The Reasons Why I Hate You

The Runaway (Hiatus)

 

3 years later, I was 17. I had little time until I turned 18 to be adopted before I get kicked out. That’s what Mother Sunny told me. I had no idea what to do. I was a lost cause… but there was someone around here who wasn’t.

TaeMin, now at 15, still got offers to be adopted. Not as many as before, but he still got them. And he still refused each one and always said the same thing, ‘You don't want me, I’m not a good kid. But I know someone who is, his name’s MinHo. You should adopt him. He’s better than me.’ and every time he did that, I felt a little twitch of sympathy for the pain he could be feeling. He was trying so hard to get me adopted before him, living up to his word. And this time, I actually really did admire him.

After a while, Mother noticed TaeMin saying no to all the people. She was furious, to say the least, and told TaeMin that if he did it again, he would be punished.

The next night, I woke up. I scooted off my bed and reached under it for my bag. Yes, I was running away. I didn't have long before I would be kicked out. So I might as well go now. Besides, what am I really leaving behind?

Nothing.

Once I stood back up, I glanced over the beds. SungJae was in his bed and so were Yosoeb, Donghae, and Daesung. All sleeping soundly. They were all there, but one bed was empty.

“Where’s TaeMin?” I whispered to myself. I shrugged and headed to the door. After whispering a short goodbye to my the others, I closed the door behind me.

I crept passed the rooms full of sleeping children, careful not to wake them. I was one hall away from the front door; I just had to pass Mother Sunny’s office.

As expected, the door was open, the light from the room lit hallway softly. But what I didn't expect was to hear the cries from the inside. Not only did I hear cries but I heard… smacking. The sound of leather colliding with skin, I knew that sound well. I knew the feeling even better. I tip-toed up to the door and peeked in and instantly regretted doing it when I saw who was getting whipped.

It was TaeMin. Mother Sunny had him bent over her desk, pants pulled down, while she spanked him mercilessly.

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO SAY NO!! *spank* EVERY KID HAS TO BE *spank* ADOPTED!! DO NOT DISOBEY ME ANYMORE!!!! YOU WILL DO AS YOU'RE TOLD!*spank spank*” Mother yelled. I stood in horror. Yeah, I had seen many kids getting spanked by Mother Sunny before, but this seemed different. TaeMin was so fragile looking… it confused me. How could she hit someone so delicate?

Next thing I know, TaeMin is running past me, one hand covering his crying face and another struggling to get his pants up. He ran to the end of the hallway and turned left. But our room is to the right… where is he going? Without knowing what I was doing, I followed him. He ran all the way to the kitchen and sat by the stove, sobbing into his arms. I slowly approached him.

“TaeMin…” he pulled his face from his arms and stared up at me, “Are you oka-”

“Leave me alone.”

“Uh… here.” I reached into my pocket and pulled out a tissue to give him. He took it hesitantly and wiped his face.

“What do you want, MinHo?”

“I just… I came for some water. I was thirsty…” I lied. He gave me a once-over and scoffed.

“So what’s the bag for? You smuggling food?”

“Actually…” I sat on the floor next to him, “I’m leaving.”

“You… you're leaving? You got adopted?” He smiled and threw his body at me, hugging my shoulders, “I’m so happy for you. I’m happy what I did worked out, even if I got in trouble. Now you can get away from here and be happy too.” I pushed him off me.

“I didn't get adopted, idiot. I’m running away. I turn 18 in a month. Once that happens, I get kicked out to the streets. I’m leaving now so I won't have to deal with that.”

“That’s not fair!” he suddenly stood, “You can't leave! I made a promise! You have to get adopted before me!! I always keep my promises!”

“Forget about your stupid promise and move on.”

“No…no. I can't. Even if you leave, MinHo, even if you go, I’ll say no to everyone who comes for me. Who cares if Mother Sunny beats me? This is what I promised to you. I’ve kept that promise for four years. You can't expect me to give up now.”

“You’ll be saying no for nothing.”

