Chapter 11

Loving You with a Broken Heart

There they were, Mr and Mrs. Jung, Jesse, Tiffany and Grandma Jung, in the dining room, sitting in silence. Things were just awkward whenever Grandma Jung came to visit. Jesse would stay silent all the time and kept his cold demeanour as he completely hated his grandmother with Jesse stayed silent, of course, Tiffany would be silent too and all she would do was just staring at her own plate of food. While Mr and Mrs. Jung would try hard to raise the mood which would just fail so easily when both of their children didn’t give any respond.

This time, it was just a bit different. Someone who usually disagreed of Grandma Jung being in that house was actually the person who asked her to come, which of course, this idea surprised her other half, which was Mr. Jung. However, Mrs. Jung got her way to convince his husband that it’s not really a bad idea letting Mr. Jung’s mom come to visit their grandchildren. But behind that reason, there’s another reason for Mrs. Jung to ask her mother in law to come.

After looking at the situation, Mrs. Jung decided to drop the bomb, the real reason for why she asked Grandma Jung to come. “Okay. Jesse and Fany, I want both of you to listen to me carefully.” Mrs. Jung said seriously which made both of her children paid attention to what she’s going to say. Jesse looked at her mom, totally didn’t like the way his mom talking since usually there would be something bad coming after it. Meanwhile, Tiffany raised her head from the food and looked at her mom. Satisfied with the attention that she got, she decided to continue. “Jesse, I want you to go with your grandma to Los Angeles and study there.” Mrs. Jung said everything seriously.

Ever since that incidence, Mrs. Jung had decided to separate both Jesse and Tiffany although that was the hardest thing for her to do as their mother. She clearly knew how close both of them were and lately it had been the biggest concern for her. That’s the reason for her to call her mother in law to be here and brought Jesse away in force just in case he was being stubborn. But she would talk some sense to Jesse to make him agree so that kind of force wouldn’t be needed. She loved her children. That’s for sure, so she wanted the best for them. However, what she had told her mother in law for sure wasn’t the reason that there’s a possibility that her children had fallen in love with each other but that Jesse needed to go there to seek for a better medical treatment for his heart defect.

“That’s right Jesse. I know you’re a smart student. So, it would be a good chance for you. Your mom and I had been talking about this, your dad too.” Grandma Jung said, earning a nod for Mr and Mrs. Jung.

Tiffany was silent, still too surprised with the sudden suggestion that her mother gave. All she could do was just looking at Mrs. Jung. Meanwhile, the most famous icy stare of Jesse was given by him to Mrs. Jung. And Jesse was the first person to give a reaction. “No, and that’s final.” Jesse stated monotonously and coldly. He wouldn’t want to be separated from Tiffany and he didn’t care where he was studying as long as Tiffany didn’t go with him, he wouldn’t go anywhere. He would keep his promise to keep her safe and always be with her in any condition.

The answer that Mrs. Jung got was sort of expected by her. “I know you’ll say that.” Mrs. Jung replied. “But... you got time to consider before you make the answer.” Mrs. Jung calmly said.

“Oppa...” Tiffany finally spoke after some time. She felt sad thinking that Jesse would leave her but then when she heard his answer, she felt really happy. However, she knew that’s not right so she wouldn’t be selfish and instead, she would help her mom to make Jesse agree. As usual, she believed that things must have reason for them to happen. “Oppa... just go. I’ll be fine. Maybe later on I can go there too.” Tiffany forced a smile.

Jesse who saw it clearly knew that it’s something that Tiffany didn’t agree to deep inside her heart but since she’s an extremely good girl, she wouldn’t do something that she thought would cause a loss for that person and in this case was him. “Stop it. Whatever attempt that you try to make me go, it wouldn’t be successful. Understood? Because I’ll stay.” He stated as he rose from his seat and walked back to his room.

“Grandma, sorry for oppa’s behaviour. Mom, dad and grandma, I think I should go as well.” Tiffany politely asked for permission to go to find her oppa to calm him down and to talk sense with her extremely stubborn brother.

After getting the permission, Tiffany directly went upstairs to find her brother in his room. Mr and Mrs. Jung then started to talk with Grandma Jung, spending some quality time with the old lady.

***

“Oppa?” That’s the first word that Tiffany uttered when she got into Jesse’s room.

Meanwhile, Jesse was sitting on his study table with his back facing his sister. His grip on his pen was really tight. He was still upset on how people ruled his life. He shouldn’t do this or that and now they wanted to separate him with his beloved sister, Tiffany. He wouldn’t let that happen.

Getting no answer, Tiffany walked closer to Jesse but not without closing the door. She didn’t want their grandmother to walk in just like that and in the end, making her stubborn oppa upset and angry even more.

