Fireworks

I Just Want It To Be Love

After I left Daehyun to his own devices, I headed back to my apartment and sat at my computer, slowly loading all the pictures. I blankly stared at the pictures of every tree, every flower, every rock, until I ended up on that picture of his beautiful smile. The way his eyes crinkled at the corners, and how his nose kind of crumpled was so cute. I bit my lip as I stared at it more. I seriously wanted things to work out with us. But why I turned into a blushing baffoon who could barely hold a conversation when he was around, was beyond me.

 

I would rue the day I could speak normally to him, without stuttering or blushing. I shut my eyes as I replayed the day's events in my head. It had been perfect, he was perfect. Ugh. I shook my head and started to get to work on the pictures. It was well into the night when I finally finished and saved them all to a disk to take down to the printer's. After doing a few jobs during the week, I was finally free to print my pictures. I was more than excited to have that Daehyun picture in my hands.

 

I sat in my seat for an hour, impatiently tapping my foot, waiting for them to be done. I snatched them up and practically threw my money on the counter just to get out of there. I almost ran to the coffee shop just to show them to him. I asked the barista if he had come in yet, and he said no. I went to my usual seat and thought. This could be my chance. This chould be my one chance to express myself to Daehyun and hope that things go well. I sifted through the photographs, putting them in a nice order.

 

I took the picture of Daehyun out and turned it over. Then I fished through my bag for a pen. I bit the pen cap and kept it in my mouth while I wrote my message. "I just want it to be love." I wrote. Then I put his picture on the top of the pile and found a rubberband in the bottom of my bag and clasped all the pictures together. I handed them to the barista and told him to give them to Daehyun before I headed out of the cafe. I did it. I had taken my first big step. All I could hope for now was that Daehyun didn't see my message as something completely creepy and unwanted.

 

I mean, I didn't even know if he was straight or not, I just...I have to take my chances! My mother always told me that inaction always guaranteed no results. So, I acted. As I walked back to my apartment, my heart was thumping so wildly in my chest. Part of my wanted to go back and grab my pictures back and pretend like I had never done anything with them. But the other part was proud of myself for finally taking the initiative.

 

I mean, I know Daehyun didn't KNOW that I'd been fawning over him for a while, but still. I trudged up the steps and upon entering my apartment, I made my way to the bedroom and flopped on my bed. I stared at the clock I had on my side table and watched the minutes tick by. I hadn't even realized I'd fallen asleep until I felt a buzzing in my pocket. I groggily took my phone out of my pocket and stared at it while my eyes adjusted. "Daehyun" the screen said. He had sent me a text message.

 

My heart stopped. I looked at the clock and saw that a few hours had gone by. I sat up on my bed and rubbed my eyes. I looked back down at my phone which was still glaring at me. I exhaled and picked it up. I opened up the text message, but immediately threw my phone down before looking at it. What if he was disgusted and was telling me to never bother with him ever again?! I sat for a few minutes, weighing my options.

 

In the end, I decided to go ahead and look at the message. My hands were shaking so badly, and I dropped my phone when it vibrated again, this time with a call from a friend. I silently thanked them for calling me and I answered it. I milked the conversation for all it was worth, but alas, all good things must come to an end and I hung up. I took a deep breath and quickly opened the message from Daehyun and read it. "Come to the park." I gulped.

 

What did this mean? I wanted to rip my hair out in frustration. I sent him a message telling him I was on my way and then I headed out. The entire walk, my mind was going a mile a minute with all the possibilities. I had no idea what would happen whatsoever. I saw he was sitting on a bench, and I carefully slid onto the bench next to him. He looked at me and held up the picture of himself, with the message on it.

 

"I just-" I started, before he cut me off. "So do I." he said, his eyes crinkling as he smiled. "What?" I asked, completely confused. "I want this" he said, gesturing between the two of us "to be love too." My mouth kept opening and closing. "But, we don't know each other that well!" I complained. "I know." Daehyun said. "But...I love you." I sat there blinking at him, my mouth agape. "I do too." I said slowly, a smile breaking onto my face. This is what I wanted. This is everything I could have ever wanted. He took my chin in his hand and pulled me in for a gentle kiss. I swore I could hear fireworks.

 

Oh...this is love alright.

 

 

----------

DONE!