You're So Annoying!

"You're So Annoying!"

“You’re So Annoying!”

 

 

Author’s Note: Hello everyone! This is going to be a one-shot that I will be writing for the June 29th YongSeo double birthday event that is being set up by the one and only hiko27. After bugging me for a bit of a short fluffy one shot, I caved in. If anyone has read my stuff before, they know I do nothing of that sort. Fluff? NO! Angst is my game. One-shots? Nah, that ain’t me. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy it. I tried my best to keep it short and sweet. Sorry if it's too boring! Happy Birthday to our wonderful goguma couple that has kept us entertained even after their heartbreaking split :(. Thanks to all for reading and thanks for hiko27 for getting me involved.

 

 

“What’s wrong with Seohyun?” asked a black haired teen with a bored expression on his face. A girl almost a whole head shorter than him looked up when she heard his question. The bored expression on his face wasn’t going to fool her. As stoic and aloof as he tried to seem, she knew what the reason for his question was.

“What do you mean Yonghwa?” the girl asked in feigned confusion. “She looks healthy enough.”

Yonghwa frowned at the girl’s response. The words that came out of were expected. After all, the great Jung Yonghwa only watched out for himself. It would be a cold day in hell before he actually worried about something else besides his guitar and looking out the window during class as he counted down the hours until he could play guitar some more.

“Never mind Yoona,” he answered back coarsely. “Forget I asked.”

“Why are you worried about her? You hate her remember?” she asked offhandedly. “You’re not the kind of guy that finds time to ask about others. Especially girls that you think are ‘annoying, obnoxious, and plain hateful’.”

“Yoona, I said forget it.”

With that last command, Yonghwa found it was time to leave the room. Yoona knew the cold young man since he was in kindergarten. Back then, he was a kind hearted boy. Everything he had he shared with others. Every time someone was left out of the games, he would step out to give everyone a try. It wasn’t until his mother died when he was just five years old that he lost the spark in his eyes. Yoona was really the only girl that he paid attention to. He was considered attractive by the rest of the female student body, but he was annoyed by them if put in the nicest way possible.

“You guys are stupid,” she whispered to herself.

Seohyun asked the same exact question only a month ago. Yoona was surprised when the girl skipped the first five minutes of her after school cram session to ask about the boy who she supposedly hated. Seohyun was Yoona’s best girlfriend since the quiet and shy girl moved to their district two years ago. Seohyun’s brother died while protecting her from a car while they were on their way to stargaze by the Han River. The 16 year old girl had to move in with a distant family friend in order to survive in the cold and cruel world they lived in.

Yoona almost let out a laugh when she realized how synchronized those two were. When Yonghwa’s mother’s memorial day was coming up, Seohyun asked why he was being so distant. Any other person wouldn’t have even noticed Yonghwa was being broodier than usual. Now that Seohyun’s brother’s memorial was coming up, it was the stone-hearted young man’s turn to notice a change in the atmosphere surrounding the dark haired, clear eyed girl.

With a bounce to her step, Yoona set off to find Yonghwa and confront him once and for all about his reasons for being so irritable when the girl who was their class president was mentioned. “Yonghwa!” she called out to the slouched male shuffling boredly towards his locker.

“What now Yoona?”

“When are you going to tell Seohyun you’ve loved her since day one?” Yoona asked boldly the second she reached his side.

The blush on his face was the definition of priceless. Yoona wanted to laugh as hard as she could, but that would only force Yonghwa to build up his walls even thicker and higher. “Y-yah! Who says I like her? You know she annoys me more than anything on this planet. I would rather… I would rather… um…”

“You’re so cute when you stutter,” Yoona teased. “I never knew you had it in you. Just tell her Yonghwa. I’ve known you for more than ten years and I know you like the back of my hand. You should just go for it and stop making it so hard on yourselves.”

Yonghwa, being stubborn as ever, dismissed her with a wave before resuming his walk to the hall that contained his locker. “I’m not doing that.” Yoona frowned, not being able to take the torture any longer than she needed to, forced him into a stop.

“Yonghwa stop running away.” Her hand on his forearm, forced him to pay attention to her. “Please? She needs it.”

“What do you mean she needs it?” he asked in confusion. “What’s so important?”

