Part 2: Collide

Collide

 

“With the way they looked at me, I bet they already know something.” JongIn’s cold voice started. He made a tight grasp on one of the slings of his backpack, while his left hand was left inside his pocket. Kyungsoo is catching up on him, he did not say anything. His black cap covering his face.

Jongin stopped, turned around and face Kyungsoo, whose head is bobbed down, thinking about something. JongIn let out a deep sigh. He doesn’t know what to say, and he doesn’t want to bombard his best friend with questions as well, not now at least.

He looked at him with disappointment and continued walking. Kyungsoo grabbed his hand. Slowly, Kyungsoo lift his chin up and gave JongIn his soft heart-shaped smile.

JongIn, on the other hand, gave him a dubious look, narrowing his eyes, and preparing his ears to something he felt is not good to hear because every time Kyungsoo gives him that kind of smile some unwanted revelation comes up.

“I don’t want to hear it.” JongIn raised his right hand up, motioning him to discontinue whatever his best friend is thinking and is about to say.

“This is the right thing to do.” Kyungsoo said with conviction like it is the only way out from the developing complicated relationship. “I’ll …”

 JongIn can see Kyungsoo’s lips twitch. “I… Let’s just stop seeing each other for the meantime.” Tears are slowly creeping at the sides of Kyungsoo’s eyes, he doesn’t want JongIn to see it so he dropped off his gaze to the ground.  Who would want this to happen?

 JongIn is his best friend for years, and Aimee, he just met her for like two years, his parents introduced her to him and an arrangement was *poof* made. It was of course, against his will, but it was what his parents want and he has nothing to do with it. Aimee is a nice girl, he considered, a year younger than him and loves cooking too, one thing similar to both of them. Jongin also met her a few months ago, but he disapproves the arrangement with no clear reason stated.

“Is that what you want?” It was very obvious for JongIn’s sudden change of tone of his voice. Kyungsoo did not reply. “Look at me, is that what you want?” With his left hand, JongIn raised Kyungsoo’s face. Kyungsoo nodded meeting JongIn’s dejected eyes. “Yes, that is what I want.” Kyungsoo responded.

----------------------------

JongIn sling his arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulder while the other arm is hiding something at his back. “Goodmorning!” He cheerfully greeted. Basing on the tone of his best friend’s voice, Kyungsoo thought that maybe JongIn had a good night sleep. Normally, every time JongIn wakes up he just sits on his chair in the dining room uttering no words, hair untidy, slippers nowhere to be found, eyes widely dilated staring at nothing, and mind still catching up on reality, both hands ducked in between his laps trying to steer clear from the cold his body still cannot take in. And most of the time, it is Kyungsoo who greets him a good morning first before JongIn. A signal that he is not in his dream anymore. But today is different.

Kyungsoo decided to make pancakes and eggs for their breakfast. He was surprised to see JongIn up that early, and even greeted him with wide smile plastered on his face. “What’s up?” Kyungsoo asked.

JongIn narrowed his eyes in disbelief. “Of course, you wouldn’t forget it!” He took out his gift for Kyungsoo, and started singing a happy birthday song that is slightly out of tune. Kyungsoo laughed at his attempt of singing so he chimed in and corrected the melody. “Whatever!” JongIn rolled his eyes. “Open it.”

“Maybe later.” Kyungsoo slumped the box on the counter, and continued beating some eggs for the pancake. “Thanks anyway. I almost forgot about it.”

Kyungsoo did not hear any reply, he searched for JongIn but he already left the kitchen. Seconds later, he heard JongIn cried from the other room, “I am going to change. You should treat me since I gave you a gift and I helped you remember that today is your birthday.” Kyungsoo can hear the continuous closing and opening of the drawers in JongIn’s room like someone has been searching something so hard inside the room.

“Okay. But we should eat these pancakes first before leaving.” Kyungsoo answered.

The telephone from the living room started ringing. “I’ll get it.” JongIn rushed ahead of Kyungsoo to pick up the phone. He jumped from one sofa to another just to get first to the phone.

“Careful!” Kyungsoo bellowed when JongIn almost hit the vase.

“Hello?”

            JongIn, looked at Kyungsoo, listening to the person from the other line. Kyungsoo raised his brow and mouthed, “Who?” JongIn moved his head sideways.

“Yes. But he won’t be here today. He’s … He’s out since five in the morning.”

            What? Who’s that? Kyungsoo mouthed, his mind growing hysterically.

“Okay. I’ll tell him then. Thanks. Bye.” JongIn put down the phone. “Wrong number.” And proceeded on eating his pancakes but this time he’s acting lousy and just playing with the food with his fork.

Kyungsoo checked on the caller ID.

Aimee.

Kyungsoo trailed back to the dining room, and didn’t say any word but continued eating facing his best friend who is not looking at him. He tapped JongIn’s hand, “Don’t play on the food.” The latter raised his head to face Kyungsoo, with wary eyes he started. “She wanted to see you. It’s okay you know … I can just wait here while you’re with her.”

Kyungsoo smiled. “I thought I was out since five in the morning?”

JongIn wanted to hide his snicker, from dejected eyes to a happy one, he answered. “Oh yes, I forgot. What time are we leaving?”

“As soon as you finish your food.” JongIn immediately hurried eating. “And… since it’s my birthday you are in charge with washing these plates while I prepare myself okay?”

“Aye.. Aye … Sir!” JongIn replied making a childish salute as he finish his last pancake.

