"True Love"

"True Love"

 

 
CHAPTER 3
KWON
 
 PARADISE
 
 
After a long day of work, I pull back to the pub and order a drink for myself. While I wait, I survey the bar. Doctors and nurses who work with me in the hospital were here. There are only few people I haven’t met before. Because this bar is the closest to the hospital this became our place after a whole day of work. Since when I started working there, it became natural for me to spend some time here before going back home. At first I can’t figure out the reason behind this habit but after two years of working in this big hospital I now understand that coming here means a lot to us, it’s the only way to ease our entire day of hard work. Sitting alone near the counter drinking a glass of whisky, I look at the television hanging up in the ceiling. It shows the morning news of the day. Oh, I forgot to say today I got off work in the morning. Even though I haven't got any sleep yet, I’m still here wide awake.  I don't know why but after I finished my last operation that unfortunately didn't went the way I wanted. It feels like my spirit suddenly disappeared together with the patient that I’ve lost. The news keeps running on the screen, reporting about a series of accident, robbery and politics. While stirring and moving the glass in my hand watching the ice melt and mix with the drink inside, an announcement suddenly pop’s out on the television screen. One of the most anticipated wedding of the year. The son and the successor of one of the most powerful business man in the country is getting married. They’re showing the picture of the couple together smiling happily hand in hand. While staring at the screen, my mind take me back to one of the conversation I had in the past.

“Do you still love her?” hyung asked me the day he introduced his girl friend to me.
“Who?”
“You know what I mean. Don’t try to avoid the topic again.”
“I just don’t want to talk about it. That’s all.”
“I’m just concern about you. Are you going to be like this till the end?”
“What?”
“Like there’s nothing more important to live for. Don’t you think this is the right time to stop, to forget and finally move on?”
I was about to say something that might only add some spice in our conversation, thankfully relieved and grateful that before I had the chance to answer him his girl friend was joining us back again.
 
After losing my mind, my tense body suddenly relaxes at the hand of someone I’m familiar with.
“Hey,” Sunye said. Dressed in jeans and a T-shirt she looked nothing like the successful professional she’d become.
“Hey,” I said.
She pulled up another chair and slid it closer to me. “How are you doing?”
“Okay.”
She gave me the once-over. “You look like hell.”
“Thanks”
“You’re always like this. You’re not eating and resting enough.”
“You say that every time you’re here.”
“That’s because you keep looking like hell.” She tilted her head toward me."How can’t you even take a break off work?”
“My work is important.”
“I know, but it’s been what, ages since you got a break from it. Work is important, but also think about yourself.”
She sounded like a mother. “Did anyone ever tell you that you can be a little too pushy at times?”
“Every day. And believe me, you need someone to be pushy with you. You’re just lucky you have me in your life. I’m quite the blessing for you.”
I didn’t realize that for the first time all day, I gave a genuine laugh.
 
“That’s good. It’s an advantage. I can…” I was caught in the middle of my sentence when my phone abruptly rings. I saw a familiar number and hesitate to pick the call. It’s not the person I want to hear especially after a long day of work, but I perfectly know what will happen next if I will not answer his call this time. Sunye saw my expression, she touch my hand to assure me that everything will be alright. I smile then answer the call. It’s not a long conversation as we both know that we’re both not the type to speak out things in our mind. I ask for another glass of whisky after I push the end button.
 
“It’s him?” She asks not looking at me. I didn’t say anything. She already knows it. “Time sure flies. This day is coming again. Do you want me to do something for you?”
“Just one, can you be by my side. Just like the past years?”
“There’s no need to ask. You know I’m here for you, right?”
“I know.”
“Always. Anytime.”
“I know.”

I didn't say any at her funeral or at the little party at our house afterwards. In fact, I didn't say anything at all. I drank a bottle of red wine all by myself and ended up messing the floor. Dad found me there and slapped me across the face. He said I’d ruined it. I wasn't sure if he meant Mom’s new Persian rug or her memory. My dad isn't a nice man. He and I rarely speak and when we did, it was to argue over something, or he’s giving me money to get rid of me. He has a temper that flares easily; he force his opinions on others and is rather arrogant. He make people feel uncomfortable, inferior, and he enjoy that. I’m not just declaring all the hate on my dad here. I was also a horrible person. I was the worst possible son for my parents. They gave me everything and I rarely said thank you. Or if I said it, I don’t think I ever meant it. I loved my mom. I had a particular relationship with her. She was a good women, an amazing mother, thinking of us, again no matter how misguided, until the end. And when she passed away, I was at lost. I became even worst. I figured out a way to escape my bedroom at night and sneak outside to meet with my friends spending the whole night clubbing and drinking. When my dad reached his limits, he sent me away out of the country to study. He decided my future all by himself without even considering my opinion. I was studying Business Administration overseas when I met someone who brought out the best in me and because of her I finally found my way back. She became the main reason why I completely changed my route.

The profile of a big villa is visible a eight thousand square foot, seven-bedroom with a big garden, a swimming pool, a basketball court and a private beach. Just beyond the entrance you can witness a continue flow of person in their most elegant black clothes. In every direction, there were luxurious cars passing by. Growing up, I used to hate the idea of living in this big villa, but in the end, this is home for me specially this particular place. Behind me, the big mansion in the middle grew smaller; up ahead, the water of a lake surrounded by different kinds of flowers and big trees suddenly embraced me. The blue sky reflects over the water with golden rays of sunlight. In time, the very busy activity inside the villa where I am gave way to a sense of isolation, broken only by the sound of wind. It’s been a long time since I’ve been here. This is the place where I mostly spent my time alone when I was young. I feel peace and security whenever I am here but because it’s a part of this big villa I can’t always be here whenever I want. I lay contentedly on the grass, my body relaxed, as if I am ready for a nap. I could feel the wind whipping through my hair and the balm of the summer sun. I close my eyes feel the fresh air and hear the relaxing sound of the trees. A long silence, then before I know it, I fall into a sleep without knowing that there’s someone else beside me, here in my paradise.
 
 
 
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

 
Author's note:
As I promised, here is my update..
I'm sorry if there's any mistakes and error.
I should be thanking you for reading my story. I'm really happy that there are readers who are interested in my writing. ^^
Anyway, hope that you'll like this chapter. Enjoy..
Again please wait and anticipate the next chapter.
Thank You^^