“Her brother’s memorial is on Saturday,” she explained. It all clicked in Yonghwa’s head at that moment. He knew something was up with the way that Seohyun dozed off in class even though she was a straight A student. It was strange to see the way her handwriting became slightly slanted and her round characters became a little less circular. It wasn’t that he stalked or stared at her or anything. It was just an ‘observation’ he made.

“How is that my problem?” Yonghwa asked with no intention of dropping his I’m-too-cool-for-you act.

“It’s also her birthday,” Yoona confessed. “Her brother died while they were on the way to their special spot where she celebrated her birthday every year. She doesn’t have anyone else Yonghwa.”

“I… I don’t see how that has anything to do with me,” he pointed out, except his arrogance was faltering with the way Yoona was telling him everything.

Yoona was about ready to throw the book in her hands at his face until some sense was knocked into him. It was frustrating to see two of her good friends fighting 24 hours of every waking day. She wasn’t the only one getting tired of it. Everyone was affected by the way the two bickered like cats and dogs every opportunity that arose. “Please help me make that day special. She has nobody to turn to. I know you really like her. Just admit it. The look on your face right now tells me you want to help her too.”

Yonghwa was stumped. Yoona had him right where she wanted him. With just that sadness-laced tale, she had complete control over him. He knew what it felt to lose someone dear to you. The only thing different was he had the rest of his family still with him. His younger sisters Krystal and Jessica were still around. His father tried his hardest to be both a mom and a dad even if it killed him. Seohyun, however, had nobody but herself. Her parents abandoned her and her brother when she was just a baby. Tae Hyun was the only thing she had left in the world before the cold hand of death decided to steal him away. 

“I’ll… I’ll help. It’s not because I want to though!” he defended himself. “You’re forcing me into this!” Sooner than Yoona could say thank you, Yonghwa sped off to find shelter somewhere far away from her. She would have followed him, but she knew he had enough torture for one day. Yonghwa always hated feeling like he was emotionally weak.

Seohyun coincidentally found Yoona during her trek to their classroom to find a book she left in her desk. “Was Yonghwa yelling at you?” Seohyun asked her best friend from behind. “I heard that a few halls down. I can’t believe he yells at one of the few people that actually likes him.”

“Nah, don’t worry about him.”

Seohyun’s nostrils flared as they always did when Yonghwa was around. He even dubbed her “Dwaeji-Hyun” (dwaeji meaning pig) since her nose was always wide open in his presence. “I seriously don’t know why you’re friends with him. He’s such a self-centered, arrogant, egocentric, cold, manipulative, two-timing, ungrateful bastard.”

“That’s an awful lot of description for someone who you want to know nothing about,” Yoona taunted. “Come on, you can tell me. You’re secretly in love with him aren’t you?”

“Me in love with that scumbag?” Seohyun spat. “That’s the biggest laugh ever. The day I ever fall in love with Jung Yonghwa is the day I wear one of T-ara’s Bo Peep Bo Peep costumes and walk into class while performing that intolerable song.”

“You sure you want to make that bet?” Yoona confidently inquired.

“I’m 1000% sure I will win it if I made it.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday finally arrived, forcing Yonghwa to do all kinds of manual labor for Yoona’s plan. The girl that exploited his weak heart for Seohyun was actually very surprised with the way everything turned out. She never would have expected that the uncaring young man would set up so much for someone he supposedly hated. What he was doing went above and beyond his expectations. There was an assortment of games, food, and everything else necessary for their party. Yoona was also taken aback when she saw he had a small shrine ready to go for the ceremony for Seohyun’s deceased brother.

“So what are you going to give Seohyun as a present? Your heart?” Yoona asked cheesily.

“You really want me to cut your tongue out today?” Yonghwa threatened in a voice that almost sounded real.

Without wanting to anger him more, they continued to set up in the spot that Yonghwa himself chose. Their location only proved the fact that Yonghwa knew Seohyun far more than anyone expected. Only one of Seohyun’s true friends would know the meaning of the spot they would be celebrating at. It was a small wooded area filled with cherry blossom trees on the banks of the Han River.