------------------------------

            Kyungsoo get in the bus first. The only empty seat inside the bus is on the last row, Kyungsoo sat next to the left window, JongIn followed him in but sat on the opposite side. No words were uttered during their ride, both eyes were looking at different directions; both minds were in intense thinking. It was indeed a very long trip for both of them. Kyungsoo took a quick glance at JongIn but the latter stayed firm on avoiding him, head leaning on the window pane, earphones on, arms folded in front of his chest, eyes now closed.

            They both got off in front of their apartment. And just like the same old way, it was Kyungsoo who unlocked the door because JongIn doesn’t bring with him his keys, his excuse so that he’ll go home together with Kyungsoo.

            Both of their feet dragged them straight to their rooms. They almost bumped into each other since the doors of their rooms are facing each other, and as always, Kyungsoo gave way so that JongIn will get inside his room first. The latter closed his door, he did not bang it though, but Kyungsoo heard it locked. He looked down and proceeded to his own room leaving his door widely open. He sat on his neatly organized bed, with his two laps pressing on each other he take a look at JongIn’s door, waiting for it to open, but it did not. He took his slippers on, and allowed the upper part of his body to slump on his bed afterwards. He shut his eyes firmly covering them with his right hand as he simultaneously gave out a heavy sigh. ‘What have I done?’  He say to himself, and tears flowed down.

------------------------------

 

JongIn is sitting on the edge of his bed. Kyungsoo is sitting on the edge of his bed as well. Both doors opened, both eyes looking intensely at each other. Kyungsoo’s clenching his fist now especially when hearing the tick of the clock. JongIn is starting to sweat as well, from his peripheral view he checks on the clock every chance he could get. No one wants to give way, especially at this point in time. Today is the much anticipated final race battle between Hyundai and Ford and at the same time, at the same hour is Pororo: The Little Penguin’s Special Episode that is to be broadcast once. Both of them even save these two events in their phones so as not to forget it.

Kyungsoo is waiting for the right timing, so as Jongin. They cannot wait anymore, every second counts. At once, they both move towards the door with their body assembled in a run race position, eyes still fixed on each other.

5 … 4 … 3 … 2 … 1 …

Kyungsoo rushed through the living room. JongIn who was not able to anticipate Kyungsoo’s move followed. With his arms longer than his best friend, he was able to grab Kyungsoo’s tiny shoulder; however one great advantage of being small is being quick. Kyungsoo was able to avoid the attack. JongIn heard Kyungsoo’s snicker as he gets hold of the remote. He right then and then clicked the red button and checked the clock, 5:06pm. Six minutes late. Aw.

JongIn sat beside him. He cannot accept his defeat and Kyungsoo very well knows that. “Please? It’s the final race.” JongIn makes a cute facial expression girls in school cannot resist, but for Kyungsoo, he knows that it is a trap. He knows Jongin’s just getting the right timing to steal the remote from him so he placed it inside his shirt.

“Pororo.” Kyungsoo answered letting out his tongue.

Jongin rubbed his head in dismay. “Aish.”

Kyungsoo sits on the couch with eyes fixed on the screen, enjoying the special episode of his favorite cartoon show. His two round eyes were so amazed with what they’re both seeing. Meanwhile, JongIn sits lazily on the couch, elbows resting on his laps, palms carrying his dead tired head, evil eyes directed on his best friend.

Commercial …

“Pleeeeeeease?”

“Not a chance.” Kyungsoo answered moving his pointing finger sideways in front of JongIn’s saddened face.

JongIn slumped his body on the couch, he checked the clock. 5:30 pm. Both of his feet paddles unconsciously, trying to control his patience not to steal the remote that is now resting on Kyungsoo’s lap, left off guard.

Kyungsoo leaned forward, blocking Jongin’s view from the remote. His gaze traverse from his best friend down to the remote, then back to his best friend then to the remote. He was about to grab the thing, but Kyungsoo grabbed it before the remote even landed on his hands. Kyungsoo turned the volume a little high, looked at Jongin with big round scary eyes. Jongin’s reflex automatically instructed his body to back out a bit and placed both of his hands in between his laps like a good little boy scared to be scolded by his mom.

5:45 pm.

“What time will it end? JongIn asked. As much as he wanted his voice not to hustle he probably cannot control the long wait, in just a few minutes his getting crazy because he is missing the much anticipated event in his life. However, Kyungsoo ignored him. JongIn’s eyes brightened when he saw the credits moving up from the TV screen. Pororo’s Final Song.

He ducked his head in front of Kyungsoo’s face, blocking the screen with his teasing give-me-the-remote look. Kyungsoo pushed his face with his left hand as he gives him what he wants.

-----------------------

[a/n:] I'll be uploading the next chapter before classes resumes. ^___^ Sorry the scenes were so gloomy and sad, exactly what I am feeling right now and in the past few days. :(( I got an argument with my parents, I wasn't able to attend the KPOP conventions, etc... But today!!! 121230 I saw F.Cuz in person, they're in my country since the 27th, I think. ^^, I am not a fan but I wanted to see them and  they're not that bad at all. :)

 

anyways, I'll appreciate it more if the SUBCRIBERS and the VIEWERS will take their time to critic my work. Yeah! Let me hear your comments so that I can improve, yes, and be inspired to continue this story as well. ^^ Silent READERS PLEASE???? :D

That's it. Take care and enjoy as we welcome the new year. :))

 

Let's meet again next year. ^^ (Feels like so long for me keke~)

Happy 2013!!!! Cheers~