as soon as possible, ok? Don’t go anywhere, just stay right there.” Kwangmin rolled his eyes and hummed a ‘yes’, hanging up immediately. The things I do for this guy…

 

*listen to: Boyfriend

 

       A few blocks away, Youngmin was turning the corner with ___ on the back of his motorcycle, clinging onto his waist.

        “Why did you set up this blind date Youngmin? I’m fine on my own, you know?”

        “I’m not letting my best friend stay single just because; you are young, you are beautiful and everyone else is pitiful, now move your and promise you’ll have a lot of fun.” She nodded slightly and walked hurriedly, trying not to trip because of her heels.

Youngmin smiled widely while he examined the girl – innocent colourful short dress, filled with butterflies matching perfectly with her pinkie butterfly hairpin. Longs curls were falling perfectly along her body. Youngmin felt accomplish, full, blissful.

        “I just hope those two morons can appreciate what I did and spend some time together…”

***

        Nam ____ looked around, searching for the one who would be her date. Meanwhile, Kwangmin received a text message from his brother. It said [Look for butterflies; don’t let me down or I WILL kill you!!]

Kwangmin was puzzled yet he looked around searching for some butterflies; and there they were. He was about to step towards her when she turned, her eyes widening once she recognised him.

        They were standing eleven foot away from each other, staring into each other’s eyes. ____looked down and sighed heavily, walking to him. Kwangmin felt his face turning red so he looked up, as if looking for something on the ceiling.

        “Kwangmin-shi are you my blind date?” ____smiled shyly but still widely which didn’t help Kwangmin to relax.

        “I guess my brother only wants to die sooner than God predicted.” He mumbled scratching his eyebrow.

        “Since we are here why not watch the movie?”

        “I, I, I actually don’t feel like it.” His lie made her face darkle deeply but she shrugged it off. It seems he does hold a grudge towards me…

        “Ok, then I’ll go and watch it by myself.” She bowed and darted for the entrance. Kwangmin was really thinking about letting her go in and sit outside, waiting for the movie to end so he could send her home safely. By the end of the movie it will be dark…

He was watching her while she made her way to the movie’s entrance. Some guys were observing her attentively and started to approach her. For some reason she didn’t acknowledge this and just kept walking. Why do you have to be so beautiful? Kwangmin hissed as if that fact was something nasty.

***

        “Hey baby girl ~! Why are you alone here? Would you like some company? I know my dongsaeng Min Woo would…And the rest of us too!” Their smirks were not just wide and erted but also nasty and mad like.

        “No, thank you.” ____tried to step aside but another guy was standing there. “Move…Now.”

        “Oh, come on, that’s no way for a girl to behave. Be polite!” the first said, taking a step in her direction, ready to grab her by the arm.

        “Nam ____ I’ve been worried sick! Why didn’t you wait up for me where it was supposed for us to meet?” The four guys starting to step back, little by little. Kwangmin placed his arm over her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. He tried not to gasp or gulp when he gave her a peck on the forehead. “Babo, never do that again, araso?” Puzzled, she nodded and looked down. Kwangmin pointed to the four guys in front of them as if he hadn’t seen a thing of what happened previously. “Are these friends of yours? Oh, what the hell am I saying! This princess doesn’t get along with this kind of people…” He chuckled lightly as he led into the movies. She was gazing at the ground so she couldn’t catch the deadly look Kwangmin gave him – it brought goosebumps all over their body.

        They bought popcorn and sat down, waiting for the movie to start. They didn’t say a thing so ____ was feeling kind of nervous. She wanted to thank him but her voice just wasn’t obeying her. Neither her voice nor her eyes – she couldn’t hope not to stare at him. She felt her forehead still kind of warm from the small peck he had given her.

        Kwangmin realised she was feeling kind of troubled to thank him but he smiled. It felt to have her staring at him like that. 

        “You don’t need to thank me, so just chill. The movie is starting.” She nodded and looked at the screen.

