Chapter 4

What If

There was no doubt at all that he had seen me. There was yelling and a whole lot of commotion before he stopped and stared.

‘B-but h-how?’ He stuttered obviously unsure of what to say in this situation. I wasn’t any better. I was unsure of how to answer. I didn’t know how, how do I explain something I didn’t understand. I just shrugged. Tears fell from both of our eyes. I didn’t even know I still had the ability to produce tears but nevertheless they silently stained my cheeks.

‘Can I….Can I touch you?’ He asked hesitantly. I nodded not trusting my voice, if I even had one left. He approached me slowly, stopping momentarily as if he was thinking his decision over. Then he was right there, a step away. My breath hitched just as it did the first time he got this close, back when breathing mattered. Now I just did it out of habit.

His fingers ghosted over my shoulder making my skin tingle. When they finally made contact it felt strange, nice but strange. However he pulled back faster than I would have liked.

‘You’re c-cold’ He stated, clenching his fists the way you do to keep warm.

‘M-Mianhe’ I apologized and looked away, the tears still flowing. I felt so close yet so far away from him and it only made the situation worse. I never planned for him to see me. How was I supposed to act.

‘No don’t apologize, it’s not your fault. It’s mine. I should have protected you and I didn’t’ He sighed and sat against the bath. I took my usual seat on the closed lid of the toilet and stared at him. He was thinking. I could tell by the way his eyebrows creased and his mouth was stuck into a permanent pout. I wonder what was going on in his head right now. Was he scared of me? Was he blaming himself for this? or Was he just as confused as I was? He looked up at me his eyes full of questions.

‘Was it you that put the towels on the rack every morning?’

‘Deh’ I nodded shyly at the fact he suspected something.

‘Aha I knew I wasn’t going crazy’ He chuckled lightly, a sound I hadn’t heard since before the accident. It made me smile too. The mood was lightened slightly by that and I relaxed a little.

‘This is crazy, insane and wildly confusing but I think I like it’ He exclaimed.

‘What i-is?’ I asked, confused by his sudden statement.

‘This situation, I lost you but now you’re here. Although the circumstances have changed ALOT! It’s better than not having you. Do you realise how much i’ve missed you? It’s been torture without you here and even though this is a little strange and confusing I think I could get used to it. I just need a little time to adjust’

‘C-chincha?’

He nodded and smiled up at me. Wow life and death really are surprising.