like waiting for the ice to melt

like waiting for the ice to melt

 

Waiting had always been the hardest thing to do for Luhan. Usually when he wanted something he wanted it then and there. Instant gratification. He usually managed to get what he wanted with just a smile and the use of his doe eyes.

So it was always a shock when he did have to wait for something. 

“So do you think maybe we can go on a date sometime, Minseok-ah?”

“Not now, maybe if you wait,” Minseok had just smiled secretively and walked away. 

Anyone else and Luhan would’ve already have taken the hint and left. But there was always just a hint of promise in Minseok’s voice, just enough that Luhan stuck around. That wasn’t the last time Minseok would roundly turn down one of his offers.

“Minseokkie,” He handed him a small rose and gave him the best doe-eye look he could manage. “Please, go on a date with me?”

Minseok twirled the flower between his fingers. “Not yet, Luhan. Be patient.”

Patience was a hard-won virtue for Luhan. He didn’t want to wait. Couldn’t Minseok see that?

He knew that Minseok liked him too. He could see it. So why then was he not promptly falling into his arms making amorous declarations of his undying love? Flowers coupled with doe-eyes usually did the trick.

Luhan had come up with increasingly clever and interesting ways of asking Minseok out. Every time he’d turned him down with that same gentle smile and a soft reminder to be patient. Luhan was about ready to give up.

He groaned lying back on his bed replaying every instance when Minseok had turned him down, trying to find a common denominator among them. He couldn’t find anything. It was frustrating him.

“Luhan?” Minseok appeared, as if summoned by the force of Luhan’s annoyed thoughts. “Are you busy?”

Luhan shook his head, sitting up. “No. What did you want?” He patted the bed beside him. Maybe Minseok didn’t like him as much as he thought? Maybe the Korean boy was tired of letting him down gently?

Minseok settled close to Luhan and all his thoughts stopped. He’d never been able to quite pinpoint that fresh smell that Minseok always seemed to wear, it was almost minty but not quite that stringent. Without fail it always managed to enthrall him. Minseok didn’t say anything, just slid a baby-soft hand over Luhan’s.

Luhan sighed, breathing in more of that strangely fresh scent that was uniquely Minseok’s. “Alright then. Can I ask you something, Minseok-ah?” At his nod, Luhan continued. “Why won’t you go out with me?”

The other boy was silent for a long moment. “Because you need to learn patience,” He said quietly. “And I don’t want to be a toy.”

“Oh.”

Silence fell around them. Minseok’s hand tightened on his briefly. “Are you truly serious about this?”

“I can’t promise that we’ll be together forever…but right now at this moment in time nothing could make me happier than to call you mine. I would never intentionally hurt my Baozi.” Luhan said slowly.

Minseok smiled. “Alright then, I’ll go on a date with you.” He wrapped his arms around Luhan’s body bringing him close. “But don’t call me Baozi, yeah?” 

----

Really quick update I know.

But the story was already edited and finished so I figured I may as well just post it.

There's never enough fluffy Xiuhan in this world anyway.