The Pretty Boy that Ruined My Life

The Runaway (Hiatus)

 

“You’re an idiot, TaeMin!” I yelled at the boy walking next to me. This dummy has had us walking for hours through some old town. And you know what? Now we’re completely lost!

I’m the idiot!! I told you before we even left the motel that I at giving directions!! You’re the idiot for not listening to me!!”

“Why would I listen to you?! You’re stupid!” I screamed in his face. But he didn't back down.

“Exactly! If you think I’m so stupid, why did you listen to me when I gave you the directions!!?” He stood in front of me, his face distorting with anger and depression. I knew why he was angry at me. I knew why he was depressed.

One: he hates me

Two: he’s a runaway orphan

We both are.


 


 

 

I met TaeMin when I was 12. Everything seemed to go smoothly for me, except for the fact that I was an orphan. But I had finally been chosen. You see, it’s really hard to get chosen at 12, being one year away from being a teenager. People don't want to adopt teenagers.

But I had a chance. I was about to be free of this prison and I couldn’t have been happier.

I was about to meet my ‘new parents’ when that boy… TaeMin, walked past. All he did was walk past us, and he got the attention of the kind woman and man in front of me. They instantly ran over to him asking for his name and age. The woman happily spoke with her husband saying things like ‘He’s much younger than the one over there. And look how pretty he is!’

 I scoffed. What are we orphans to you? Some kind of merchandise? You find a good one you want, but when something better shows up, you change your mind? Is that how it is?

The couple told TaeMin they wanted to adopt him and that they will take him to their house to be their new son. But, he shook his head, the boy.

“I don't want to. I can't.” The couple looked at the ten year old boy with confused faces.

“Why not, sweetie?”

“Well,” the little boy said, “I just came here yesterday. My mommy dropped me off. She’ll be coming back for me soon, I think.”

“Little TaeMin, don't you know where you are?” the man asked. TaeMin shook his head, innocently. I felt my stomach churn. Is this boy an idiot?  “Oh, poor boy. You're in an orphanage.”

“Or-orph-orphanage?” the small boy stuttered. Tears began to fill his large brown eyes and I stood from a far watching it all, I didn't care. I hated him for stealing my soon-to-be family away from me. I hated it so much. Why is he the only one who gets to cry?

 “Isn't that where the b-bad kids go? This is t-the place little kids go when their mommy and d-daddy’s don't love them?” the two adults slowly nodded and then it happened. He broke down. TaeMin fell to the floor in a fit of tears and choked out sobs.

“Oh sweetie!” the woman kneeled in front of TaeMin, “It’s okay if your mommy doesn’t love you, I’ll be your mommy and I’ll love you.”

“No!”

“We’ll be a happy family, little TaeMin. Forget about your mother. If she didn't love you, just forget her.” The man said.

“NO!!!” TaeMin yelled. Crying louder and louder. I couldn’t stand back anymore and watch that kid cry, I had to do something. As much as I hated him at the moment, these people aren't being very nice right now.

“Shouldn’t you stop now?!” I yelled as I walked up to TaeMin and the couple. “You made him cry! You're no better than his real family!”

“Young man, that is no way to talk to adults!” The woman huffed.

“You guys aren't acting like adults! How do you comfort a crying kid by saying his mommy doesn’t love him over and over? That’s not nice!”

“Choi MinHo!!” Mother Sunny came rushing down the halls toward me. Mother Sunny is the owner of this orphanage. Despite her nice and cheerful looks, she is strict and sometimes mean. “You do not yell at the adults! That’s a no-no. You are to wait in my office to receive your punishment.” I stomped my way to Mother Sunny’s office after I glared at the couple in front of me, not forgetting to glare at TaeMin as well. Who carefully wiped his face, oblivious to my stare. “Sweet boy,” I heard Mother say to TaeMin, “Go to my office and get the tissues okay? I’ll be there to help you.” I heard a soft scamper of feet behind me before I stood in Mother Sunny’s office.

