Double Date Complications

Mischief on Valentine's

“Hey!” I smiled at Calvin sweetly as I notice Genie slowly heading towards us. Before she came to us, he handed me a beautifully wrapped rectangular shaped box; it must be chocolates, yum!

“Happy Valentine’s Day Gui Gui!”

As a gesture of thanks I gave him a small hug. I’m guessing that Genie must’ve caught us and awkwardly look away to the side. I guess she didn’t want to destroy the “mood”. Really, it was nothing more than a friendly hug. Truthfully it felt no different from hugging any other person I knew.

“Hey sorry for interrupting but Gui Gui can I use your bathroom?”

“Oh sure, go ahead, it down the hall to the left.” I pointed out to her where the restroom was and received a small thanks.

“So,” I continued my conversation with Calvin, “where are we going now?”

“We’re thinking about going to the Chinese restaurant next to the theatre before catching a movie. We were going to meet up at the Pacific Place Theatre but Aaron’s car broke down so we’re carpooling.”

“That sounds awesome!” He crooked his right brow, “No, not Aaron’s car, that but the plan for the night sounds great!” I laughed.

“You look great-” he started…

“Let’s go!” Genie gave a small smile and headed toward the car.

I jumped a bit from the abrupt interruption. “Yeah, we should get going,” I agreed and the three of us started for the car.

I finally see him. Yes, him. You know who I’m talking about. Yes, the one and only…Aaron Yan.

I went to greet him and we headed out. The car ride wasn’t bad, it felt awkward at first I guess but Aaron and Calvin started breaking the ice.

Chinese Deli Restaurant. Interesting name…

“Here we are!” Calvin announced and geared into park. “Yeah I know, not the best name but what can I say, the food here is awesome.”

“You definitely can’t judge a restaurant by its cover,” Aaron added in with a laugh as we strolled over to the entrance.

*
“Are you guys ready?”

I stared at the young waitress. She was definitely in a hurry. You can’t blame her, who would’ve thought that this little Chinese restaurant could get quite crowded and busy at night also, especially at Valentine’s Day.

“Yes,” Calvin replied, “we would like your spring rolls, house fried rice, kung pao prawns, and general tso’s chicken.”

“Anything to drink?”

“Does that sound good to you guys?” asked again to double check.

Before I was able to agree, Genie already spoke out.

“I’m going on a diet right now, so I don’t want to eat much. You guys can share and I’ll just get a cup egg flour soup and a half order of assorted vegetables with tofu. And a cup of hot tea would be nice.”

The four pair of our eyes landed on her.

What do you do when you’re on a double date and the other girl says she is on a diet and doesn’t want to eat much? Should you do the exact same thing or just consume as much as you regularly do? As much as I wanted to shut my big mouth, somehow I blurted out that I didn’t want to eat much also, but I didn’t use the whole “diet” excuse, it was that “I had already ate at home, so I’m not hungry” type of deal. I ordered a half bowl of wonton soup and that was it.

“Are you girls sure? Genie?” Aaron questioned us. We, Genie and I, both nodded our heads.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine,” Genie assured him.

“You should order a cup of rice with that,” Calvin remarked.

“It’ll be fine. I don’t need the carbs anyway. So it doesn’t matter.” She snapped back at him.

“Fine,” And with that said, Calvin canceled the previous order and both the guys decided to order the individual dinner combo.

I don’t know if it’s just me or there is something going on between those two and it doesn’t seem to be in a good way.

*

Thank god it was a quick dinner. I don’t think I could stand it any longer. Remember how Rainie told me Aaron doesn’t like Genie in that kind of way…she was wrong. How? Well let’s see here, so during dinner Genie got like really mushy with Aaron. I mean, like seriously, who feeds their date when they’re on a double date! And he was happily eating every bite she fed him. So that was really depressing…on the other hand, you know what’s weird? Calvin was telling that the fried rice was great and fed me a bite of his rice, same with his kung pao prawns, and even with the soup. Yes he allowed me to taste it with the fork and spoon he used. I don’t know but man did it feel awkward...

*

OH MY GOD.

You would not believe what I’m seeing right now.

OH MY GOD.

Even I can’t believe it.

OH MY GOD.

Is it even possible? Am I seeing things right?

OH MY GOD.

There is Calvin and Genie…holding hands?!

OH MY GOD.

Calvin Chen and Genie Zhou are holding hands or more rather he is holding her hands?!

OH MY GOD.