Strangely enough, those trees never bloomed in April as they should have. They always bloomed the same week Seohyun’s birthday feel on. Tae Hyun always commented how they were a gift from nature just for his little sister. That was the place they would go to enjoy each other’s birthday. It was the place the pair was going to before the young man was met with a terrible fate and driven out of the world of the living.

“How did you know about this place? Only Seohyun’s closest friends know what this place means to her,” Yoona commented.

“I just thought this spot looked pretty,” Yonghwa lied. Again, Yoona figured nothing good would come out of interrogating him, so she kept shut.

After hours of trying to get the details perfect, the two friends were finally done setting up for the big event. As if everyone heard a silent call that everything was ready, the guests began arriving. Only a small group of friends had been invited out including Yonghwa’s dad and sisters. “Annyeong Yoona unnie,” the 12 year old twins, Krystal and Jessica greeted. “How did you get oppa to show up? He hates Seohyun unnie.”

“You brats better keep your mouths shut,” Yonghwa growled in their direction. “Dad… please try to not embarrass me.” Yonghwa’s father made a cheesy pose in response before nodding in agreement. Yonghwa wondered how he turned out so cold when his family was the epitome of crazy and downright strange.

“Hey everyone,” Seohyun greeted as everyone crowded around the barbecue to see what kind of delicious food they would be eating. “Thanks for setting this up for me! Jeongmal kamsahamnida!”

“Yah, we’re your friends aren’t we?” Yoona asked. Goo Hara, Park Shinhye, Ok Taecyeon, Lee Jungshin, Kang Minhyuk, Lee Jonghyun, and the Jung twins all gave Seohyun a warm look of approval as well. Seohyun’s eyes teared up in happiness until she noticed Yonghwa angrily hanging around his father. If it were up to her, Seohyun would have kicked him out but she didn’t want to upset his family. After all, they were all more than bearable unlike him.

(Used my little group from I’m a Loner for you fans that read that story :) )

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With the festivities all over with and the memorial service complete, night fell on the group of friends. It was already time to pack up and head back to their respective homes. Most of the teenagers left, Yonghwa’s father insisting that he could clean everything up himself. That only left Yoona, Seohyun, and Yonghwa to spend time with each other.

“Can you believe that guy?” Seohyun asked her best friend. “He came all this way to just be angry the whole time. He didn’t even say happy birthday to me.”

“Seohyun, didn’t you see him pay his respects to your brother? He didn’t seem all that bad when he was doing that,” Yoona pointed out. Seohyun couldn’t deny that Yonghwa did seem almost likable at that point, but she still had her doubts.

“The jerk probably only did that because his dad was around. I’m sure he wouldn’t have been so calm had he been alone,” Seohyun responded in her defense.

Yoona wanted nothing more than to end the unjustified bickering the two parties she was caught between. She didn’t even remember how the two students started fighting to begin with. All she knew was that it was arguably more childish than anything the Jung twins had ever done. When 12 year old girls act more mature than you, there’s definitely something wrong with that picture. “Hey, I think I’m going to help Yonghwa’s dad clean up. It’s not fair to let him clean it all up.”

“Why don’t you make Mr. Sunshine over there help? He’s just staring off into the river anyways,” Seohyun suggested angrily. Her anger wanted to make Yoona cry in frustration. The girl who was class president was always a shy, soft spoken and well mannered girl. The only person that could ever bring out the spunk she had in her was a certain Jung that knew just how to push her buttons in the wrong ways.

“He set everything up,” Yoona confessed while dusting the dirt off her skirt from sitting in the grass. “I can’t be unfair and tell him to clean it up too.”

“Jung Yonghwa took time out of his busy schedule of breaking girl’s hearts to set up something like this? You should be a comedian Yoona.”

“I’m not lying Seohyun. Go thank him for everything at least. He paid for it all and set it up. Even if you hate him he deserves that much,” Yoona pointed out. Seohyun’s best friend walked off into the distance to meet the elder that helped take care of them the whole day.

Seohyun had to swallow her pride and thank the man whom she desperately wished would get out of her life. Her brother taught her that pride would be the one thing that would guarantee her downfall in life. It was that stupid pride that forced people into bitter wars over the smallest of issues. “I heard you set everything up today. Thanks…”

Yonghwa stood up from his spot on the river bank to face the girl he felt like shoving into the water in hopes she never came back up. “You don’t sound thankful. You could have just said nothing and it would have been better.” As usual, Seohyun’s nostrils resumed their flared state. Those two really were like water and oil.

