Uneasy Heart

Mischief on Valentine's

“What? You’re joking right?” Rainie stopped typing on the computer and turn her head toward me. “Gui Gui, you’re an idiot, you know he might’ve asked you out.”

I rolled over my bed to face her while I bit my lip. Rainie’s right, I am an idiot. What if he really wanted to ask me out? I thought it was going to be all right but why do I feel like crap right now?

“Oh stop rubbing it in. At least I get to see him on Valentine’s Day,” I spoke out with confidence.

“At least on the bright side you’re being optimistic about it right? But don’t you think it’s kind of weird that Genie would actually go on a date with Aaron?”

What’s so weird about it? Come to think of it they’re like a couple made from heaven. They’re both strait “A’s” students on honor roll. They’re both in National Honor Society and one is cheerleading captain and the other is the captain of the basketball team. Oh Gui Gui, why do you have to pour more salt onto your own wound?

Rainie continued, “Remember sophomore year when Aaron tried to ask Genie out but she rejected him.”

I don’t even remember that, oh my, does Rainie stalk Aaron too?

“And to answer your question Gui Gui, no I think you’re the only one who stalks him. I just happened to remember it because that was the day when I rejected Wilber Pan.”

“Oh. And give me a break already, it’s not like I still do.” She’s never going to stop teasing me. “And plus, maybe over the past two years, she likes him now or else she would’ve rejected his offer,” I stated with sadness. Thinking over it again, I’m so jealous of Genie, since freshman year, she had at least four classes with Aaron and I only had at the most, two classes with him since freshman year. She’s like perfect and also a great person. You don’t know how much I want to hate her but can’t.

I heard the doorbell ring. Peeking at the front door from upstairs, it’s Aaron. Aaron? Why is he here? It’s not like I don’t like seeing him because I do like seeing him but seeing him right now always reminds me of the double date we’re going to have. However he’s not exactly my date. Oh yeah he’s tutoring Tian Hua again today because of Tian Hua’s math exam the day after tomorrow. Haha, can’t believe that kid has an exam on Valentine’s. Wait. That means…that means…that means that the day after tomorrow is...is...Valentine’s day. You got to be kidding me.

“Hey Gui Gui, that was Aaron right?” Rainie asked. She had something in her mind that I didn’t like, I could tell as she rubbed her chin. I nodded. “Why don’t we just ask him if he really likes Genie? Let’s go!” she suggested, well more like commanded and dragged me down the stairs. Oh no you don’t Rainie Yang. We were half way down the stairs, not wanting to go down any further, I held onto the railing tightly as Rainie continuously tried to drag me down while I was trying to move up the stairs. “You’re not going right?” she asked and I shook my head. I could tell she was sick of trying to get me down. “Fine then I’ll ask him myself.” She heads down the stairs again. No way! That still cannot be done! I ran toward the bottom of the stairs and blocked her from leaving the staircase. “You know what Gui Gui, that’s it. Aaron! Aar–" she attempted to call Aaron but I placed my hand over before she finished. All I could hear was alien words from her mumbling as she tried to slap my arm away and I think some of her saliva is on my hand. Gross. Even if it’s gross, I’m still not going to let her ask Aaron! Too bad right now, he's coming over to us.

“You girls called?” Aaron came over to us but ended up staring at my hand that was covering Rainie’s mouth.