“No, I’ll be saying no for you. Like I have been doing. I’ll keep doing it until I turn 18, then I’ll be kicked out, then maybe I can figure out why you’re the way you are and maybe I can figure out why you hate me so much.” I looked over at his small face. He stared back into my eyes, looking for some kind of response. Some kind of reassurance. Something that will let him know that I wouldn’t leave. When he didn't get one, he sighed and continued, “You know…. I don't like you MinHo. In fact, I hate you too. You're rude, disrespectful, stubborn, you have a terrible temper and you have way too much confidence.” I was about to shout in his face all the things I hated about him, but he cut me off, “But above all that, you’re sad, confused, and hurt. You're also very smart and caring. I see that in you when you’re with the Hyungs. You're so nice to them, but not me. And that’s why I hate you.”

“Ta-”

“So…” he used the tissue to clean his nose, “Good luck to you. Where ever you end up.” TaeMin made his way to the kitchen door. Was that all? That’s all he has to say to me? I shot off the floor.

“Wait!” he spun around, “You know you’ll get whipped everyday if you kept disobeying Mother Sunny…”

“I don't care. Just go. I’ll be fine.”

“But…”

“You do realize it’s 4 in the morning? The cooks will be in here soon to start breakfast. You might wanna get going.”

“But what about you?”

“What about me?”

“What… where will you go when you’re kicked out?” he shrugged.

“I don't know. Somewhere…”

“Y- wh- you….”

“Anyway, annyeong MinHo-ssi.” He began walking once again; not before dropping the tissue I gave him into the trash. I don't know why, but the sight of him walking away scared me. I couldn’t tell if it was the fact that he’s acting now as if he wouldn’t care where I end up, or if it’s that he’s always been the one who’s actually there for me. Even if I hate him, he’s done more for me than anyone I’ve ever known.

Whether it be sneaking cookies for me after curfew, making my bed so I won't get scolded my Mother Sunny, or denying all those parents so I could have an opportunity to get a home first.

TaeMin is a good guy. He is. But I always let all this fury and hate blind from me that. Maybe that’s why he hates me so much. Maybe that’s what compelled me to say these 3 simple words.

“C-come with me!” he instantly spun around and stared wide-eyed at me.

“W-what did you say?”

“Run away with me. If you’re just gonna say no to people because of me, you might as well come along.” I replied coolly.

And here we are. We’ve been wandering around in the most dangerous places, sleeping in the most uncomfortable. And I don't hate TaeMin for the reasons I used to back at the orphanage. We’ve been through way too much for me to do that. I’m over the fact that he stole a family from me.

I just hate his thin lithe body, I hate his pretty face, I hate his innocence, I hate his smile, his laugh, his long shiny hair, EVERYTHING! I just hate him. At least I think I do… I’m not sure. I’ve just hated him for so long, so that has to be what I feel towards him.

But there is only one thing that I’m sure I actually hate and that’s his tears. I absolutely despise it when TaeMin cries. Not only is it crazy annoying, but it brings out a side of me I don't like. A side I don't want TaeMin to get used to. That side is compassion.

But, hey, he’s my family now, as much as I don't like that, it’s true. He’s my family and I’m his. Besides, TaeMin has come in handy a few times. He helped us get a room in a motel; he even sweet-talked an old lady into giving us bread. I have to admit, without his innocent looks, I would’ve been sleeping in a dumpster and eating trash. Maybe, just maybe I don't completely hate him.

“Are you even listening to me, dummy??!” TaeMin yelled, smacking my shoulder, “I said there was a cabin over there! Stop being so brainless and follow me.”

God, he’s making me regret ever letting him come with me…

 

-------------------------------------------------------

I've gottent some really good feedback on this story. With that being said, I'll continue this here on AFF instead of making it a personal story. Hurray!

Thank you guys sincerly for liking all my stoires, it's really giving me a boost in confidence about my skills in writing. So I really appreciate all the encouragement I've gotten this far.

Thanks everybody!! I love you! Bye bye!