“Oppa?” Tiffany called him once again. Jesse and again ignored her.

“Don’t be upset, please, oppa.” Tiffany said softly. Part of her was really scared of Jesse right now. It’s because she knew too well that Jesse wasn’t only upset with their grandmother or their parents but her as well. “I don’t mean to agree with them but you clearly know that it’s the best for you, oppa.” She tried to convince and persuade her brother even more.

“If we’re going to talk about this again or if you’re going to side with them, then it’s better for you to go out now before I don’t know what I’ll do to you, Fany-ah. I can snap on you anytime and the last thing that I want to see or regret is to making you cry.” Jesse hissed through his gritted teeth. He was never been this upset before and Tiffany was just there to make things worse.

“Oppa...” Tiffany said softly. She wanted to say some more but she was too scared being around Jesse right now. She seldom saw Jesse being like this and it’s like once in a blue moon. So, when that happened, it’s extremely scary.

However, no matter how scary Jesse was, Tiffany stayed. She didn’t want to leave him alone, just like how Jesse never left her alone whenever she’s upset, sad, or the worst emotional breakdown, that she had ever had all this time.

Tiffany walked towards Jesse’s bed and just lay down, taking a random book from Jesse’s nightstand to read. The silence was awkward. Jesse stayed in his silence, scribbling his books, doing his work to distract himself from anger, that’s what he did and there was Tiffany, being by Jesse’s side, waiting for him to calm down. She wouldn’t continue the talk about that anymore.

Oppa would know the best decision to make. I’ll just support him in every condition.

And so, they’re in the room in silence, waiting for things to go back like how it was. But still the presence of their grandmother wouldn’t make them forget about this. Maybe all they could do was just pretending not to know and would keep on doing that until the day that they needed to give an answer.

Fany-ah, as long as you know, I can do anything for you and also I’ll do anything to keep my promise to you. We made a lot of promises before and one of them is to stay next to you in any condition, no matter what. Just like how you stay with me right now and I’ll do that too just like how we promised to, even the cost is my study or the chance to get a better treatment out there. I don’t want when I leave you, something happen to you or the worst, something happen to me when I’m doing my treatment. So it’s better for me to stay, staying here next to you, going through each day and if my time really has come at least, you’ll be next to me when that happen and at least, you’ll be the last person that I see in my eyes before I totally lost of view.

In the end, Jesse gave in. He stopped writing, placing his pen on the table and he stood from his seat. Tiffany noticed that too but pretended not to know about that. Then, Jesse walked towards his bed. “Can’t you scoot further a bit? Your oppa is not that thin, Tiff.” Jesse said jokingly, the side that only could be seen by his sister. Tiffany smiled brightly with her eye-smile. Her brother was back to normal. Jesse sat on the bed and Tiffany quickly hugged him, throwing the book aside.

“I miss you, oppa. I hate it when we quarrel. I’m sorry, oppa. Start from now I won’t talk about that again.” Tiffany quickly said before Jesse changed his mind.

Jesse smiled and shook his head. He never could stay upset for long with her. “It’s okay. No matter how upset oppa is, oppa will always forgive you in the end.” Jesse said softly, hugging Tiffany back.

***

Weeks passed and Grandmother Jung was still staying with them. She totally knew about the worry of Mrs. Jung which was hidden from Mr. Jung. She could see the interaction between Jesse and Tiffany which sometimes looked more than how a sibling was supposed to be. Grandma Jung noticed the look of love that both of them had, and it’s definitely was the look of how a lover should have. They just didn’t realize it yet. Through those weeks of staying Grandma Jung tried her best to reduce the time for both of them to meet by asking Tiffany to keep her company which would be easily complied by Tiffany since she’s always the good one while Jesse usually did the opposite, being all stubborn and a rebel.

As in the house, the mission of separating Jesse and Tiffany went on, at school things also went to a bad state which still no one knew about. After all the acts and everything, Eunjung was chosen by the principal as the student council president of course with the recommendation of Jesse and SooYoung since they were tricked by Eunjung’s plan. Every single person at school was tricked by her and they trusted that Eunjung would bring good to them. Hara pretended to be a good person as well that she had changed. However, Yul was still the same. He became the troublemaker as always. Since he couldn’t stop playing pranks but most of the time he would prank YoonA or sometimes Seohyun and Tiffany. Meanwhile, Jesse still had the same days ever since he entered the senior high. He was sort of bullied by Siwon and Kangin and he’s still being misunderstood by the teachers. Through all of those, he still managed to survive at school. As usual, doing his best in every subject and being the smartest of all in the entire school.

Little that all of them knew, soon there would be a huge storm hitting Jesse and Tiffany that would cause the separation between them.