16.

The Year I Met You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sorry guys, this chapter took me A LONG time to write. Like LONG. I had to come to terms with everything that was going to happen, because I didn't want it to happen, but this had been the plot since the beginning and I knew it had to be done. Thank you for those who are stilling reading this, even though I take forever on updating it. It's such a special piece to me lol... I love Rose, and Kris and Baekhyun. They're so perfff! But now that this chapters out, don't worry, I'll be able to wrap up the story soon enough.

---

It was a sweltering July morning in the city of Chicago. An uncomfortable heat that had crept into the city last night left many of Chicago’s residents cranky and lethargic from the humid weather. With each passing year, Summer was getting a lot more warmer and the days were getting just a little more longer. You’d think that since us humans experience each season every year, we would’ve been accustomed to the heat and cold by now. But to think so, would make us quite ignorant, don't you think?

Due to the up rise in temperature, the city folks were in a far more terrible mood than they usually were. Not only were they swimming in debt, but bathing in their own sweat and tears as well. Though Chicago was nicknamed Windy City, on this day, not a touch a wind was in the air.

It was half past noon.

Baekhyun had awoken some time during brunch hour. He wasn’t exactly hungry, but his stomach wasn’t exactly yearning for the taste of food either. Instead of asking for something to eat, he picked up a new book he had been intending to read and requested some warm tea from his butler. When his butler shuffled away at the stairs, Baekhyun walked out of the doors and sat down on the patio. The air smelt crisp and fresh of Summer’s dew, giving no hint of the rancid city stench. Despite how refreshing the scenery was in front of him, Baekhyun was certain that a humid day such as this one would sooner or later come to an end, and the rain will come pouring down.

He shifted in his seat, making sure that he was comfortable. He opened the book, “As I lay dying” from William Faulkner. It was a fairly new book, published about five or six years ago. Faulkner had always been one of Baekhyun’s favourite American writers, there was something about his writing style that was so dark and powerful, that intrigued Baekhyun deeply. How do people come up with stories like these? How do people write so well, that every essence of the story felt so lifelike? As if everything written down in the book had happened, or was happening right now. How do authors have such magical powers to write novels that made readers feel like they were apart of a life that was not real?

“Your tea, Master Baekhyun.” Butler Lee set the essentials down carefully, making sure that he wasn’t disturbing Baekhyun in any way. He was a very precise man, which is what Baekhyun liked about him. No one else was as precise and particular as he was.

Baekhyun smiled as a token of appreciation. “Thank you. And don’t worry about lunch, I will head out to the city later on for dinner.”

“Are you sure? I can prepare something small for you, it won’t take too long.” Butler Lee disliked it when Baekhyun didn’t eat, it made him feel uneasy. He didn’t have a son, but the way he interacted with Baekhyun, made him feel like he did.

“I’m sure. Tea is good for now, thank you, you may go.” Baekhyun took a sip of his tea, and returned his attention back onto the book.

Without a choice, Butler Lee bowed and left, leaving Baekhyun back to his peaceful sanctuary.

As the minutes went by, Baekhyun’s intrigue for the book was spiraling out of a control. There were so many things happening all at once, it was hard for Baekhyun to grasp every detail of it. It was quite tragic tale to start off your day with, especially on a Saturday, but it had to do for now. This was as close to entertainment as he was going to get, since Suho and Chanyeol were not around to amuse him.

About half an hour into his read, the sound of a car engine came into his hearing. Baekhyun lifted his eyes, and noticed a familiar ford 7W pulling up into his driveway. Confused, Baekhyun set the book down onto the table and waited for the driver to come out. He was sure that he had no appointment with Rose today, so why, at this very moment, was her bodyguard in front of his home? Did something happen? Was he here to deliver news about Rose to him? Suddenly, Baekhyun felt his throat close up and his lips to run dry.

Hang on now, Byun Baekhyun. You are over thinking yourself again. He tried to snap himself out of the negative thoughts. A hard lump had formed in his throat, and he swallowed it away. Nothing has happened to Rose, I am sure of it.

