Chapter Three

We Weren't Ready

 

Suho, to say the least, was very content. Friday had rolled in quicker than anyone had anticipated, which meant pure bliss to the Senior. For the past couple of days, school had been nothing but hectic for him. Between working at the café and trying his absolute best to be there for his friends, Suho was glad that finally had a day off; from the drama, the craziness, from everything.

With his head resting on the palms of his hands, Suho lied comfortably on his sofa. Although it sounded as though he had plenty of things to do while he was at home, he actually didn’t. Since Suho lived alone, his options were quite limited. Not that the male minded, since it meant he could just sleep the day away; something he had been wanting to do since the dreaded week had started.

Getting in a more comfortable sleeping position, the Senior proceeded to close his eyes. Before he got to shut them, however, there was a continuous, boisterous knock on his door. A groan of irritation escaped Suho’s lips as he regretfully rose from the sofa. Today was his day to relax, and he didn’t want anyone to ruin it. He hoped that the person on the other side of his door was someone he could easily shoo away, like the mailman. But his hopes were dismantled when he saw a troubled Jongin instead.

Jongin took a deep breath before looking at Suho. “Hyung, can I talk to you for a moment?”

As much as Suho wanted to object and say no, the afflicted look on Jongin’s face convinced him to do otherwise. Giving up all of his intentions of kicking out the Junior and going to sleep, Suho stepped aside and let the other inside of his apartment. After placing his battered black and white converse at the corner of the entrance, the Junior was led to the living room.

“So,” the Senior began as he sat on the sofa, “what do you want to talk to me about?”

Jongin hesitated before he answered, “It’s about Kyungsoo hyung.”

“What about Kyungsoo?” Suho pressed on, as curious as ever.

The Junior sat away from the other at a fair enough distance. “I just wanted to ask something. Does he… have a crush on me?”

Suho would be lying if he said he wasn’t the least bit shocked. He never expected Jongin to actually figure out about Kyungsoo’s infatuation towards him. He thought the whole thing would be kept a secret until both Juniors graduated from high school, or until Kyungsoo moved on. Even though Suho knew Kyungsoo had a crush on the other, he was more curious as to how Jongin had come to know about it.

“What makes you think that,” Suho interrogated.

“It was something Baekhyun hyung had told me my Sophomore year,” admitted Jongin.

The Senior breathed out heavily as he sat up straight on his sofa and took a pause before responding. “As much as I’d like to answer your question, it’s not my place to tell you. I think it’d be best if Kyungsoo told you his feelings towards you himself.”

Jongin sighed and directed a nod at Suho before he got up to leave. Although Jongin wasn’t sure when he’d meet up with Kyungsoo, he knew that Suho’s words were right. If he wanted to confirm that Kyungsoo truly was infatuated with him, he’d have to ask the other face to face. Even if Jongin didn’t receive the answer he was looking for he was still grateful for Suho’s advice.

When the Junior reached the door, he gave Suho a small smile. “Thank you for your time, hyung.”

“No problem,” Suho told him as he guided the younger to the door. “And Jongin?”

Jongin glanced at the Senior after he put on his shoes. “Yeah?”

“Don’t do anything stupid that would hurt Kyungsoo,” warned Suho. “I may be a ‘guardian’ to you, but I won’t accept you playing around with his feelings.”

A nod was all that Suho received as a response before Jongin bowed and exited his apartment. Suho wasn’t sure if his other friends ever noticed, but he knew Jongin was at least a little infatuated with Kyungsoo. Not that the younger Junior would ever show it. He loved messing with Kyungsoo, and playing around with him, so if he were to tell the other how he truly felt, their friendship would no longer be the same.

Yet, Suho thought that the both of them were being quite foolish. All of the drama revolving their crushes would’ve already disintegrated if they had told each other how they felt their Sophomore year. Even though Suho would’ve blamed Jongin for being such a tease, Kyungsoo was also at fault for not being able to just tell the other how he felt.

“They’re so stubborn,” Suho said to himself as he made his way back to the living room. However, halfway towards his destination, loud knocks once again filled his apartment. A kid-like whine left the Senior’s lips as he stomped on the ground and once again headed for the door that seemed to not like him. Assuming the person was Jongin, Suho quickly opened the door and blatantly said, “Look, just tell him you like him alread—”

Suho halted his words when he appeared face to face with none other than Lay. The older senior blinked his eyes to see if the figure in front of him was truly there. Suho didn’t work today, so why was Lay knocking on his door all dressed up? Before the Senior was able to voice his unanswered question to the other, Lay had opened his mouth to speak.

“I should tell who that I like him?” Lay asked with a smirk visible on his face.

Suho sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck before telling the other, “Sorry. I thought you were someone else.”

“Ah,” said Lay teasingly, “were you expecting someone other than me, hyung?”

“Not at all,” Suho smiled at him. “But I wasn’t expecting you either.”

Lay chuckled before he looked straight at Suho. “I was wondering if you were doing anything important today.”