“T-thank you.” I heard. I turned around to see TaeMin wipe his nose with his sleeve.

“Don't do that. It’s gross.” I snatched a tissue from the holder on Mother Sunny’s desk and walked over to wipe TaeMin’s nose. His face turned a little pink, but I pretended not to notice.

“Thank you… for that too.” he said shyly taking the tissue from me, “W-why did you yell at those grown-ups for me?”

“I really don't know… they were saying such bad things to you… And I know how it feels to be left alone, so I yelled at them.”

“Oh… uh… ah… M-my name’s TaeMin, b-by the way… what’s your name?”

“MinHo.” I replied emotionlessly. I still don't like this kid.

“Ooh~ that’s a nice na-”

“Why’d you do that?” I cut him off, “why did you say no to them?”

“Because… my mommy… she-”

“Why didn't you just go with them!? If you would’ve just left with them, I wouldn’t have felt bad that they made you cry!  I wouldn’t have yelled at them! I wouldn’t be in trouble right now!” TaeMin’s eyes began to water again. “Stop crying! This is how all the problems started!”

“I-I’m sorry… I didn't mean to start problems for you.”

“You crying isn't even when it started! It’s when you came here. When you walked past me and they ran to you! That’s when everything bad started! They got one look at you and wanted to adopt you… they think you’re better than me.”

“I-i… i…” I stepped closer to him.

“Well you're not better than me. You're a short crybaby, girly looking ten year old kid and I don't like you. But don't worry, you probably don't care. You’ll be adopted tomorrow I’m sure! Taking another family away from the other kids around here and from me. Just because they think you're pretty.” I spat those harsh words into his face.

“I took a family away from you…? I’m sorry. I am. But you know what? I don't like you either.” He pointed at me with his little fingers, “You’re mean! And… and I may be girly looking and I know I cry too much sometimes b-but… I can still grow tall! And become manly too! Just watch!” He yelled back at me standing on tip-toes to get in my face, “And maybe, you’ll even get adopted before me! Because I’ll grow up and stop being pretty! Then nice people won't want me. And if that doesn’t work, then I’ll say no to every mommy and daddy that wants me… and tell them that you are better than I am. I’ll tell them that! Because you make me think it’s true!” he spun around and stormed out of the office. I just stood there, dumbstruck. No one ever stood up to me before. I wanted to admire his courage, but my hate was way too strong right now.

 

 


 

 

And what made things worse was that I was right. TaeMin got asked to be adopted twice every month for the next two years. My hate grew stronger and stronger each time happy couples went up to him ask for his name and age. And every time, TaeMin denied them and said that I was the better one to adopt. He kept that promise, but the others, he couldn’t keep.

 

Like for one, me being adopted first. I was now 14. Fourteen. Teenagers have no chance of being adopted. I had no chance… I was going be stuck here forever.

Another promise he didn't keep, was about getting manly. He did get taller, not as tall as me though and he stopped crying about everything, but he just didn't get manlier. He got prettier. Like, too pretty. His auburn hair grew longer to frame his chubby cheeks, his lips got fuller…pinker… his… He looked like a girl with short-ish hair. And people loved him. They thought he was adorable and fragile. They wanted him. He was always so close to being free, but every time they try to adopt him he says no.  He says no for me and that pisses me off.

Doesn’t he see that I have no chance? I wish he’d just give up and leave already…

 

----------------------------------------------------

So... How is it?

To be completlely honest, I've been comtemplating on whether I should delete this or not. I decided to let the first and second chapter be the judge of that. If I get a decent amount of subs/comments I'll keep it up.

I like this story, I like this idea, but the fact that I won't have time to update it is what's bothering me. So, I may just turn this into a little personal story for myself. Hopefully, if that happens, it won't be too much of a bother.

Anyways, do you guys have any questions about this chapter or the whole story in general? Other than when my next update is xD I'll try my best to answer them within a day or two.

The next chapter will get a little more interesting ;)

Okai, See ya!

These dorks. -.- I love them