When the figure got out of his car, Baekhyun stood up and adjusted his shirt, making sure that it was tucked in nicely. I believe this gentlemen’s name is Kris? Hm.

He wasn’t sure whether or not to go and greet Kris, or to stand by and wait for the man to come greet him. But Baekhyun wasn’t an arrogant person like his parents, so it’d be rude to have the young man come all the way up to the steps just to greet him.

“Hello,” said Baekhyun, making his way towards Kris.

Kris stopped at the bottom steps and bowed respectfully at Baekhyun, to which Baekhyun did the same. He hated being formal, but it was the lifestyle of a socialite and this was the life he was born into. He had no choice but to accept everything that was given to him.

Kris straightened up then, staring boldly right into Baekhyun’s eyes without blinking.

“What brings you here today?” asked Baekhyun casually. He didn’t want to burst out and ask about Rose so suddenly, he would’ve looked too desperate.

The man cleared his throat, as if doing the process would somehow help him find all the words he was looking for. “I have some important matters to discuss with you. Do you mind… if we relocate to a more private area?”

Puzzled by Kris’s behaviour, Baekhyun stood rigid and still as he tried to understand the man. What could this man possibly want with him? “Is it in regards to Rose?”

Kris nodded curtly, not wanting to say anything else. He knew he had to act now, or else there would be no other way to save Rose. She was going to be in great danger after this.

Baekhyun paled slightly. “Is she okay?”

“She is fine.” For now.

That was all Baekhyun needed to hear. With that, he took his book and led the bodyguard into the house. Here’s the thing about Baekhyun, if someone comes to him in need, even if it was someone he didn’t know very well, he would never shut them down. He would hear them out, listen to what they had to say, and from there he would make his decision afterwards. It’s very important to listen to what people have to say, even if sometimes it’s not always what you want to hear.

Baekhyun led them to his room. It was the only place that could keep secrets.

Kris looked uncomfortable and awkward when he stepped into the room, his staggering tall frame made him look like he was a bear in a squirrels nest.

“Get comfortable, I don’t mind. Would you like some tea? Biscuits?” asked Baekyun, he sat down on his bed, placing the book on his lap as he stared at Kris with a gentle expression.

Kris shook his head and politely declined the offer. “I’m going to skip to the chase, and go right down to what I’ve got to say.”

When Baekhyun said nothing, Kris continued, “I want you to marry Rose.”

Once Kris spat the words out, he knew there was no way he was taking it back. He had to push with all he could to say that to Baekhyun. He knew there would never be a way for him and Rose to be together. She wouldn’t be able to live the happy life she deserved if she was with him. If he stayed with her, they would spend their whole lives running away and that just wasn’t what Kris wanted for her. He wanted Rose to have a family, and to have kids, and live a full and happy life, even if it wasn’t going to be with him.

She deserved to experience all the joys of life, without having any drawbacks. For months he had been watching Baekhyun, observing him, and seeing that nothing was wrong with the kid. Baekhyun, as Lao Ban would put it, was the picture perfect image of a good guy. He was humble and sincere, a good conversationalist and gentle, the kind of guy that Rose should’ve fallen in love with.

“I can't explain to you everything, but I want you to trust me on this,” said Kris. His eyes held a solemn vow, so filled with devotion and firmness that Baekhyun had to look away out of intimidation. 

He let the words sink into his mind, but a few minutes passed and still, Baekhyun couldn’t find it in himself to understand what was going on. He didn’t know if he had heard it correctly, but judging from the screaming look Kris’s eyes was telling him, he was sure that he had heard right. But he didn’t know what to say. He knew that he was extremely fond of Rose, and that every time he saw her laugh, he wanted him to be the reason for it.

“Why are you telling me this?” asked Baekhyun. That might’ve not been the best thing to ask, but he wanted to know.

Kris’s eyes sharpened and he stared at Baekhyun without looking away, “Because I trust you. I trust that you can make her happy. Do you think you can do that?”

“Of course,” said Baekhyun. He was certain of it. But why does Kris… look so heartbroken, as if he was giving away something precious? And then it clicked in his he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter