Chapter 10

Loving You with a Broken Heart

 

“You take left and I take right.” Jesse said as they were standing in between the hallway.
 
“You just want to see your sister in the first place.” SooYoung joked.
 
Jesse couldn’t help but blushed a bit. “It’s not the point. Besides I give you the way to the canteen and you also can grab something to eat while you’re checking the classes.” He said.
 
“Ah~ You’re right.” SooYoung nodded. “I’ll go now then.” She skipped happily and waved at Jesse.
 
“When we are done, just contact each other through our phone.” Jesse shouted and the latter just made an ‘ok’ sign with her fingers. Jesse shook his head and headed to Tiffany’s class, earning a few bows and squeals from the juniors on his way there.
 
After a while finally he reached Tiffany’s class. He saw that she was busy teaching her friends so he decided to stand outside and watched over her for a few moments before he left. He didn’t know for how long that he had been standing there which without he realized he was looking at Tiffany with full of love. Suddenly he felt a nudge on his back. “Hyung, whom are you looking at?” Yul asked Jesse as Yul went beside Jesse.
 
“Huh? No one.” Jesse quickly said, praying hard that his face didn’t blush or showing anything that might make Yul suspicious of him.
 
Yul raised one of his eyebrows. He didn’t actually believe on what Jesse had said but he quickly shrugged it off. “Still... no matter whom you are looking at, you must be so in love with her.” Yul stated nonchalantly and grinned widely.
 
Love... That’s what stunned Jesse. It sort of scared him. What if this ‘love’ thing that Yul mention was true? That he was feeling that way to his own sister, Tiffany. It’s something that’s not right. This was actually the thing that confused him recently and Yul just confirmed it for him. Something he tried to deny. Now he was totally confused on what to do. Since it’s Jesse who we’re talking about, he could perfectly hid everything that’s on his mind perfectly.
 
Meanwhile, YoonA was going to walk into the class and she heard of what both of them were talking about. “Oppa, do you like someone?” YoonA asked with a hint of disappointment in her voice.
 
“No, I don’t. I’m not thinking about love right now. By the way, how could both of you are here? Aren’t you supposed to be cleaning?” Jesse asked with his icy glare, finally managed to distract himself from his thought about things that’s related on how he felt for Tiffany now.
 
Both of them gulped although they didn’t do any mistake, holding in their breath. “It’s me who let them out. They’ve done cleaning the room.” SooYoung said and both of them finally could let out the sigh of relief.
 
“Okay. Then go back to the class. And Yul, you better behave well, once I get another report about you, I would be the one who punish you and you should know that you won’t like anything about that.” Jesse warned the naughtiest prankster which made the latter shivered just imagining the possible punishment that could come from Jesse.
 
“Let’s go Soo. I don’t want both of us get any trouble from our principal.” Jesse turned around and started to walk slowly while SooYoung skipped to Jesse.
 
“You don’t tell Fany?” SooYoung asked as she continued munching her bread.
 
“No.” Jesse simply stated, expressionless.
 
“You’re still the same. Boring, and always talk in short answer.” SooYoung pouted.
 
“I just answer what I’m supposed to answer.” Jesse replied as they walked towards their school gate.
 
“I guess it’s hopeless if someone wants to change you. I’ll ask them to give up the moment they say that.” SooYoung retorted. Jesse just smiled upon the comment, still the same SooYoung that he knew.
 
***
 
Yul was going into the classroom, thinking on who Jesse could possibly have a crush with. The moment he stood by the door and looked into the classroom. He directly saw Fany. He stood there for a while as every scene of Jesse looking at someone in his classroom with the look of love coming through his mind. Just then his mind clicked, but why and how? He sort of asked that question to himself. He needed to figure out why Jesse looked at Fany that way – the way like he was in love with her. Was something happening between them without everyone realized?
 
Then YoonA nudged Yul, disturbing him from his deep thought. “What happen to this annoying and noisy Yul?” She joked and slightly teased Yul.
 
“Nothing.” Yul shrugged. “And you are the noisy one, not me.” Yul stuck his tongue out and walked to the classroom.
 
“Yah!!!” YoonA shouted and started to chase him, causing the class become noisier.
 
Fany raised his head from the noise and saw YoonYul running around. She smiled and shook her head. They really couldn’t fight just for a day, she thought.
 
***
 
Meanwhile, in the back of the class, Eunjung was texting Hara. “I need your help. Want to ruin Jesse and Tiffany? You got to help me become the student’s council president. I’ll tell you how later.” Eunjung sent the message and smiled evilly. “It’s an easy thing. Deal.” Hara replied soon after Eunjung sent the message.
 
***
 
As usual, Jesse ran out of the class the moment the bell rang. He ran towards Fany’s high school and waited for her on their usual spot. He purposely wore his jacket to hide his previous wound from the incident that happened in the laboratory. He just didn’t want Tiffany to worry.
 
He was waiting until he saw a girl talking to the other, or more to warning. He then saw that Eunjung was giving a warning to Hara prior to the bullying that she did and her gang. Jesse thought that it’s sort of impressive. Maybe... just maybe... she could be a perfect candidate to become the student’s council president. He needed people that could manage the students which were quite troublesome sometimes. But still... he needed to see what would happen after the warning? Maybe Hara wouldn’t listen which equals to a failure.
 
“Oppa.” Then he heard the melodious voice that he knew calling for him. He turned and saw Tiffany was there with her sweet eye-smiles.
 
“So... how’s class?” he asked, smiling warmly as he carried his sister’s bag for her.
 