“Was that suppose to be a question? Well, I’m free incase you’re still ‘wondering’,” Suho playfully retaliated.

“Great. That’s all I needed to know.” Once those words left Lay’s mouth, he grabbed the other’s hand and dragged him outside of his house. Closing Suho’s door, he led his friend towards his car, which was conveniently parked in front of the house. Being a gentleman, he opened the passenger’s side for the older Senior, but Suho refused to enter the car.

“I only have my slippers on!” Suho slightly shrieked.

Lay examined Suho, only to see the older wearing sneaker designed slippers. “You look fine; just get in the car already.”

Suho muttered before agreeing to sit down. “So bossy.”

“Such a kid,” Lay shook his head, chuckling to himself when he heard Suho say, ‘I heard that!’

As soon as he entered his car, he put on his seatbelt and started the car. Since both Seniors had the day off today, Lay concluded that he’d take his friend somewhere that would make him happy. Moving the stick to drive, Lay grasped the steering wheel before he pressed his right foot on the gas pedal. The destination wasn’t that far, and he estimated that they’d make it there in about fifteen minutes.

“Where are you taking me?” Suho asked while he looked out the window.

Lay pinched his thumb and index finger together before sliding it across his mouth. “My lips are sealed.”

Suho laughed before he jokingly exclaimed, “Like a bag of potato chips?”

The younger elbowed Suho in the arm as a chuckle escaped his lips. Since both males have been friends since the eighth grade, jokes like that were very common between the two. When Lay had transferred to Korea from China his last year of middle school, he found it difficult to communicate with others with his broken Korean. Yet, after he was assigned to sit next to Suho and Minseok during homeroom, his level of speech increased.

However, Lay’s trip to Korea only lasted a year; seeing as the whole thing was just part of a study abroad program. So a few weeks after he celebrated his eighth grade graduation, Lay was sent back to his hometown in China. The departure was devastating to the trio, and others, who had become genuinely close friends over the course of the year. Lay kept in touch with all of them somehow while in China; but he made it a priority, for some reason, to make Suho the first person he visited when his parents decided to move to Korea his Sophomore year.

Minseok had told Lay it was because he was infatuated with the older, but Lay thought otherwise. ‘Maybe it’s because he was my first friend in Korea,’ Lay had responded, and since then the topic had never been brought up.

Exactly seventeen minutes later, Suho and Lay made it to the target place. It was a small, brick building that seemed to be quite ancient. Barks could be heard emerging from the building, and through the windows, dogs were seen roaming around in several cages. High in front of the place was a nicely placed sign that read, ‘Seoul Dog Shelter’.

“A dog shelter?” Suho expressed his curiosity as he glanced at his friend. “Why’d you bring me to a dog shelter?’

Lay said nothing and opened the door for Suho to enter. As soon as the door was opened, the smell of wet dog and loose fur filled their nostrils. Once they made it inside, Lay looked at his hyung and asked, “Do you remember what you told me last year?”

Suho shook his head with a scoff. “I’m pretty sure I’ve told you a lot of things last year.”

“You told me that you wanted a dog because you were always lonely at home,” Lay reminded him. “So, we’re here to get you a dog.”

Suho opened his mouth to object. “Lay, you don’t have to ge—”

“It’s ok,” Lay cut him off, “adopting a dog is cheaper than buying one. Besides, I’ll help you take care of it. It’ll be our dog.”

The older Senior was still skeptical, but couldn’t help but smile when Lay said ‘our’. “I guess we can compromise; but I’m naming it.”


 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


“I can’t believe you told him that,” Kyungsoo accused his friend.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were currently roaming the streets, each of them trying to find something entertaining to do. Usually they’d already have something planned, but today, nothing came to mind. Baekhyun had insisted they’d go to the carnival, but Kyungsoo had opposed, saying he’d been there too many times already. So with nothing to do, they continued to walk around.

“No offence to Jongin,” Baekhyun began, “but I didn’t think he was smart enough to get what I was talking about.”

Kyungsoo sighed, but froze in his tracks when he saw Chanyeol walking towards him with another person. Baekhyun seemed to see them too, and stood next to his friend as the other two approached. Chanyeol’s companion was as tall, if not taller, than him, and did not look Korean at all. He was undeniably handsome in Kyungsoo’s opinion, but his facial look was a bit threatening.

“Hi Baekhyun hyung, Kyungsoo-ssi,” Chanyeol greeted with a smile. He looked at his friend then back at them. “Um, this is Kris. He’s a childhood friend of mine. He just moved back from Canada.”

Kyungsoo slightly bowed. “Hey, Kris-ssi. I’m Kyungsoo and this is—”

“Baekhyun, right?” Kris cut Kyungsoo off before he looked at Chanyeol with a smirk. “Chanyeol tal—”

Chanyeol sprung to cover his friend’s mouth, giving him a glare. “Actually, we were going to invite you guys to the carnival. Wanna go?”

