"True Love"

"True Love"

 

 

CHAPTER 2

GAIN

 

THE SIGN 

 

 

It's late and I am still awake. I am sitting on the couch beside my huge window. Wearing my red silk robe, while holding my favorite mug filled with chocolate drink that I made earlier. I am staring intently at those bright stars in the sky. Looking carefully and wonder if one day I can also find the star that can shine only for me. Distracted thinking, I suddenly realize that I am not only looking at the stars, but staring into my past and present as well.

 

It's strange that I can surely sometimes lose track of time when I started staring at the night sky. This is one of the moments when I’m stuck by a deep sense of wonder. It's usually simple things that I figure out strangely moving slowly. I felt my heart tighten when I suddenly saw a young couple hand in hand as they are walking down the sidewalk. I find myself at loss. Feeling something in my life is missing.

 

Yeah, something sure is missing. But as I always ignored this feeling this time I can't continue to cover it up again. Especially if someone in my life is considering the fact of fulfilling the missing piece that I also want to have.  Miryo my best friend is getting married. We grew up together and done all things together. Since college we decided to rent our own place near our school. We were both delighted just by thinking about it but you know the saying that it is easier said than done. Yes, that was we felt back then. Finally after a long quest we found what we were searching for. We were very happy about it. It's not huge still it is enough for the two of us, who shared and filled every corner with our own memories. And now that she will get married soon the only thing that I can be sure of is that it will never be the same anymore. 

 

Drowning into the past again I tried to put a point for now. I don't want to think about it anymore. In the meantime I promise myself to focus on my obligation. Being the bride's best friend plus her chosen maid of honor I have to do so many things just to give my friend the wedding she's been dreaming for. Looking at the clock, I decided to go and get some sleep. Tomorrow I will be meeting her. I should have enough energy because knowing her for a long time it will be difficult to reach her standard, the only thing that I can say for now is that it will be a long day for the both of us.

 

It's Saturday morning, I woke up and slid out of my bed, doing my best not to lose my balance. Looking at the bathroom cabinet mirror I groan at the sight, how have I transformed into this Grateful Dead lookalike? Oh God. This can't be happening. Being an optimist, I decide that from now on I should start to pay more attention. I can't let myself to be like this forever, specially now.

 

Miryo is waiting for me in the coffee shop. She's sitting there with the kind of wide smile that makes it impossible not to smile right on back. She already bought me a cup of coffee and muffins.

"Hi, Friend," I say. "You look great."

"Thanks It's good to see you." from her seat she immediately wraps me in her arms. 

I look at her while she takes a sip of her drink, then looks round the bar. It's weird to see her that happy with someone for a long time. Last time I saw her, with swollen eyes, with all the freaking out she was doing about her complicated love on someone in her past. Now, though-well, I have to, and am more than glad to, admit- she's got a I-N L-O-V-E written all over her face. She looks happy having had a quiet night in with his boyfriend or should I say Fiancé. 

"Ga-in ah?" 

I forced a smile.

"Are you okay? Is there something wrong?

"I'm fine." I took a deep breath. "I was just distracted. I've been busy this past week that I didn't even have enough sleep. You know my usual things."

"Ah! Still some problem with your shop? Hope that I'm not a burden to you. If you still have more important things to do, I think I can get someone else to help me with our wedding dress. Since money is not a big question for him."

"No, don't worry. You know that I want to do it for you. And to begin with, I promised you before that I will be the one who will design and create the dress that the both of you will wear in your special day."

"I know, but I feel awful. Honestly."

"There are no buts," I said. "Not about this. I want to do it because these will be the first clothes you will wear as a married couple, so I wanted to be the first to congratulate you. I also want you to be the most beautiful bride in that day. So don't worry. Okay."

"Okay, Thank you friend."

"It's too early to thanks me. It's better if you should say that when your dress is ready. I'm still working for it. Oh! Taking about that can I have your fiancé's measurements since I already got yours."

"Sure.”

 

It was so hard to believe that we were here, more than three hours later, sitting together discussing her upcoming wedding. We were in the middle of negotiation. The first thing that we did was to discuss her wedding dress, after that we start getting the names of the people they like to invite. We were so busy that we didn't even notice it's already lunch time. If there's no one who interrupted us fantasizing things, I think we would skip eating lunch today.

"Hello girls" a tall guy wearing an elegant suit walking towards our table showing a wide smile suddenly called our attention. I realize it's him, my best friend future husband.

"Oh! your here" Miryo suddenly become brighter than before.

"Hi." I said to him while he's sitting beside her giving her a kiss.

"Seems both of you are into something. Deciding something about the wedding?" he asks us.

"Yes. It's more difficult from what I had thought" she answers him.

"If it'll be a stress for the both of you, I can call a wedding planner to help you out"

"I'm not sure about it. Gain-ah do you think I need one?" she asks me.

I hesitated for a moment before answering. Organizing a wedding is not a joke we both know it, but I also know my best friend very well, this is one of the situations that she wants to have a complete control. Especially now that we're talking about planning one of the most important day of her life.

"I think," I pause for a while looking at them. "For now we can do it on our own. Besides I'm here to help you out." I reached for her hand. She held my gaze, her expression softening. She smiles to me, thankful that I'm taking her side and at the same time relieve that I know her well.

"But I don't want to leave you both stranded. There's still a lot to do here." he said.

"I know, but you're also busy on your own things."

"Yes, she's right, you're the big boss after all, they need you there" I add.

"If that's what you want. However if you need something just don't hesitate to ask" he said simply. 

Miryo smiled, visibly relieved. "Thank you." she whispered.

"Come on girls, let's get some lunch. I'm hungry." he said while checking the time at his expensive watch. Miryo nod looking at him then turning her sight to me. I shook my head in return.

"You're not coming then?" 

"I think it's better if I just go to the shop. I have to start your dress”

"Are you sure you don't want to eat with us?" he asks while standing from his seat preparing to leave.

I nod. "Maybe next time" I add.

"Okay then. Maybe we can have dinner one of these days together with my best man"

"Sure" I kindly answer him.

"I'll call you later then." Miryo said while giving me another hug before leaving.

"Don't worry. I'll probably be busy. Both of you have fun." I said while waving my hands for the both of them. A moment later, I'm alone once again watching them leave happily hand in hand.

 

 

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

 

 

Author's note:

This is Gain's side of the story, as you can notice I tell both sides of their story. Letting my readers to know what's in their mind.

Sorry for letting you wait for so long. I'm trying to improve my writing. I'm sorry, if there's any mistakes and error. Hope to read your comments, to know if I'm doing well or not in writing this story. Enjoy this one. Thank you for the love.