"True Love"

"True Love"

 

CHAPTER 1

 KWON

 

THE BEGINNING 

 

 

Before I start my story I think it's appropriate to introduce myself first to you. My name is Kwon. I'm twenty - eight years old and most importantly single. Yes, you heard it right. I am single and I am happy. I live with my best mate Jason. We started hanging out when we were in college. 

Jason works for a City law firm. I own the house and he pays me rent although I don't even really ask for it. He's a good friend and he doesn't take me for granted. To tell you the truth he's also my lawyer. Even though I don't really need one, still he represent me; as a friend who can replace me in taking care of some family matters that I don't want to face. I remembered the day when he answered a phone call for me from a counsel saying that I have to get a lawyer as soon as possible for some urgent reason and from out of the blue he just answered that he's my lawyer without even consulting me. I'm not sure at first if I will accept his offer, he's my friend after all and I don't want him to deal with it cause I perfectly know that it will only turn to be a big burden for him. I just said that it's not a serious matter that I can do it but as a friend he really knows me well. He knows that I will never move a finger, that in the end I will only run away from it. That's why I didn't have any excuse. So, in conclusion we just both agreed that he sure is the only one who can handle it for me, since he knows me and my problems very well. 

If you are interested of what I do for a living, my answer will surely surprise you. Actually I am a doctor. Currently working in Seoul National University Hospital. Well, when my family and childhood friends heard about me being a doctor they said that it didn't suit me and that it's too far from what I was. Actually even me who had chosen this course sometimes thinks that it's impossible. Me, as a doctor? Me, who will help people? Yes, I admit it's indeed a different side of me. 
If you met me when I was still young, you can also give the same opinion about me. The fact that I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, the fact that I can do and buy what I want, it doesn't matter how expensive, how big and how impossible it is as long as I want it I can have it. So others will say, "Why a doctor? If you can be someone else." 

Other people might think that but still there's someone who support and understand that different side of me. I know and I am thankful cause if she's not by my side giving me courage I think i will never be able to take out the other side that I hide for a long time. That person's name is Sunye. She's my best friend and we grew up together. She's empathetic even when we were still a child. Everyone in her class was always invited to her birthday parties for fear of hurting someone's feelings. It's during such moments that I'm especially proud to call her my friend. The reason is even though she's from a stable and secure background, not different from my own, she doesn't take that for granted. Throughout the time I studied  medicine she took sociology. She now works for a battered women and children's shelter nearby the hospital where I work. Therefore we frequently tend to spend our break time together doing a lot of talking.

It's just one of those days. I'm sitting in the corner of our favorite restaurant. While waiting for her I'm looking outside observing people passing by and all of a sudden there she appeared wearing her favorite red coat walking gracefully. Among the crowd you can easily notice her beauty. I follow her every step while entering the restaurant and the moment our eyes met she immediately show her moon shape smile that stayed the same since when we were still young.

"Hello, Mr. Handsome" she said while taking off her coat.
"Hi, Ms. Gorgeous" I said, smiling to her.
"What are we having?"
"Ive ordered your favorite carbonara"
"As expected, a friend is always a friend."
Just in time the meal I ordered awhile ago is now being served. A bite, some chit-chat about a party she'd been to, a bit of gossip here, a bit of slagging off there.
"So?. Spill it out." she suddenly said. 
"What?" 
She did not answer my question. Instead she just stayed there staring at me. Like Ive done something wrong. Then I remembered something. 
"Sorry about that, It just slipped my mind. I didn't mean it. Really." showing my most apologetic expression.
"Really? Okay. Everyone makes a mistake so I'll let this one slide but I warn you, the next time will not be easy for you" 
"I got it and to make it up, I'll settle the bill" I said it, not because I just want her forgiveness. I just acknowledged what I've done. Over the time, I learned the one thing Sunye hates the most is being kept in the dark. 
"Definitely, you deserve it and you know me. I want to know the truth" having her in front of me right now waiting for me to start the story, I don't have any choice but to tell her about it"
"I've met Seulong hyung two days ago and he told me about his plan. That this time he wants to take the next stage since he got the consent he's been waiting for, that it's not the usual stuff anymore and this time he's 100 percent sure for it. It is something, said by someone like him, isn't it?"
She shook her head." I think if you still believe in True Love. You can also say those words."
We fall into a brief awkward silence. I don't know what should I say. She's totally right I don't believe in this kind of thing anymore that's why I can't understand it.
"What did you say to him?" she asked breaking the silence between us.
"I said that was cool and that Im happy for him."
"That's all?"
"What should I say? That he's committing a big mistake he will surely regret."
She's glaring at me right now. Sunye is honest --sometimes painfully so-- and it goes without saying that these aspects of her personality leave me at disadvantage when it comes to debating her.
"What will you do? Do you plan to attend then?
"When he told me what he wanted to do, my first thought was that I didn't want anything to do with it. But he didn't gave me any choice"
"You? You always have a choice. I know you, you can create any excuse especially if you don't want to do it"
"Yes. It's frustrating, but this time it's different. He asked me to be his best man"
"Really?  Thought he will ask somebody else. How about his best friend Taecyeon?"
"I know. I also said the exact thing to him. Why me?"
"Because you are his only brother??" sarcastically answering my question.
"Yeah, I know. You don't have to remind me about that. I just feel that he has some more reason behind it."
"You think that he wants to create a way for you to see him. Right?" Hitting the right point. There's no need  to say anything cause my expression answered  for me.
"I have to go now. I still have lots of work to do"
"What are you up to?"
"Still have a couple of surgery on my list. Will call you later"
"Okay. Don't forget" she said while showing again her moon shape smile. 

 

 

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Author's note:
Sorry for a long wait. It's my first so please understand and bear with me.
I know this might not be the best but still hope you can appreciate and enjoy my hardship. 
Just feel free to post any comments.

I usually update first on my blog so if you want you can also follow me there.
http://lyn2189.blogspot.com/ 

THANK YOU!!!