Chapter 1

What If

 

I could hear sirens. They sounded far away but nevertheless I could hear them. My sight was blurred as I tried to get out of the position I was in. I managed to stumble out of the car on my hands and knees narrowly missing shards of broken glass. My vision slowly started returning as I gathered my surroundings. There were 2 over turned cars, their parts strewn across the road. I looked at my body. It seemed virtually untouched. There were a few scratches and bruises here and there but other than that no other serious pain. I rose to my feet slowly, making sure I didn’t lose my balance. I tried remembering exactly how this happened but I couldn’t fathom anything up in my head at this point. I searched the scene before my eyes landed on someone; someone that I hoped to god wasn’t the person I got into the car with many hours previous to this.

As I edged closer my heart sank lower and lower into my chest. His distinguishable jaw line was what gave him away the most and it was instantly confirmed when my eyes fell to the necklace that lay around his neck. It was Junho all right. No doubt about it. I kneeled next to his body afraid to touch his perfect form incase I did any further damage. All I could do was sob quietly and stare at his unconscious state. He was breathing at least. He hadn’t left me yet.

The sirens I had heard so faintly before were now very distinct and close by. I plucked up the courage to hold his hand while I waited but only very gently. Bright lights clouded my vision and all I could see was blue and red flashing. Paramedics then rushed over and tended to Junho’s body.

‘Keep him safe’ Was I all I could bring myself to say to them as they wheeled him to the ambulance. The rest of the journey was spent in silence, once again staring at Junho.

***

The doors swung open and Junho was yet again being rushed to another destination. I followed silently behind occasionally stealing glances of him on the bed. I wanted so badly for all of this to be over. To see him so helpless it just wasn’t human. Why did this have to happen to him? Why couldn’t it be me instead? I trailed behind them until I could go no further and he was pushed into an authorized personnel only area.

I sat on the ground out of the way of everyone. It was only then I realized how much I was shaking. I pulled my knees close to my chest and buried my face into them. I tried to control the tears that fell from my eyes but it was no use. I tried to recollect what had happened.

 ‘Junho where are you taking me?’ I asked him while I looked at the scenery outside the window. It was pretty dark so I couldn’t see much.

‘It’s a surprise just wait and see’ He chuckled. The car slowed as we came to a red light and I looked over at him.

‘This better not be like last time’ I stated reminiscing the last time he had planned a surprise that ended in us waiting outside in the freezing cold for hours. I shivered at the thought. He smiled at me.

‘I pinky promise it will not end like the last time’ He reassured holding his pinky up to me. I laughed at him but linked my own pinky anyway stamping my thumb with his. He leaned over in his seat and kissed my lips sweetly before pulling away with a smirk playing on his lips. The light turned green and he began to drive again.

‘Saranghae Junho’ I confessed and kissed his cheek making him grin.

‘Nado Saranghae Eun Ae’ He replied taking a hand off the steering wheel to give my hand a light squeeze. I returned the gesture and sat there content with the moment.

That’s all I remember. Up to that specific point nothing more. I drew in a deep breath hoping to clear my mind but then I heard his name being mentioned.

‘What is the patient’s name again’ One doctor asked.

‘Mr Park Junho I believe’ Another one replied, ‘Room 781. He’s stable now we’re just waiting for the sedative to wear off. Once he’s awake we can tell him exactly what happened’ I sighed in relief at the news. He was okay that’s all the information I needed for me to relax a little. I stood up keeping my back against the wall as nurses ran past me to attend to people’s needs. Okay now I just need to find room 781.