SIX.

Knowing Hyukjae

SIX.

The next day, Hyoyeon finds herself waiting anxiously for midnight to arrive, and she is more scatter-brained than usual the whole evening. Suzy smiles knowingly, for she has gotten round to talking with Victoria, and knows what Hyoyeon doesn’t.

“There’s something different about you, Hyo,” Suzy sings.

“No, there isn’t,” Hyoyeon snaps.

“Ooh, edgy.”

“Oh, do shut up, Bae Suzy.”

Suzy giggles, and then proceeds to clear a table, secretly thrilled that her friend is experiencing a milestone in her life.

Midnight finally arrives, and Hyoyeon looks up shyly at Hyukjae as he enters. Their eyes lock, and they look away quickly, with Hyukjae clearing his throat loudly. Victoria and Suzy exchange sly smiles, and Suzy drags Hyoyeon to greet Victoria.

“Hi, Vic, hi Hyukjae!” Suzy says cheerfully.

“Um, hi guys,” Hyoyeon says, eyes trained on the ground.

Hyukjae looks at her, and again has to keep back the irresistible urge to reach out to her. He swallows, uncertain. You have to get your act together, Lee Hyukjae, he thinks.

“Why, hello, Miss Kim. Why such a cold greeting?” he says, and as she looks up shyly at him he has to stuff his hands in his pockets, wanting now to take her into his arms.

“Well hello there Lee Hyukjae what an absolute pleasure to be seeing you again!” Hyoyeon says, rolling her eyes, and everybody chuckles.

“Such a warm greeting, Hyo!” Suzy eggs her on, and Hyoyeon glares at Suzy, who smiles cheekily back.

Hyoyeon goes to grab her bag, her movements slow, her eyes trained on Hyukjae as he moves around the place with a trained efficiency, and she is impressed that he has learnt so much in such a short time. She doesn’t realise she is leaning against the counter, watching him with a soft smile, until Suzy whacks her bag lightly into Hyoyeon’s stomach, making her moan.

“Bae Suzy!”

“You’re like a lovesick puppy, stop making it so obvious!”

“What?!”

“Oh, don’t try to deny it,” Suzy says, waggling her eyebrows, and then gives jerks her head in Hyukjae’s direction before dancing out of the restaurant.

Hyoyeon sighs, gazing back at Hyukjae, watching his serious expression as he sweeps the litter off the floor, and the smile returns on the lass’s lips, for she has never seen this side of Hyukjae before. She ends up staying the entire shift, helping out whenever necessary, exchanging smiles with Hyukjae, glad to be working alongside him. At six o’clock in the morning, the two twins come in, and Hyoyeon lets out a loud yawn, tired out.

“Tired, eh, Miss Kim?”

Hyoyeon feels her heart still as she hears the all too familiar voice, and she turns, attempting to smile. “Yeah, twelve hours straight is really something.”

“Coffee, again?”

“Sure.”

Hyukjae offers her his arm, and Hyoyeon looks at him, sceptical. He nudges her as a form of encouragement, and Hyoyeon finally takes his arm, giving him a small smile, her grip tight. Hyukjae opens the restaurant door, and escorts Hyoyeon out. In the restaurant, Victoria watches the pair go, and she cannot stop the smile from spreading over her face.

“The next time you visit, Miss Kim, I hope I can invite you into a proper apartment,” Hyukjae says, as they reach the garage and he starts to prepare the cups of coffee.

“But this is sort of our place, isn’t it?” Hyoyeon says, trailing her hand along the interior of the office.

Hyukjae has to hide a smile. “Yes, I suppose it is.”

He hands her the cup of coffee, and they make their way out to the junk pile, settling comfortably on top of it. A sort of silence falls over them, and each is acutely aware of the other, and they each measure their actions carefully, fidgeting. Hyukjae wants to collect Hyoyeon in his arms again, and it is very hard for him not to scoot over. He tries not to look at her; certain he will burst if he so much as catches a glimpse of her. Hyoyeon, on the other hand, wonders how to cure the tension between them, thinking that this whole affair has been very silly indeed. She reckons she needs to deal with her emotions, so she can stop feeling like a wreck that his skin isn’t against hers.

“Hyukjae.”

“Okay Miss Kim, you are really driving me crazy now.”

“Excuse me?”