“You’re a really awful person aren’t you Yonghwa?” Seohyun asked him. “Why did you even do this for me if you were just going to be mean? Did you do this because you want me to owe you something?”

“No,” he answered simply.

Seohyun scoffed, bringing a sneer to Yonghwa’s face. He tried his hardest to do something nice for her yet she was being her usual prickly self. “I hate you Jung Yonghwa. I really do. You e of the most important days of my life into a scene straight from a drama. I don’t even know why I deal with you.”

Yonghwa was at his breaking point. His feelings were so cloudy that he had no idea what he wanted to do at that moment. The one thing he knew for sure he felt was anger. He was angry because he hated Seohyun’s attitude. He was angry because he was getting blown off even after he did something nice. Worst of all, he was angry at himself for causing everything to turn out the way it did.

Seohyun felt the same exact way he did yet he couldn’t figure it out. She hated the way Yonghwa felt superior to everyone else. She hated the fact that Yonghwa had so many fan girls yet he never paid attention to them. The one thing that made her hate him more was the fact that she still had the heart to have feelings for him. The only way she knew how to express them and not feel weak was to let them explode into a fiery rage.

“I hate you Seo Joohyun,” Yonghwa growled before she could take a step towards Yoona’s direction. “I hate your brilliant smile. The way your eyes sparkle with that twinkle that only you have annoys me. Your handwriting, your posture, the way you eat your food… everything about you is so sickeningly perfect it makes me fall in love with you more and I hate it. You’re so damn annoying yet I can’t get enough of you.”

Seohyun froze in her tracks when she heard everything he said. “W-what did you just say? Care to repeat it again?”

“I said you’re the most annoying thing on this planet,” he repeated with anger in his voice. “As much as you make me want to tear my hair out, I think I love you more. Ever since that moment you transferred into our class, I knew you were going to annoy the hell out of me. Your prissy, perfect princess attitude made me instantly hate you. Slowly I noticed that I was just lying to myself because I couldn’t imagine liking you.”

“Funny way of showing it,” Seohyun snorted. On the inside she was jumping for joy because she knew Yonghwa felt the same way for her. That damned pride she wished she could throw away was holding her back. “Well you want to know something?”

“Yeah?”

“I find you detestable in every way possible,” she spat back. “But you’re the cutest, hottest, and most loveable person I hate in this world.”

“E-Eh??” he asked, trying his hardest to not yell out in happiness so that everyone could hear. "You like me too? Why..? Why are you so hostile towards me then?"

"Because you're an egocentric, arrogant, low-life scumbag," Seohyun answered without any restraint. "Yet, I can't help but like someone as angry and screwed up as you. Ever since we first met I thought you were attractive, but I couldn't let myself fall for a guy like you. I guess I just hid my feelings behind my anger."

“So… do you um… want to be the most annoying person in my life?”

“Only if you want to annoy me as much as possible too,” she responded.

Each of them took hesitant steps towards each other in order to initiate the first skinship of their relationship. Neither of them could lie and say they weren’t nervous. Their respective hearts were beating at a million beats a second. As much as they hated each other, their attraction was stronger.

“C-can I hold your hand?” Yonghwa stammered. Yet another reason to detest Seohyun manifested himself in his mind. The cold and stone-hearted ice prince was being reduced to a stuttering mess all because of her. When the hell did he start asking permission to hold someone’s hand?

“Y-yeah,” she stuttered back. Both of them let out a laugh when they realized how awkward they were being.

Yonghwa lead the girl over to the largest tree in the small grove nearest to the river. A small breeze blew through the branches, allowing a shower of petals to gracefully fall on them. After an entire year of denial, it felt like heaven to finally let everything out. For the first time in his life, he saw Seo Joohyun smile towards him. If he was blinded by her smile before, he wasn’t sure what to call the effect she had on him that night.

Seeing her full lips part just for him as the pink petals fluttered by was breathtaking. After all the time he spent observing her, he could finally do it up close. “You’re so perfect it’s infuriating,” Yonghwa pointed out. “Why didn’t you smile like this before?”

