The Regrets

Stuck In The Middle With You

I tried to concentrate on the book that one of my professor asked us to review and put it on minimum three pages of paper by tomorrow, but I couldn’t help stealing glances at him.

It’s been a year or so, and you moved on and left me cold, and I wish that I could let you know that I still got a thing for you.

“You need anything else, Luhan?” a soft warm voice startled me.

Yes, you

“No, baozi. Thanks” I looked up to the boy who refill my empty glass with more water.

“It passed lunch time and you haven’t eaten anything in an hour beside a frappucino” Minseok put his free hand on his waist “And I know you had to leave in fifteen minutes if you don’t want to be late for Mr. Lee’s class”

I groaned as I check my wrist watch “Oh great, and I didn’t understand a single words on this I’m reading” I bumped my forehead on the table frustrated.

Minseok let out his melodic chuckle “Let me make you something easy and fast so you could survive this afternoon and we’ll see what I can do with that homework of yours”

“You will?” I lifted my head a little bit with my chin glued to the cold marble.

“Stupid Luhan, we’re friends, right?” Minseok laughed again and walked away.

Can we go back again as lovers and not as friends? Because I still have that lingering feeling inside of me.

Even when he walked away I couldn’t help to stare at his cute bottom. And all those times where I could feel them in any way I wanted. I blame my lack of ual activity for having dirty thoughts of how those plump cheeks of Minseok’s bounced softly over me.

“You sure your boss won’t mind?” I asked when he sat across my table and put a full plate of fry rice with an omelette on top of it in front of me.

“Look around, it’s not like this restaurant desparate for me anyway”

I pursed my lips as he shoved me a spoon and fork “Hey, I think I’ve read this before” he grabbed my book and flipped the cover.

Of course you had, you took Professor Kim class last semester, I know that much

I mumbled with my mouth full, Minseok is a good cook. He didn’t do it extravagantly because he had no time with his classes and part time jobs. He always did everything simple, easy and perfect. Just like himself. Even the way he furrowed his eyebrows together is perfect, every curve and part of his body is perfect. Hell, the way he walks is perfection.

“Finish your lunch and let me do the outline. You could pick it up later and type it at your place”

“You’re my saviour, baozi” I leaned forward and pretend to showered him with kisses.

“Yeah... yeah... Not the first time I hear it” he shook his head as he flashed his toothy grin. “Seriously, Luhan. You’re not fifteen anymore, how come you still need me to remind you to eat and...”

“I know, I should grow up” I grimaced at his words. It’s not that I’m not capable of taking care of myself but I need a reason for him to talk to me. I love hearing him worries about me, and how he lectured me like he’s the person who know me best. Because he is.

“And how about Kyumin noona? You two still going out?” he raised an eyebrow and I choked on a shrimp.

He offered me a glass of water and I gulped it down “It was just a one in a moment stuff”

Minseok let his shoulder dropped “It’s always one in a moment with you, Luhan”

But it wasn’t when I’m with you...

“Minseokie” I whined “I couldn’t finish in five minutes if we’re keep talking like this”

“Fine fine...” Minseok smiled “Don’t forget to pick up the outline after you’re done”

I nodded furiously and struggled to swallow every bit of rice because I know how Minseok hate people who spoiled their food away.

“Good boy” he smiled contently and patted my back as he take a leave to greet a new customer walked in. “It’s been twenty minutes though”

“” I cursed and ripped three bills of dollars from my pocket and threw it on the table before I jumped from my seat “Thank you for the meal, boss! Bye Baozi!” I shouted rather loudly to the man behind the counter. He and Minseok shook their head in amusement.

“That boy never change, didn’t he?” the boss asked absently and Minseok stared at the now empty door.

“Nope, he didn’t”

 

I ran with all my speed through the pavement, moving side to side in order not to bump other passerby. The restaurant was supposed to close half an hour ago, my cellphone needs to recharge and I tend to forgot the time when I played soccer after class.

“Sorry, I’m late” I bursted in through the front door and panted.

“Hi there, Luhan”

“Oh, hi Kris” I tried to hid my disappointment “Where’s baozi?”

“He’s on the kitchen with boss, cleaning up” he pointed his thumb to the back.

I know he and you going new but no, he can never love you like me....

“How’s college?” I took a seat next to him on the bar. Unlike him and his long legs stratched to the floor, I lifted my feet to make myself comfortable.

“Same old...” the tall guy muttered. His cold handsome expression plastered as usual, but I know how much that change whenever he’s around Minseok, my Minseok.

But I could never blame him for what happened between me and Minseok. It was all our mistakes, that’s how Minseok liked to call it, even though I know I screwed most part of it.

It was me who couldn’t stand up for him when his parents shoved him out of their home when he told them he was gay right after we finished highschool.

It was me who has no courage to take our two years of relationship to the next level because I was afraid of my family’s reaction.

It was me who kept on blaming him for not having more time when I know he struggled to attend all his classes, finish his homeworks and earn money for his living, and somehow between all of that he still managed to come to all my play and helped me practicing my lines. Not to say how he still warmed my bed on most nights when he wasn’t too exhausted.

It was the worst fight we had, we were all frustrated on our first finals as college students, less time to see each other even though we practically live together in my apartment. Since technically Minseok is registered on the college dorm, he applied for it since he was short on cash and couldn’t afford his own place.

“What were you doing with her?” Minseok’s eyes bulge out as soon as I entered my apartment.

“What?” I put on my confused look on him.

“Don’t play dumb, ” his usually calm and soothing voice raised and shaking “I was going to the library when I saw you and that with your hands all over her”

I sighed, it was only one in a moment thing. Yoon Mi approached me first, saying she had difficulties interpreting hamlet when she accidentally brushed her chest on my shoulder and sent elctrifying message and we end up with our feets tangled under the table.

I shut my mouth when Minseok cried out some more curses in more high pitched tone and flailing his arms around.

“Look, Luhan” he massage his temple with his fingers “We couldn’t... No...” He took a deep breath. “I couldn’t take this anymore”

I was strucked when he said it and stared at him like a dumbo. No, you don’t mean it. That’s what I was supposed to say but nothing came from my lips.

Minseok looked closely at me, waiting for any form of rejection but after a minute he looked down with a sad smile on his chubby face. “See you later, Luhan. Take care” he grabbed his coat from the floor and slowly walked. As he opened the door, there’s a long silence. I could feel him turned around and stared at my back before he finally closed it and left.

It was my selfish pride that prevented me to kneel down for his forgiveness. That and the fact Yoon Mi still need private lessons, not only on hamlet but apparently the girl had no basic on any classic plays ever before. I kept on telling to myself that I could go to Minseok tomorrow, and with that two ing months passed by.

"You okay, dude?" Kris voice wake me from my daze.

"Yeah, a bit tired" I smiled at him "Going somewhere?"

"I'm taking Minseok for dinner, this is our ten months anniversary since our first date" his face glowing from excitement although he tried to say it like it was a mere nothing special.

Of course, this night, ten months ago I saw the two of them in front of Minseok's dorm gate. The shorter boy jumped off from Kris car and the taller guy held his hand as he dropped him off by the door, before finally leaned forward and pecked his cheek.

And you got another man, he says he loves you too.

Baby, I understand this must be hard on you.

And it gets so hard sometimes to know just what to do.

Stuck in the middle with you.