SEVEN.

Knowing Hyukjae

SEVEN.

It comes as no surprise to anybody when Hyukjae requests for a shift change, and sticks around for the months to come.

“I told you, didn’t I, back then?” Suzy says, smug, three months ever since Hyukjae has worked here.

“You told me nothing, Bae Suzy.”

“Oh, please.”

“Oh, alright, you silly little thing,” Hyoyeon says, bumping Suzy affectionately.

“I hope I’ll be able to find someone like Hyukjae in the future, too.”

“Oh, I’m sure you will. You’re really beautiful, Bae Suzy, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

“Hyo-.”

“Now don’t get all weepy on me!”

Suzy laughs. “You know me too well.”

“We are, somewhat, sworn sisters, after all.”

“You got that right girl,” Suzy says, bumping back with twice the affection. “See you around.”

Hyoyeon nods, and then waves her goodbyes to Suzy and Victoria, before linking her hand with Hyukjae’s and scurrying out of the restaurant. Hyukjae pulls her into a run, and she is giggling as her feet fly beneath her.

“Where are we going?”

“Nowhere?!”

“Nowhere! That’s the beauty of it, just running and being free, with the girl I love!”

Hyoyeon throws her head back and laughs, loud and crisp for the cold night air to hear, punctuating the desolateness with a tinge of warm. They run for a long time, passing by lit shops and rounding corners, avoiding mailboxes and stray animals. The world spins around her in a mess of colour, and Hyoyeon feels like she is flying down a kaleidoscope, so fast and so magical she daren’t blink. Her heart feels light, and her skin tingles with electricity. She likes being pulled along by Hyukjae, and by the time they finally slow down, Hyoyeon’s breath is coming out in mists, and her cheeks are red and shining.

“Come here,” Hyukjae says, extending his arms to her, and she goes into them willingly. “Can you imagine? I was once a nobody, but then you came by and gave me a free meal.”

Hyoyeon looks adoringly into his eyes. “You managed to heal me too, you know.”

“I’m glad,” he says, and hugs her tighter. “Now, this is what I really wanted to show you.”

He leads her a few steps more to the outside of a tiny shop, with glass windows and a signboard without words. Hyoyeon presses her face to the glass and cups her hands around her eyes, squinting into the interior. Apart from a few pieces of wood and sawdust, the shop is practically barren.

“What’s this?” she asks.

“Your shop.”

“My shop?!”

“Yeah, look, can you imagine?” he asks, guiding Hyoyeon back a few steps so she can get a better view of the shop. “Cakes in the display, your shop name in huge letters on that signboard, tables and chairs on the inside and outside, chalkboard menus, cream coloured wallpaper, maybe a mural or two, your own little place.”

Hyoyeon marvels at the picture he has conjured up. “Yeah, that’s really amazing, Hyukjae, but it’s not mine really.”

“No, it is. Don’t you see? This is my gift to you. I started working at the restaurant after you said you always wanted your own place. I know you told me not to tell anybody, but I sought Victoria’s advice and she said her uncle owned this place, and he could give me a discount. I’ve already made the down payment for this place, so it’s yours, Miss Kim, it really is.”

It takes Hyoyeon a minute to register what Hyukjae is saying, but when she finally does she is screaming up and down like a little kid, hugging Hyukjae and squeezing him for all he is worth. Her thank yous are pouring in, and she is pressing herself to the glass, already babbling on the different decors and foods she wants for her shop. Hyukjae smiles, letting it all sink in, relieved that it has all worked out.

This has been the big surprise he has been planning for weeks; the surprise that has left him tossing and turning in bed, worrying about whether Hyoyeon would like the shop. He had been afraid it wasn’t big enough, and then thought perhaps he should have gotten a place with a higher ceiling, or perhaps Hyoyeon wanted larger windows. But now here she is, the excitement oozing out of her like juice from a squashed melon, and he can’t be happier.

Plans for the shop go underway in the next few weeks then, and he leaves it up to Hyoyeon and the girls to decide on how the shop should look like and what they should be serving. All of them are elated, and they pour over plan designs day after day, the doodles and calculations confusing him. He is just contended to see the elation on Hyoyeon’s face, to see how beautiful she looks with her cheeks flushed and her eyes sparkling. There is a certain aura about her when she is happy, Hyukjae thinks; making her more beautiful than she already is.

The both of them often dream about their future together, what’ll happen when they’ll live together, if they can make enough to last them till their hair turns white, if the sky fairies will be more numerous than ever. Hyukjae treasures these moments together more than ever, because he knows well enough how lucky he is to have Hyoyeon by his side. Yet there is always the nagging thought that good things never last forever, for Hyukjae has been accustomed to having people precious to him being taken away.

Life is much like a flower, Hyukjae thinks. There are times when the flower is in full bloom, and its petals face the sky, a delight to anyone who comes across it. Yet there are times when the petals droop, and the colour fades to a wiry brown. The one thing that never changes, however, Hyukjae thinks, that the flower is always growing throughout its bloom and wilt; never failing to witness the marvels around it, never failing to embrace being part of the world.

Hyukjae’s flower is in full bloom right now, but he is afraid it might wilt all too soon.

. . .

This is so, so short, forgive me! The end is nearing already, actually, just two more chapters or so, you'll see! saymyname, you did? I'm glad! Yes, he did, didn't he? ^^ penny0922, don't melt!! /heats you with flame HAHAHA 8D OhItsYing, Miss Kim wasn't something I had planned, actually, it came naturally to me, so perhaps it was meant for Hyohyuk after all! ;) maxjibong, now I'm imagining Hyukjae to be some sort of et HAHAHA! hyohyukOTP, you are too sweet! You made me so, so happy with your comment, I'm so glad I can hear your thoughts, and they are such heartfelt thoughts, too! Violynn, let's partaaaaay! /plays disco music himichan, you yourself are too cute!! :) dearlybeloved, asdfghjkl your comment almost left me in tears it was so magical and beautiful and gorgeous and everything omg! Thank you so much for thinking of my writing that way; I've never had an extensive vocabulary or anything, but I try to bring about the message from my heart as best as I can, and I'm really, really glad you can feel it! Thank you so much for reading, and your awesome insights! pandagirl753, your spazzing is so cute XD her-reality, I can't tell you how happy your spazzy comments make me, I absolutely love reading them! I feel like a fairy, when you said I made the kiss happen, hahaha! Here is your update, but it's short, yes ;A; YOU SO COOL 8D haruma2911, thank you for your support babe!!! 8D Once again, everyone, I apologise for the short chapter, please don't be surprised if things pick up from the next chapter onwards!