“You’re a really angry person aren’t you?” she asked him in response. Now it was her turn to have a good stare at him. She also asked herself why she never noticed his smile was so charming. It was probably because she was too busy being jealous of the on the receiving end of it that she never had a chance to really see it.

“I’m really sorry that you had to deal with my arrogance,” Yonghwa apologized. Even after all that Yonghwa did to her, she couldn’t help but smile at him in forgiveness. After all, the Jung Yonghwa was degrading himself in front of her.

Without accepting his apology, Seohyun looked off across the river towards the brightly lit capital of the country they lived in. “Thanks a lot for this. It really means a lot. I spent last year’s birthday here all alone thinking about how it was my fault my brother died.”

Yonghwa knew the feeling she was going through. His mother was struck by a runaway car on her way to pick him up from school. “My mom died while coming to pick me up,” he began. “I always thought if I hadn’t been born, she wouldn’t have died. My dad wouldn’t have had to work so hard to take care of my sisters. He wouldn’t have to spend lonely nights as he cried himself to sleep over a few beers.”

Those words tore Seohyun’s heart to shreds. As hateful as Yonghwa was, she couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. She never had the love of a mother so she couldn’t say she missed it. The girl supposed it was much better to never have had a mother to begin with rather than to lose her that way. “I would feel so guilty that he was gone and I was being happy here without him. It was hell,” Seohyun sighed.

“Don’t think like that,” he scolded her. “He would want you to be happy and see his sacrifice was worth it.” Seohyun couldn’t believe the fact that Yonghwa was actually making her smile. It had to be the biggest joke she ever heard in her life. Sure she liked him for the longest time, but her anger blinded her. There was never once a moment where she thought she would be sitting under her cherry blossom tree being comforted by the broody teenager.

“I’m sure he would like you a lot even if you would probably drive him insane,” Seohyun joked with tears in her eyes. Yonghwa, not wanting to spoil the moment more than he surely already had, decided it was time to lighten up the ambiance. “Thank you so much for everything.”

“Happy birthday,” he congratulated while pulling out a present from seemingly thin air. The pink wrapping paper quickly fell to the floor, leaving Seohyun speechless at her present.

“You’re annoying me again,” she confessed. Out of the box, two giant paws were the first to catch her attention. Next was the headband with a pair of cute kitty ears attached. Last but not least was the fluffy tail that completed the set. “Yoona is dead when I see her.” She realized Yonghwa was in on the bet, meaning she would have to perform Bo Peep Bo Peep for their homeroom class on Monday.

“It’s not her fault you couldn’t resist me,” Yonghwa cockily pointed out.

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but thanks again Yonghwa.” Seohyun’s cheeks dusted themselves with a fine crimson while expressing her gratitude. Fortunately the darkness of the night hid the blush perfectly. “I really appreciate everything you did for me and my brother today.”

“You know that’s not the only present I had for you tonight,” he declared. Seohyun’s slightly emotional state disappeared, leaving her confused at his comment. “There was also this.” Before she knew it, she felt a soft sensation on her lips. It took her a second to realize Yonghwa was stealing a kiss from her, her first kiss. Seohyun expected it to be angry and passionate, but it was quite the opposite. It was warm and sincere, almost gentle to the point of where it wasn’t even a kiss.

“You stole a kiss from me jerk,” she pointed out to him.

“It was my birthday last week. I was just getting a late present from you. Also, that was my first kiss,” he confessed shyly. “You’re welcome,” he decided to add in order to keep some of his pride. Seohyun had a real hard time believing that it was really his first, but with the way he was being shy, it seemed like he was telling the truth. “Happy birthday Seo Joohyun.”

 

 

Author’s Note: That was a little strange for me to write, but I think it worked out. I probably put in too many unnecessary things in the beginning and rushed the end, but this was my first one shot that’s not a piece. I’m still not really used to writing things so short. A chapter that’s around 4000 words for me is like driving a stake through my heart. I hope you all liked it although it could have been better. I just wish I could have written a more deep and meaningful story for their birthday. I've read some of the one-shots and se4sons had an amazing one! Anyway happy reading :).