Chapter 2

Sunflower

As I came near the door to Room 703, I took a deep breath.

"Dear Lord, if today I die.. please take care of my dad. Please keep me safe," I say a prayer. Haha.. Sometimes I am amazed at my own immaturity level. I can be so childish at time.. and very mature at times.. but most of the time I am childish.. haha

I knocked the room door and waited for a reply.. 5 minutes come to past,. no response. I knocked much louder this time. I was about to burst open the door when a faint voice was heard.

"Get lost!! I don't want to see you.. Just go away!" Now what shall I do?

Still refusing to go away.. I knocked much softly this time.. Not getting any other response, I slowly opened the door. I know it is very rude to enter a patient's private space without having any permission but I have no option.

"I told you I don't want to see anyone right?" He shouted at me.

I remained silent. The room is really in such a mess.. His pillows and blanket is lying on the floor. His IV drip actually was actually long disconnected.. his bed linens stained with blood because he pulled out his IV branulla out. The room temperature is pretty warm. The cardiac monitoring machine at the bedside shown that his vitals is within the normal range. His heart rhythm is on sinus rhythm with no irregular rhythm seen... but there's slight ST-Segment depression on his ECG --- consistent with his recent heart attack. I bet nobody came to check on him throughout the night. Some of his personal things were seen lying all over the floor. 

"Do you want me to switch on the room aircond, Mr Seo?" I asked politely but careful enough not to upset him. 

Mr Seo seems to be a man in his late 50s. He doesn't look so tidy.. not really suits his reputation as a wealthy man. He doesn't even have any maid or personal helper with him. Why did my colleague abandon him up to this level.

"Don't talk to me!" He barks back. He's such a stubborn old man. I the aircond anyway.

I picked up the pillows and also his blankets from the floor and put it on his  bed. I know it's better not to do anything that could make him become even angrier. 

"Good morning, Mr Seo. I am Nurse Nam. I'll be your nurse today.." He kept quiet.. refusing to look at me. He keep himself busy by dangling his legs at the end of the bed. What's is wrong with this old man? I wonder.

"Now, I will be checking your vital signs and after that I will help you with the morning care," I tried putting on the blood pressure cuff to his right arm only to get yanked by him. I know I need to be patient.. this is not making things well, but I can't just abandon him like that. Not when his condition is not so good.

After few yanks and long explanation, he finally lets me check on him. As I expect, his hemodynamics is pretty stable. I am a bit relieve that his condition didn't turn worse.

I Updated him about his progress and why the things that're attached to him is necessary for him. He remained quiet. I went to the room bathroom and took a basin of warm water, and some of his toiletries.

"Mr Seo, now I am going to help you as you wash your face and brush your teeth. Let's comb your hair and tidy up your bed too, okay?" I put the basin on the wooden Cardiac table. After few moments of silence, he eventually make a movement. He took the towel that I put beside the basin and started washing his face in silence. Then, he brushed his teeth.

He looks much better now. I hand him his electrical razor and held up the mirror. Without saying anything, he took the electrical razor and started shaving his beards. It must been few days since he last shaved. I finally put a comb in front of him--he looks very grateful but refused to say anything.

"You look very clean and neat today," I praised him after he's done and satisfied with what he's doing. He's not as aggresive as what the other nurses claimed him to be.

He still keep to himself. Refusing even to make any eye contact with me. I tidy up his cardiac table and his bed linens. The blood stained bedsheet was changed into a new one. The room condition looks more neat and habitable now. 

KNOCK... KNOCK

Knocking was heard at the door... before long, the hospital kitchen staff came with the breakfast tray. I motioned her to place the tray on the  cardiac table.

"Mr Seo, would you like to take your breakfast?" I asked him. He remained silent.

"Mr Seo.. please take your breakfast. I will be back after this with your medications.." I pushed the cardiac table near to him. No response from him yet, I know I need to give him some space. I excused myself and exit from the room.

As soon as I reached the nursing station, everyone has their eyes on me. 

"Mi Ran ah, did he hurt you?" Jin Ae asked me. This is really insane. I just smile at her.. Rumors do make wonder!

Ji Won, Sulli, and Tae Hee approached me with their model like catwalk.. Gah! Am I in trouble again? I didn't do anything wrong as far as I realized..

"You.. he's your assignment throughout this week. Don't ask me to save you or help you.. I won't even bother about the old man!!" Ji Woo chimes..

What the hell!!!... As if I care that much. As long as they don't bother me, then I think I am fine.

"Ji Woo ah,.. Dr Hyun bin is here!!" Tae Hee exclaimed... All the nurses look at the direction Tae Hee pointed..

 

Yes, that's the same Hyun Bin that I know.. A pang of jealousness does engulf me because all of the attention that was showered by the nurses toward my Hyun bin. I sighed... I was about to go to the medication phyxis station to withdraw Mr Seo's medication when I heard a voice greeting me.

"Yah,.. my dorky Mi Ran!" Who the heck dare to call me that?!! I turned around only to be surprised to see Hyun Bin standing few feet behind me. He's smiling from ear to ear.. He looks so handsome! Today he wore a light blue shirt paired with a black slack. A red necktie adds to the detail. Not to mention his white coat. 

"Oi!.. " I know all the other nurses in the unit are looking at us.. as if I care less. Whatever!

"Is that how you greet a doctor?" He gently punched my shoulder... 

He's really not going to stop until he wins.. I was about to throw flying daggers when the witch interrupts.

"Dr Hyun Bin,.. do you want to begin your rounds now?" Sulli asked.. she's well prepared with the patients' case note. I noticed how hardworking all of them were in prettying up themselves.. I really pity them. Some even broke the rule by wearing above knee skirts and donning bright colorful makeups. Come on! This will not be successful in seducing Dr. Hyun Bin.

"Ah.. I almost forget about it. Shall we start from the Open Ward?" Hyun Bin started walking toward the Open Ward.. The witches following him real close. They're really such a leech!

I quickly resumed my work... I wonder how Mr Seo is doing now. Is he eating his breakfast?