Chapter 3

Sunflower

I knocked on Mr Seo's door and enters.

I am very surprised to see him finished eating his breakfast but I decided not to say anything.

"Here's your medications. Please eat them as well." I place the medication cup in front of him. 

"This medications helps in controlling your blood pressure, and thinning your blood. This marroon color capsule is a supplement for your heart,.." bla bla bla.. I continue explaining. He took the medications slowly. He's not like how my colleague describes.

I took the empty meal tray out from his room and sent it to the pantry.

I was on my way back to Mr Seo's room when someone grab my by the hand. 

"Yah!" I shouted involuntarily.. I am trying hard to balance the dirty food tray from dropping to the floor.

"Sush!.." That person said. 

"Who do you think you are to do that to me?.." This is so iritating!

"Yah, Mi Ran ah it's me, Hyun Bin.,"

Geez... 

"What are you doing here? Everyone is looking.." 

"Do you want to go out with me later? It's been long since we last go out together for a meal,"

Wow!.. He's asking me out!! He's asking me out!.. Am I dreaming?? Oppa, is asking me out!!

I was just about to answer when his phone rang.. After the call his facial expression changed. From smiley to frowning..

"What's wrong, Binnie??" I asked.

With a pained expression, he breaks the news..

"Ran yah.. The hospital president want me to eat dinner with his family this evening. What should we do?" I know it! I should have known it better.. 

"Ah,. I see. It's fine, Binnie... Just go to the dinner. We can go out another time. Besides this is more important to you," I tried to answer with a cool expression hiding my disappointment. I realize.. I am no one to stand beside such a talented person as Binnie Oppa. We grew up really close together but it seems our pathway is really different now. I've been having a huge crush on him since we're in elementary school.

Hyun bin excused himself and I went on my way.

 

~In Mr Seo's room~

 

"Mr Seo, is there anything that I can do to help you?" Aish... how and what should I do so that you will talk to me. He's really such a difficult patient.

I remained silent for almost 20 minutes. I remember what the chaplain told us in college that presence is enough when you face any difficult patient. Sometimes they just need someone to be there without saying anything. Just being present is a gift to such people. Perhaps this is the best thing..

"Mr Seo,. it there's anything that you need help with, please do not hesitate to let me know. Now.. please excuse me. I'll be back to check on you from time to time," I excused myself..

I was about to open the door when he finally spoke.

"Thank you, Nurse Nam!" I am so surprised with his response.. Let me tell you something... Receiving words of thanks from your patient is really the most satisfying and happy moments in the life of a nurse.. so, next time don't forget to say words of thanks to nurses: It help fuels their day.

I smiled at him.

 

 

I wonder how this week going to be. I am a little bit relieved that my seniors didn't make any fuss over what happened at the Nursing Station earlier on. Sometimes Binnie Oppa can be childish and immature. But no one really knows the relationship that Dr Hyun Bin and I shared.

Is it too difficult loving someone? I know I am not the kind of person who're brilliant or influential enough to try to win Binnie Oppa's heart.

 

Still every person has a desire deep in their heart to be loved by someone. To have someone look after them. A shoulder to lean on when facing difficult times. A pair of hand to wipes their tears when they're sad. A hand to hold their cold hands. A warm embrace to reassure that everything will be okay. Even those who claimed that they don't need someone to make them happy, they too somewhat wishes the same thing. Love is something so mysterious that it would take ages for people to study.

Dad has always loved mom even to her last breath. Dad never leave mom---even though mom's appearance changed: The chemotheraphy and radioactive treatment caused mom to lose pounds of weight, She vomits every food that she put inside , endless pain, her skin become darker, her hair fall all over,.. yet dad never even once think of leaving her at all. I want to meet such kind of person. After mom passed away, dad showed the best example to me.

 

I know he missed mom a lot because sometimes at  night I could hear him play their favorite song on the CD Player in the living room. Dad would place mom's picture on the table, and he would sit on a chair in front pretending that he's sitting right in front of mom. He then would pour on liquor and pours his heart content. I love the connection and relationship that my parents has--how they taught me to appreciate LOVE. Someday I want to experience such thing that called love.