Chapter 1

Sunflower

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

"Mi Ran ah,.. aren't you supposed to work today?"

I was awaken to the sound of my dad shouting from the kitchen. I stirred awake a little.. My body still refused to move much. I feel so sleepy and my eyelids felt so heavy to remain open. After 5 minutes passed, I slowly opened my eyes only to be surprised to see the clock showing it's 8.00 AM.

"Gosh!! I am so damn late," I turned panicky upon realizing that I am going to be late for work today. 

I am not a person who like to be late to work. In fact I never came late to work. Today will be the record breaking of such an excellent resume.

I quickly get up from my bed, stumbled upon the rag clothes before falling face first to the bathroom floor. Who put those rag there!!!

"Aish,.. when will bad luck stop following me?" I muttered.

I rubbed my nose, have a peek at it through the bathroom mirror. Luckily there's no any broken bones.

I quickly took the toothbrush and apply a small dot of toothpaste before proceeding to take shower as I brushed my teeth. I need to be fast!

I am just so good at doing many things at the same time. Saving more time.... but sometimes such action got me into trouble.

One event.. I burnt my dad's new shirt because I forgot all about it as I kept myself busy washing the dishes in the kitchen. Dad made me buy him a new shirt which cost me almost half of my salary for burning his shirt. But it never really taught me any lesson. Stubborn me! Second event, I fell into a drain because I was so busy reading a magazine as I walk.. I smell like sewer the whole day. It took me 3 showers that day to eliminate those stinky drain smell. And it never ends... *sigh*

It didn't take long for me to be prepared.. After 10 minutes, I was set to go. I was wearing my blue uniform, and my hair is neatly plaited. I took a glance at the mirror before darting to the kitchen to wish my dad good morning and eventually grabbed a piece of sandwich on the table.

Before long I found myself running toward the street, I am fortunate enough because my house is only 10 minutes away from the hospital that I am currently working at. I ought to be clocking in at 8.45 AM and now I only have about 20 minutes to go.

This is all because of Hyun Bin's fault for making me stay up late replying to his text messages. Yes, Hyun Bin is my best friend! We grew up together but got separated after we graduated from high school. He's actually working as a cardiologist at the hospital that I am currently hired at. Well, he's the one who suggested that I applied to work there after I graduated from college, so here I am.

My name is Nam Mi Ran. I am 22 years old., very young still to be working as a nurse. Why I become a nurse? Well,.. actually mostly it's because of my late mother. She died due to cancer and I was really sad about it that I decided to help others as they recover from their illness. Even though I am very passionate with my career but there're people who keep making my life feels like hell.. Yes. The beautiful life as a nurse never happen so far.

"Yah, Mi Ran!! Why are you so late?" That was such a great greeting to begin the day with.. I am not LATE.. well, just 2 minutes late.. but else than that, I am in a great shape. Come on, this is my first time being late for 2 minutes even.

I bowed my head in response to my seniors scolding. I know better not to messed up with them or else they won't even let you remain alive in your unit.

"Mianhae, sunbaenim!" I apologized politely.

"You.. what are you doing there? Quickly go and assessed the patient in Room 703 now!" One of the senior, Ji Woo barked at me. Sulli and Tae Hee, her followers just smile like a fake doll. They just can't stand without bullying the juniors. People called them evil witches gang because of their wickedness. I just don't understand why they become a nurse in the first place when they hates to take care of the sick patients. They chooses their patient--refusing to be assigned to a poor and very sick patient.

I know I am nobody to critic them as I am not perfect myself but sometimes I just can't help thinking about them. Someday, they will learn their lesson perhaps.

I excused myself and gathered the patient's case note. I quickly look at the previous entry to gain a baseline data. Room 703 is one of our unit VIP room. I am starting to wonder why those witches gang is not paying much attention to the patient who stays in that particular room.

I took the vital signs machine and walk toward the room. As I passed the hallway, I heard some of the nurses whispered among themselves.. They look at me as if I am walking to my death. Yes, I've been off from work for the last 3 days so basically I don't know much about the current happenings in our unit.

 

I stopped one of my colleague and ask what is wrong. Why is everyone avoids to attend the patient in room 703.

"Didn't the witches told you anything about the Patient in Room 703?" She asked

"No. They didn't tell me anything," I answered honestly. It's true.. Ji Woo sunbae just ordered me to check on the patient.

'You gotta be careful. All the nurses are afraid of him because he's such a mad man. He keeps shouting at the nurses, refusing to eat his food and throw away all his things before we even able to approach him.." She rattles. I am actually shocked..

"He was admitted 2 days ago after he got a heart attack. Just be careful, Mi Ran ah.. He's some very powerful rich man," She advice me..

"Thanks, for the information!" I am very thankful really for such information. Ah, no wonder why the witches gang refused to attend to the patient.

This is making me more curious about the patient.