Kyungsoo in his breath. “To be quite honest, I’m not in the carnival mood. How about you take Baekhyun hyung and I’ll show Kris-ssi around?”

Before Baekhyun could object, Chanyeol rapidly agreed and pulled the former away from the two. Even though he had invited Kyungsoo to come, he was quite pleased that he was able to spend this time with Baekhyun. The older Junior, however, was still a bit dazed at the whole situation. The skin contact between Chanyeol’s hand and his arm was enough to make his face burn.

When both males stopped to cross the street, Baekhyun squirmed his arm a little. “Y-You can let go now, Chanyeol-ah.”

Chanyeol let out a small ‘hm?’ before he let go in realization. “Ah, sorry hyung.”

Once the light turned green, both Juniors made their way across the street. The carnival was just around the corner, which was a relief to Baekhyun who felt that the silence looming over them was too awkward for his liking. Chanyeol felt the same way, but that didn’t stop him from smiling all the way to the carnival’s entrance. As soon as they reached the entrance booth, the youngest Junior took out his wallet.

“Chanyeol-ah, you don’t have to pay for me,” Baekhyun told him as he tried to find his own money.

Said boy chuckled and held his hyung’s arm to stop his movements. “It’s ok hyung. I invited you, anyways.”

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck. “Still, I’ll pay you back whenever I can ok?”

“Not a lot of people agree to hang out with me,” admitted Chanyeol as he looked at the other. “You’ve already paid me back by coming.”

Chanyeol shot Baekhyun a warm smile, and all Baekhyun could do was blush in return.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Kyungsoo learned a lot about Kris after their half an hour walk. Kris was a Junior of Chinese decent, and was nicer than he looked. When asked how he met Chanyeol, Kris replied saying that Chanyeol was one of the few people who approached him when he was younger. And that although he found the younger male rather irritating at times, he still saw him as a younger brother.

After Chanyeol and Baekhyun left to the carnival, both males decided to just walk around until they got out. Kris was already familiar with Seoul, so he didn’t need to be shown around. So he and Kyungsoo decided to pass the time by aimlessly roaming around. Kyungsoo was honestly tired and bored out of his mind, yet that soon disappeared when he saw Sehun and Tao headed their way.

“Hyung!” Sehun called out to Kyungsoo as he ran up to him.

Kyungsoo smiled while Sehun caught him in an embrace. “Hi Sehun-ah, Tao-yah.”

“Nice to see you, Kyungsoo hyung,” Tao acknowledged before looking up at the person next to Kyungsoo. It’d be a lie if Tao were to say that the other man was not attractive, but his look did intimidate the other quite a bit.

Kyungsoo, catching the curious glances towards Kris, decided to introduce him. “Guys this is Kris-ssi.”

Sehun bowed at the new face. “Hey, Kris. My name is Oh Sehun. Nice to meet you.”

“Hello, my name is Huang Zitao, or Tao.” The Sophomore cautiously introduced himself with a bow.

Kris’ eyes lingered on him before he curiously asked, “Are you Chinese?”

“Yes,” was all Tao said to him in return.

Not content with the lack of words, Kris dropped the subject. After seconds of standing in silence, they all made an effort to continue walking since the sky had already darkened. An eerie silence consumed them as walked. Not that they disliked each other or anything, and it wasn’t an uncomfortable silence. However, no one had anything to say, until Sehun took the opportunity to speak.

“Tao and I are going to go play basketball tomorrow since it’s getting late,” Sehun informed. “Would you guys like to come?”

Both Juniors thought about it for awhile before agreeing. Kyungsoo was pretty sure he’d have nothing to do tomorrow, and Kris hadn’t played basketball since he had departed from China years ago. The topic of basketball lingered on throughout their stroll, with Sehun boasting about how good he was at it and Tao saying he could beat him. Kris mentally smirked at the conversation, as he knew he was a pro at the sport, but said nothing. Yet that changed when Kyungsoo playfully told them that he could kick all of their asses even as a one man team.

“Hyung, no offense, but you can’t even play kick ball the right way,” Sehun spilled out.

Everyone chuckled at the maknae’s words. Kyungsoo hadn’t laughed so hard in a while, and he was honestly enjoying himself at the moment. But that all changed when the Junior received a text message from a certain somebody.

To: Kyungsoo

From: Jongin

We seriously need to talk. Meet me at the school’s café tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A/N: Chapter three is up! This one is by far the longest, but I'm not that proud of it. Kris is introduced, and there's some more Sulay and some Baekyeol. Even though the tag says angst, that doesn't come in 'till about two more chapters. Next chapter will include some Taoris, for those of you yearning for it. I was suppose to update yesterday, but I got extremely lazy...

Anyways, I seriously laughed reading some of your comments! I didn't think the Tostitos thing was going to be so popular, but I'm glad you guys got the joke and the bad pun that I put (I kind of cringed at how not-so-punny it actually was). Comment and subscribe if you will, and prepare yourselves for the next chapter!