Losses

Scarred

Seohyun sat in front of the mirror, a female servant kneeling behind her, combing her silky long hair. The flame on the candle flickled as the gentle breeze blew in through the slightly agape rice paper window. Gazing at a raw and fury scar on her arm, a tear trickled down from her eye.

 
"Madam, why are you crying?" the maid asked out of concern, fingers still busy with the lady's hair.
 
Seohyun dabbed her silk hankerchief at her eyes. With a free hand, she flicked her wrist at the servant in hope that she would not continue probbing into her personal matters. Quietly, the maid retreated back to do only her duty. Seohyun sighed.
 
Eyes never once leaving the mark which always reminded her of her past, her mind drifted back to the time when she felt joy and love everyday.
 
Seohyun was 13 years old again. She was in a mansion, viewing the blooming of cherry blossoms. A male servant stood by her, silently watching her. Her parents sat on the front pouch and sipped the aromatic tea, looking over their beautiful daughter. Their lips were curled into a wide smile as they saw their only child dancing in the backyard.
 
"Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun! Aren't the flowers beautiful?" Seohyun exclaimed.
 
"Certainly, Miss," Kyuhyun replied in a soft whisper.
 
Seohyun smiled, so brillantly that it awed the 17 year old male.
 
Kyuhyun had loved her in the purest way ever. All he wanted to do was to always make sure that a smile is on her face. It was a puppy love. Kyuhyun had been serving this family since the day he was able to speak in proper sentences. He was given the job of being by the little girl's side. He had watched her grow from a chubby baby to a pretty lady. He was attracted to her little actions that were almost insignificant to others, but they made his heart race.
 
Seohyun was aware of his love towards her and she too, loved him. However, she prefers that he made his love more obvious. Kyuhyun was always there whenever she needed him. He lent her a listening ear especially when she was crying because she was scolded by her parents for leaving the house without permission. He would say soothing words to her after she had been caned on the back of her legs. A man could never touch a lady anywhere before marriage so he would run around the mansion in search of any free female servant to treat Seohyun's wounds. Marriage...? Kyuhyun laughed. He could never dream of it? He was just a lowly servant, how could he ever think of getting the lady's hand in marriage?
 
From time to time, in her parents' presence, they would exchange timid glances. In their absense, their fingers would brush gently with each other's as they strolled in the garden, side by side. They were never near holding hands. When fingertips touched, it is enough to make them blush in embarrassment.
 
Everything was all good until the main door Seohyun's mansion was barged open at midnight. Men, dressed in black overall, charged into the house on their horses, taking the lives of Seohyun's parents and several servants. Their faces were masked and they each wielded a sword. Some of the swords were already dripping with blood. 
 
Seohyun hid in the shed, quavering. When she heard footsteps running across, she almost yelped. She had to press her hands to to remained quiet... and unnoticed. She stared, eyes wide, at the barred door.
 
Suddenly, the door was violently kicked open. Seohyun could no longer contain her fear. She let down an ear-piercing scream when her eyes met the masked man's ones. The man smirked and swung his weapon in a haphazard manner, drawing more fear out of the 13 year old. She scrambled further in, but it was to no avail. The vicious man lifted the sword above his head and brought it down in one swift move. Seohyun shut her eyes tight, bracing for the blow. However, it never came.
 
Instead, a loud thud and the clanking of mental on the earth was heard. Slowly, she pried open her eyes, the man attempting to kill her was on the ground, his head bleeding a pool. Then, she looked toward the door. A panting Kyuhyun with blood smeared all over his clothing was there. He was holding a torch. Seohyun burst into tears.
 
"Kyuhyun!" she cried.
 
Instantly, Kyuhyun surged forward and grabbed her arm. Dragging her up, he spun and headed for the back door of the mansion. 
 
"Miss! We must hurry!" Kyuhyun yelled. "It seems like the men won't leave until they have massacred everyone living in the mansion."
 
Feet struggling to catch up with her male servant's speed, she muttered a simple "Hm." Tears were still flowing down for cheeks. They sprinted towards the forest where beyond it, was a wealthy and safe village.
 
They meandered through their way through the vegetation. The still night was interrupted by the thundering sound of hoof beats against the hard earth. Amber dotted the vicinity. The men were getting closer to the pair.
 
"Hurry! Hurry!" Kyuhyun said, panic-strickened.
 
Seohyun used her last bit of energy and pushed herself forward. Tripping over tree roots and getting up again and again had already exhausted her. 
 
"Over there!" A voice boomed.
 
"No... no..." Seohyun chanted softly, covering her ears and squatting down. Seohyun panted. Hard.
 
Kyuhyun grunted and doubled over to tug her to stand up. When he rose to his feet, something sharp whizzed past his face and cut his skin. He bled.
 
Arrows.
 
"Quick, duck!" Kyuhyun hissed.
 
Seohyun did what she was told. They proceeded on all fours, crawling their way through the undergrowth. An arrow landed in front of them. Then, another and another. Fear blanched Seohyun's face. Kyuhyun was trying desperately to get the Miss out of the forest safe and sound.
 
"They know where we are!" Kyuhyun shouted. "Run!"
 
Seohyun got up. With her body bent over, she ran straight ahead. Salty tears kept falling.
 
The men set fire on the dried fallen branches and it spread. When Seohyun realised that Kyuhyun was not near her, she pivoted and saw Kyuhyun standing with arms spread out. He was not moving an inch.
 
"Kyuhyun...?" Seohyun said, terrified.
 
Kyuhyun's back had became the target for arrows. He wobbled at his spot. He stared at Seohyun with glassy eyes. His last words were, "Run! And never look back!" With that, he collapsed onto the ground, motionless. Beside his body, the fire grew, engulfing his entire being. The twigs crackled under the intense heat.
 
Seohyun staggered backwards and fell to the ground. Her eyes became dull. Lip trembling, she struggled to her feet and ran. Her breathing was labourous, but she pressed on. Admist her escape, an angry flame lashed at her skin. She screamed as it burnt her skin, leaving a bloody and raw flesh.The flames were like clutches of death, trying to pull her into a hellish realm. Tears continued to slip down her flustered cheeks. The day which the forest burnt, she lost everyone... Everyone whom she loved had died... She wailed.  
 
Fast, she ran. It was until daybreak that the forest opened up and revealed a busy village. She slowed down to walk and upon reaching the first person she saw, her knees buckled and slumped to the ground. Gripping hold of the man's garment, she pleaded, "Save me."
 
Seohyun was back in her room, eyes finally leaving the scar on her arm. Just as the maid said that she was done with her hair, the rice paper door slid open and a man walked in.
 
"My Lord..." Seohyun said.
 
The man knelt down beside her and tilted her chin. Seeing her wet cheeks, he asked, "Have you been crying again, my dear?"
 
Meekly, Seohyun nodded. The man wept away her tears away with his sleeve. Then he stood up and walked over to the bed, He sat down. 
 
"Come," he said.
 
Seohyun went and fell into the arms of her saviour. He would never be her lover for only Kyuhyun was her sweetheart.