***

        They both laugh their lungs out whenever Jang Geun Suk made something childish or stupid and in the most romantic moments they would pull away from each other, awkwardly. They both were hoping they had gone to see a horror movie instead, so ____ could look for comfort in his embrace and he could tug in, pleased. So mushy, right?

        “The movie was cool.” ____ said, trying to sound naturally, not to mess up but she end up tripping on a stone. Kwangmin managed to catch just before she hit the sidewalk but she had bruised her foot already. “Ow, jinja, ow…”

       “Manhi apeungayo?” ____ nodded, biting her lower lip. Kwangmin thought it was rather y… YA, JO KWANGMIN, MWOH YA?! SHE IS HURT YOU IDIOT! After face palming mentally he carried her bride style to the car and drove, looking for a pharmacy. She tried not to think of how close they were and just focus to think of a way to kill/thank Youngmin.

        Kwangmin        bought something for the pain and some bandage, to wrap it up. ____ was examining Kwangmin while he worked and just couldn’t help not to be overwhelmed by his care. He had very soft hands for a guy…

        “Did you take first aid classes?”

        “Yeah, I’m prepared for everything.” He let a sincere smile escape which send ____ to the moon.  “How do you feel? Better?” She nodded after moving her feet a bit – it was still hurting but not as much as previously. She was about to thank him but he declined. “No need, really.”

        He drove her home and carried her to the front door. She opened it only to see that no one was at home, yet.

        “Kwangmin-shi, komawo for today. I really had fun and well…” She pointed to her swollen feet smiling sheepishly.

        “I had fun too. See you tomorrow.” He was about to leave but she grabbed his sleeve making him hesitate. “Is there anything you need?” Kwangmin asked, anxiously.

____ gestured for him to come closer so he leaned in, turning his face as if she was going to whisper on his hear but something warm touched his cheek. He pulled away, bewildered. ____ was smiling brightly at his shyness when he turned to leave.

        “I hope you won’t ignore me any longer…”

***

        Her hopes didn’t provide any kind of effect – for the next couple of days Kwangmin ignored as usual or maybe even more. He wouldn’t stare at her in class and Kwangmin started to lunch alone; yeah, even the lunch time they would share for four years now he started to skip. Nam ___ felt even more depress. Why is he doing all this? Oh crappy life of mine!

        She felt a hand ruffling her long curly hair but she couldn’t care less. ___ didn’t say a thing and kept looking forward, to the yellow wall in front of her. Youngmin thought it was rather weird her quietness – in any other occasion she would be scolding him right on the spot.

        “Ya, Gom Nami what’s the matter? You’ve been acting like a zombie for the past week. Did anything happen? Do you want to talk about it?”

        “How is Kwangmin? Is he… also acting different?” ___’s voice was only a breakable, tiny straw.

        “Youngmin?” what did that motherf***er do? Is he anxious to die? “No, he is acting like he usually does – cold-hearted, mesmerizing butterflies every day, eating lollipops all the time … but why do you ask?”

        “He is weirder than usual; he doesn’t lunch with us anymore, didn’t you notice?”

        “He used to lunch with us?” Youngmin’s face was untruly surprised. ___ punched him playfully on the arm, giggling lightly. Youngmin patted her head and pulled her into a hug. “Geongjo hajima; my brother is the moodiest guy ever. Or maybe he discovered a new type of butterfly and he is analyzing it so he doesn’t even have time to eat.”

____ smiled while her best friend combed her hair, trying to sooth her worries but deep down they both knew Kwangmin was just avoiding them…Why? Now, that was something totally foreign to these two.

***

        “I’m sorry I can’t take you home Gom Nami but I really have to go home earlier today.” Youngmin went out running after screaming. The whole school heard it and stared at her which made ____ turn red in a flash.

After a slight chuckle, ____ made her way out of school. She was trying to keep that kind, shy smile she always showed to the entire school population but today was being so much harder. ____ was so focus in trying to look ok that she tripped on a rock; she was pretty much sure she was going to land on her face however a strong grip pulled her up. A strange yet good looking guy was grinning very close to her face once she was up.

        “How could you not notice that big rock, beauty?” ____ jerk away from his hand, fixing her outfit.

        “Than-than-than-thank you.” she bowed, taking a step to leave but the guy grabbed her wrist.

        “Wait a minute. We’ve met.” ____ raised an eyebrow, questioning the sanity of the goofy guy. “In the movies, last weekend.” He smirked and she recognised him right away; he was behind the one who had spoken to her first. “So you are the famous ‘Aegyo Clumsily’ qeenka of Seoul’s High school?”  She gulped but flipped her hair out, jerking away from his grip.

        “What if I am? What does that have to do with you?” a slightly smaller guy popped from behind the goofy looking one, patting his shoulder and smiling apologetically.

        “Ya, Hyunseung, we should go…Seriously.”

        “Wae to Jeongmin? Did anything happen to Donghyun hyung again?”

        “Anni; but something is going to happen to you if you keep bothering a qeenka…” The cutie one, Jeongmin, was pulling his friend backwards but Hyunseung wouldn’t move.

        “Let me go Jeongmin!” As Hyunseung was trying to shake Jeongmin off his arm, a hand grabbed ____’s and pulled her at the top of speed.  In less than a minute they were pretty much away from school.

They stopped and rested on a wall. Kwangmin’s breath was much heavier than hers so she spoke first.

        “Why did you do that?” He just stared at her for the first time that week. Kwangmin’s stare last for a few minutes while he recovered his breath little by little. He straightened up and looked at her for a while more. “So?”

        “I was just trying to help out.”

        “I could have handled them on my own.”

        “Could you? It didn’t seem like it.” He arrogantly looked away. ____ stubbornly turned away from him and walked in the opposite direction.

        Even though she hadn’t the slightest idea Kwangmin followed her in a safe distant so she wouldn’t see him. But he was force to intervene when she tripped again. Kwangmin was prepared for these “little accidents” of her because since they meet each other for the first time ____ would trip at least six times a day and actually hit the floor twice of those six.

        “What are you doing here?!” She yelled when he pulled her up. “Can’t you mind your own business?!” That hurt but he shrugged it off and gestured for her to keep walking.

        “I’m taking you home.” ____hummed something totally incomprehensible even to her and stormed home with Kwangmin on her tail.

        “You can leave now.” ____ mumbled once she reached the first step of her house. Kwangmin raised an eyebrow and shook his head.

        “No can do baby doll; what if you trip on your way up?” He gestured once again; she hummed while stepping up the stairs still with him right beside her.

Even though he wouldn’t admit it to anyone he was appreciating her company very much.

***

        “Jo Kwangmin where have you been?! I came home earlier and even let my best friend go home alone so that I could kill and you disappear?!” Youngmin looked like a ravenous dog; his blond hair was all imperfect from all the pulling he did while waiting for his twin to reach home.  He pointed to his hair and let out a screamed. “LOOK AT MY PERFECT HAIR! JUST BECAUSE OF YOU!” Kwangmin couldn’t care less; he grabbed rice cookies and started devouring them. He grabbed his book and headed for the garden.

        “Don’t ever let Gom Nami go home alone; she was in trouble, you know?” For a moment Youngmin forgot about his hair and ran after his brother.

        “What happen? You helped her didn’t you?”

        “Of course you idiot. I even escorted her home because you disappeared, big potato head.”

        “Komawo bro! Really, I’m so thankful.” Youngmin felt as if he was capable of start crying right there and then. “I have to call my Bear [Gom] Nami! She must have been scared.” Youngmin took off running but then stopped on his tracks. “Wait a minute –Jo Kwangmin did you just called her by her nickname?” Kwangmin faced palm himself mentally, gulped away his ‘I-was-caught expression’ and turned away from his brother.

        “I have no idea of what you are talking about.”