Then they made their way out of the school, heading to their house and continuing their talk about their own day at school.
 
***
 
Both of them walked out of the gate with Eunjung and Hara looking at them.
 
“Do you think Jesse oppa will fall for that trick?” Hara asked to Eunjung, the mastermind of the plan.
 
“Maybe~” Eunjung shrugged.
 
“What do you mean by maybe?”Hara asked again. She was sort of upset with the answer, since she wanted to see Tiffany and Jesse to suffer as soon as possible.
 
“Maybe you can torture Tiffany soon~” Eunjung said with an evil smirk on her face. If everything went according to plan, she believed that things would go on their way or more to her evil way.
 
***
 
Once Jesse and Tiffany reached the house, he quickly went to his room and locked the door. He took his jacket off as he groaned in pain. Tiffany was holding his arm on the way back and that sort of hurt him. He went to the bathroom and went to take a first aid kit out and went back to his bedroom. He carefully took his bandage off from his arm. He looked at it and sighed. It’s going to hurt.
 
He started to take the ointment and dabbed it on the wound while gritting his teeth to hold on the pain. When he almost finished it, he heard a knock on the door. He took a deep breath to calm his voice since he believed that he would let out a shaky one. He gulped down and tried to answer as normal as possible. “Yes.” He said quite loud enough to be heard by the person behind the door.
 
“Oppa? Are you sick?” The sound of worried Tiffany could be heard.
 
Damn... how could she sort of know about this?
 
A bit panic, Jesse tried to think and make a perfect lie.
 
“I’m not. What makes you think so?” Jesse said and sighed in relief that he didn’t stutter at all. He quickly finished up to put the ointment and tried not to make any sound no matter how painful it was.
 
“Then, can I come in?” Tiffany asked, slightly unsure. She felt that there’s something off but she couldn’t grasp it. There’s something that oppa hides from me, that’s for sure. But what?
 
“Uh.. wait for a while. I’m changing.” he said as he quickly bandaged up his arm and hid the first aid kit under the bed and then he went to the cupboard and took a long sleeved shirt and put it on. He wiped his sweats with his towel, checking his own face from any sign that he’s in pain. Seeing that he’s okay enough, he opened to door for Tiffany. He smiled at her.
 
“So... what makes my beloved sister come into my room soon after we reach home?” he asked as he stepped aside to let her in and the cold room of Jesse, instantly made her shiver.
 
“Oppa... can’t you just turn off the air conditioner?” Tiffany complained.
 
“I can’t. You clearly know how I am right?” Jesse quickly said.
 
Then Tiffany realized that Jesse was wearing a long sleeved shirt. “But, oppa. You feel that it’s cold too.” Tiffany reasoned.
 
Jesse just shrugged and put his innocent face. “What? Even a polar bear have a thick coat. So... can’t I wear a long sleeved shirt?” Jesse innocently replied.
 
“But... it’s just not you, oppa.” Tiffany pouted, knowing that she had lost the argument and Jesse who saw this, quickly turned away and closed the door. He couldn’t let Tiffany know that her pout affected him.
 
“Then you’re a polar bear.” Tiffany stuck her tongue out at Jesse and he just chuckled.
 
“You clearly know that you can’t win from the argument right? If I’m a polar bear, then you are too or at least in a bear family and it’s a fat one.” Jesse laughed and slumped himself on the bed.
 
“Yah~” Tiffany retorted and she slightly frowned with the pout on her face. She started to walk closer to Jesse.
 
I guess I’ve said something wrong... Jesse quickly took a pillow and shielded himself. His guess was right because the moment he did that, Tiffany started to hit him. Luckily, I managed to shield myself, If not I’ll be injured pretty badly, since she could be quite strong sometimes.
 
Suddenly their mother shouted from downstairs. That’s when Tiffany stopped. “Shoot. I forget to tell you oppa. Grandmother is coming today.” Tiffany quickly said.
 
Just like any other bad news, Jesse frowned. Jesse hated their grandmother so much. Because from they’re kids, his grandmother always hard towards both of them, especially Jesse, and lots of times, his grandmother wanted to separate them and he never could understand that. But different with Tiffany, always being a calm and good one, she always listens and always thinks that there must be something that could be explained to them on why their grandmother did that.
 
“Aish... Grandma again..” Jesse buried himself into the pillows.
 
“Oppa.. I know you don’t like grandma, but you can’t be like this.” Tiffany said and patted Jesse’s back.
 
“I don’t want to know. She clearly never likes us. Why bother coming from Los Angeles to Korea to find the grandchildren that she never loves.” Jesse said and pulled Tiffany down to lay down next to him.
 
“But oppa... Mom and Dad will be angry later if you’re like this.” Tiffany said, trying to make his brother want to meet their grandmother. Because she knew Jesse would create a lot of reasons just so he didn’t need to meet their grandmother.
 
“I don’t care. I don’t want to meet her.” Jesse stubbornly said, still with his face buried in the pillow.
 
“And mom said that there’s something important to tell us.” Tiffany told her brother. At least, this must have triggered something in him.
 
Jesse pried his face away from the pillow and looked at her. “You better don’t lie.” Jesse said as he scanned her face to find a sign of lie in it. Seeing none of it, he sighed. “When will grandma arrive?” he asked.
 
“Tonight. To be exact, she’ll be here when we’re having our dinner.” Tiffany said.
 
Jesse felt that the presence of his grandmother wouldn’t bring anything good. But still, what’s that important thing? He wanted to know.