“Do you have any idea how much self-control I’m exerting here?”

“Self-control?”

“Damn it, Hyoyeon!” Hyukjae shouts, leaping from the pile. Hyoyeon scrambles down, flabbergasted by his sudden outburst. She catches up to him, putting a hand on his shoulder, so that he halts suddenly. He spins around, but before he can get a word out he finds his breath getting caught in his throat, for he is but a few mere inches away from her, her eyes wide, her lips dangling painfully near.

“Hyukjae.”

“Don’t say my name.”

“What?”

Hyukjae closes his eyes, telling himself to turn away, that this is not a good idea, but before he knows it he has a hand gently cupping her face, and he is leaning in, a magnetic force pulling him to her. Hyoyeon stills, completely thrown off guard. But before she can even react, his lips have crashed against hers, and there are fireworks going off in her head, bright and fiery and fierce. They prompt her hands to snake around his neck, an act which surprises even herself. Hyukjae leans in closer, deepening the kiss, his free arm curling around her waist and pulling her in closer. There is nothing but him for her and her for him now, and the rest of the world seems to have collapsed around them, completely and utterly. Their mouths mould against each other perfectly, their body rhythm matching up in perfect timing, their hearts beating in synchronisation.

Hyoyeon finally has to break away, gasping for breath as her hands come up to her Hyukjae’s shoulders, and she rests her forehead against his chest. Hyukjae cradles her close, allowing her to sink into his embrace, and the pair just stand in the middle of the garage, filled with trash and rejects and desolation, yet they are the beacon of hope shining bright, two souls brought together to love each other. And suddenly Hyoyeon is laughing, because this is how it should have been all this while, and Hyukjae joins in, a sudden spurt of happiness evolving within him.

She smiles at him, and he smiles back, and they are just two silly little souls madly in love.

. . .

They are curled up against the scrap pile; Hyukjae’s arms secure bounds of comfort around Hyoyeon’s waist. Hyoyeon buries her head into the cranny of Hyukjae’s neck, occasionally teasing him with . Hyukjae likes having Hyoyeon in his arms, he likes feeling that she is his, but he knows that if he wants to keep her, he has his work cut out for him.

“Miss Kim?”

“Hm?”

“I’m going to get an apartment, I’m honest.”

“You don’t need to.”

“Yes, I do,” Hyukjae says firmly, and then lets go of her, looking her straight in the eyes.

“Kim Hyoyeon, if I’m going to keep you I’m going to provide for you. I won’t let you go hungry, or know cold; I’ll make sure you’re full and warm always, and that you can go to bed safe and sound. I promise, I want to do that for you.”

Hyoyeon smiles, crawling up to Hyukjae. “That’s very sweet, mister, but take your time, okay?”

“Miss Kim?”

“Hm?”

“Look up at the sky.”

“There sure are a lot of sky fairies today, huh?”

“There sure are, and remember what I told you about sky fairies?”

“That they celebrate the good in the world?”

“Yup.”

“What about that?”

“I finally have you.”

“Awh.”

“And you’re the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

. . .

Hi, you guys! I'm aware this was short, but at least this chapter was the breaking point in their relationship, yes? I forgot to mention that this story will be short, actually, I'm a bit nervous about the end because things are going to pick up a bit faster now ;A; Anyway, first shoutout goes to Sica who blessed me with so many wonderful comments, I was grinning like a fool reading them ;A; Imagine my shock when I logged in and saw 48 new comments! I thought AFF had a glitch! The poster is a work of art, yes! <3 If I didn't dedicate this to you, then I must be out of my mind >:) It doesn't matter if you don't spam as much, just knowing you read and enjoy this is enough! ^^ saymyname, thank you so much, I'm so glad you like it! LollZiPopZo, you have an interesting username! I'm glad this is your first hyohyuk story, that makes it all the more special to me! Nisa, you are far too cute. Nuff' said. penny0922, I'm sorry, I don't have a tendency to write long chapters, even after so long! >< pandagirl753, SO DO I! XD Violynn, I know, right! /parties maxjibong, you are so cute, HAHAHA! Thank you! LonelyStar25, I agree with you 100%, thank you so much for your support m'dear! ilovekpop98, heartwarming, you really think so? Thank you love!!

her-reality, dearlybeloved, where are you guys? XD