Gaining Interest

Oblivious to You

 

Chapter Two

Jessica and I entered the lunchroom, still happily chatting like long lost friends. I stopped as a girl (intentionally) bumped into me, raising her eyebrows when I raised mine. Flipping her hair after giving me a once over, she walked away without a word. I gave Jessica a confused look, to which she responded with a knowing giggle.

“Is every girl around here mental?” I asked with a sigh; as we walked pass a girl that tried to trip me with her leg.

“Well, I’m not,” Jessica responded with a laugh, twirling her hair with her fingers, “But most of the rest are. They hate you because you skipped the long, long line of admirers that wanted to land on Taecyeon’s lap.”

“I figured as much,” I said, grabbing a lunch tray from the rack. “It to make enemies without even trying.”

“Without trying to what?” An all too familiar voice asked just as I felt an arm wrap around my waist.

Taecyeon kissed my cheek in greeting, leading me and Jessica to the end of the cafeteria line. It was a funny sight. Magically, the line disappeared—like the parting of the Red Sea.

“Make enemies.” Jessica answered, smiling at him flirtily.

“Oh, I’m sorry to in,” Taec said, offering his hand to her, “I’m Ok Taecyeon. Jung Jessica from junior year, right?”

Jessica nodded with a blush, taking his hand and shaking it stiffly.

“Thank you for taking care of my girl for me.” He said, much to my embarrassment, giving her a 90 degree bow.

“What the hell, Taec,” I shrieked, “Will you stop that? Girls seem to want to murder me as it is!”

He simply shrugged, loading my tray with food he knew I’d like. Jessica followed suit. At the cashier, I fished out my wallet, but Taecyeon waived it off—paying for both my and Jess’ purchases.

“So Jessica, wanna come sit with us?” He asked. Picking up my tray with one hand as the other draped over my shoulder, he nodded towards the end of the cafeteria where a longest table was.

“Sure.” Jessica answered timidly, biting her lip to keep the excited squeal that almost escaped her lips.

When we reached the table, Junho immediately stood to offer me the chair to Taecyeon’s right. The boys, whom Taecyeon has already introduced this morning, introduced me to the girls sitting with them for lunch. Jessica was careful to tell me that with the exception of Taeyeon, who was Junsu’s sister and Wooyoung’s long-time girlfriend; and Sunny, who was Junho’s sister, none of the rest were permanent residents of the lunch table.

Nodding in acknowledgement, Jessica and I smiled and waved at Taecyeon’s lunch mates before starting to eat my meal.

Taec opened my canned soda while I unwrapped his sandwich as I told him about Algebra class. He chuckled as he recounts the time I faked fever to avoid Math exam. I was about to back when I realized that everyone at the table was watching the two of us.

Noticing this too, Taecyeon cleared his throat, prompting everyone to start awkward conversations with the one sitting next to them.

“Uh, why was everyone looking at us like we’re crazy?” I asked Wooyoung who was sitting to my right.

“We’re just surprised that Taecyeon is actually talking to a girl and not pawing her clothes off.” He answered with a shrug.

Oh, was Taecyeon’s Casanova image really that bad? Shrugging off the thought, I continued eating my sandwich. I wrinkled my nose as a familiar smell made me cringe. Taecyeon looked at me the moment he sniffed the same scent my nose picked up.

“Who’s eating Kimchi pancakes?” He asked, scanning the table. His hand automatically flew to cover my nose as he spotted Chansung about to shove a particularly large piece of pancake to his (very talkative) date for the day. “Sorry, buddy, you’ll have to feed your girl at the far end of the table.”

I elbowed Taecyeon, surprised at his orders and even more surprised that Chansung simply shrugged and pulled his date up to the end of the table without so much as an annoyed or hurt look.

“You shouldn’t have done that, Taec,” I whispered, pulling him by the collar.

“Do what?” He asked innocently, “You hate the smell of Kimchi pancakes, right?”

“Yeah, but you shouldn’t have displaced Chansung just because it makes me uncomfortable.” I frowned, “He might hate my guts.”

Taecyeon chuckled, messing my hair as he called out to Chansung. “Hey, man, did you get offended when I shooed you away?”

“’Course not, dude,” Chansung replied, smirking as he pulled his date on his lap.

I rolled my eyes as Taecyeon gave me an ‘I told you so’ look. He threw an arm over my shoulder as he talked to his friends while I talked to Jessica. It wasn’t after the bell that he retrieved his (heavy) arm from me only to take my bag from the floor and sling it behind him along with his.

He and Nichkhun started walking with me and Jessica as we exited the cafeteria.

“So where are you heading next?” He asked Jessica, who obviously knows our schedule more than I do.

“Gym class, with your class,” She responded, the flirty smile returning to her lips. “Mrs. Choi is still out sick.”

Gym with Seniors? This is going to be so embarrassing. See, while I thrive in competition, sports has always been my waterloo. Then again, that may have just been in comparison to Taec, who obviously—based on the jersey jacket he had on his back—was a sports god.

“Crap, we have gym?” I smacked my forehead, “I didn’t bring any change of clothes!”

“I have an extra pair of gym shorts,” Jessica told me, looking at me as if to check whether we’re the same size.

“Great! Any chance you have a spare shirt to go with that?” I asked, hopeful that the answer was a yes.

My face fell when she shook her head, giving me a puppy dog face. Nichkhun slung his arm over my slumped shoulders.

“I have extra, Hot stuff,” He said with a wink, “It would be great to see you in my clothes, if you know what I mean?”

Taecyeon growled in annoyance, glaring at Nichkhun threateningly. Fearing for his life, Khun took his arm away with a subtle clearing of his throat.

“Use my Jersey.” Taecyeon told me grumpily, throwing out his football jersey to me as we stopped in front of the girls’ locker room. “Meet you outside.”

Jessica and I giggled as we watched Taecyeon pull Nichkhun away by the collar. Changing quickly, Jessica and I stood in front of the mirrors to have a look before running out to meet the coach. To my surprise, a girl moved in front of Jessica, obstructing her view of the mirror, while a couple of cheerleaders stood behind her.

“Hey, didn’t you see her using the mirror?” I asked, with a snare.

“So, you’re dating Ok Taecyeon.” She said, ignoring my question. “Props to you, after all Taecyeon-ie rarely dates newcomers. My name is Im Yoona, and you’re overstepping personal property.”

“First of all, doe-eyed Barbie,” I retaliated with a snort. “Taec and I aren’t dating. And last time I checked, he was nobody’s property.”

Barbie looked offended when I turned to walk away with Jessica walking by my side. Jessica giggled, trying to control her laughter. I would’ve doubled up with laughter too, if only I wasn’t so bothered with how my shirt looked like.

“Jess, rolled up or keep it down?” I asked, flapping my arms up and down as we walked to the field.

“Definitely up,” She answered helping me roll my sleeves and pulled the hem of Taecyeon’s Jersey—pinning it behind me to have the material hang closer to my curves.

“Damn,” A male voice called from behind, “Ok must really be one lucky bastard.”

“Excuse me?” I asked, turning to see a tall good-looking guy checking me out.

He pointed at the Jersey I was wearing, “Isn’t wearing his jersey what girlfriends do?”

I looked at Jessica for confirmation, she nodded—seemingly star struck with the guy we’re talking to. Thinking for a bit, I decided not to waste my time trying to tell him me and Taec aren’t an item. I shrugged, pulling Jessica away from him.

“Choi Siwon, by the way,” He called after me, “I’ll see you again, sweetheart, you best believe it.”