Rescue Squad

Tomboy Roomie

 

The way he smiled, it made my skin crawl. Every button being unlatched in the shaky silence of heated breath. My head spun in confusion, totally blank from ideas or maneuvers to outsmart him. Too much was happening at once. As he moved his head forward into the light's path and when he did, I did the one thing I could do. I pushed myself from the wall head-butting him front on.  He flinched for a split second loosening his grip, leaving an opening. I forcefully removed myself from my hung position. Scrambling to to my feet I ran outside, only to be caught by a canvas sack, enveloping my sight into complete darkness.

-------------------------------------------------------

My hair was still wet, sticking to my temple as I dried my back. Walking towards my desk I realised that it was getting dark outside. Would Yuri be back by now? She usually was. I reassured myself checking the digital clock settled on my bedside table. 

I chuckled inwardly. She'd probably still react the same way she did if she walked in on me half again. How long had it been since then?

A sudden vibration abruptly filled the silence, catching me off guard.

"Hey Minho is Jae-Yup with you?" Jonghyun asked genuinely confused. I checked the time on the phone, slightly disgruntled. It was 9 o'clock, weren't they supposed to be together?

"No... Why would you ask that?" There was a short silence, which was probably his time to properly affirm himself.

"Well, I was at the back of school with him just a moment ago and went to take a dump to come back to nothing. I just thought maybe he would've been with you."

Wait, was he seriously talking about the back of the school? Nobody, ever went to the back unless it was a life or death decision. The place had lots of rumours of apparition sightings and such, but it was all just blind man's tale. He knew better than that, the place was just ominous and foreboding. Too dark and obscured for his tastes.

"You know, where the janitor lives?" He continued in the tone like I ought to have known this 'janitor' he was speaking of. Although he were a person you'd see around about, but the peculiar thing was I didn't. Who was this janitor? The only janitor I knew of was the middle-aged man married to a homeroom teacher that lived somewhere in an officetel in a not so affluent part of Seoul. Who was this 'janitor'?

"Oh, what's this?" There was a brief scuffle as objects cluttered to the side, which was probably Jonghyun moving some obstacles.

"Weird....." I clenched the phone, frozen in place. "It's Jae-Yup's tie." For a moment I seemed to have lost my breath. What was he doing leaving his tie around? Why? Could it have been forcefully removed? Jae-Yup, wouldn't have frivolously discarded something that another handed him, would he? I doubt it.

I clenched my fists into balls. "It's really messy in here Minho, you should see it, I bet you'd be itching to clean it up." He semi-chuckled before I interrupted him.

"Jonghyun, start looking for Jae-Yup," I commanded meanwhile slipping on a shirt. I exploded out the door, regretting my choice of thin material. I jogged out the door, remembering to pinch my keys off the counter as I did so. My body was still wet, and cold sensation of an impending flu washing across like waves.

"Don't hang up!" I growled with Jonghyun shying hesitantly, completely clueless of what was happening. I wasn't sure myself if what I was thinking was right, but it was enough to get me on my feet and anxious. 'Yuri, where are you?'

"Are there any trails Jonghyun?" His voice came shaking to rhythmic gait. 

"Weirdly, yeah. It's almost like you're here." His comment sounded more over sarcastic than amused.

It didn't seem long before I caught up to Jonghyun who seemed lost twirling around.

"They couldn't have gotten far," I panted breathlessly. Never had I run so fast across a campus in my life. Yuri, where are you? I shouldn't be worrying so much about you. You shouldn't be such a priority. You could be safe, you could be fine. But this feeling of utter uselessness isn't fitting. I don't want to get used to this. I feel so weak without you.

"Why are you even so worried Minho?" Jonghyun's stare intensified, although I would take him for a fool and lie.

"He's a strong kid. He'll be fin-" "He won't Jonghyun! He won't!" I exploded with frustration, balling my fists by my side. My voice seemed to have come out more raged than intended, echoing down the dimly lit corridors. Why couldn't he read the atmosphere? Was I ever one to lie in the first place? Had I belittled him so much that my words weren't even filled with insincerity? Why am I digging so deep? What is wrong with me?

Slowly as silent seconds passed all the more needles to prick at my heart.

"Oh, well. I see...I'm sorry I said anything," His voice frosted with bitterness. I really wanted to apologise, to turn and tell him everything, because we'd been friends for so long. 

"Sorry Jonghyun. I didn't mean it like that. It's ok if you leave." What was my mouth doing? My voice came out so monotone and insincere. 

"I'll do just that then. Good luck with your search Minho," He spoke coldly especially when it came to my name. His loathsome contempt for it almost like it were the most shunned word a man could speak. Jonghyun would understand me right? If I explained later, about this crazy story my mind conjured when I had heard Yuri had disappeared from a suspicious shed at the back of the school, where particles of her clothes were found on the floor and a supposed man living there. Jonghyun, really, I'm sorry.

I kept jogging, climbing down the last batch of stairs to the car park. It was the most secluded entrance of the school, the place I always parked Cece and also the most efficient escape for the pried publicised students of SM. I could barely make-out anything thing from where I was. Squinted my eyes, I kept my pace down the stairs until I heard a muffled cry from directly beneath.

Two men dragging away a blinded figure. "Lemmfe gof!" came a muffled shriek. It was Yuri. I could feel the anger boiling inside of me as I saw them dragging her along, even as she forced her legs to scrape against the pavement. Eventually leading her to use her full weight and drag down their futile capture. "Stupid b*tch, just come with us!" 

"You b*stard!" I seethed launching myself at the taller man. He toppled over and lay defenceless between my thighs as I began to punch him across the face. I knew very well what charges I'd have to face, how risky and bad it would be for my father's company, though at the moment would it matter? Would it matter if money was saved and this girl was defiled? Corrupted? He didn't care the very least.

"Pretty boy where'd you come from?" The other hissed releasing Yuri to aid his bruised accomplice. With her arms free, she quickly unravelled the blind-fold and stared in shock. "Yuri! Go get help!" I exerted my force running into the man, catching him off guard. "I'm not leaving you!" She yelled determined with tears b. The man landed a punch across my cheek and I could feel the linger sting of the impact as blood rushed towards my wound. 

Whilst the other man lay unconscious Yuri scurried towards him, tying his shoe laces together and wrapping the cloth previously used as a blind fold to be a rope binding his arms back. But just as he did he pounced back up and elbowed her in the stomach and kicking her shin. It all happened so quickly. Now it was a role-switch, Yuri sprawled on the ground and writhing to try and manage the pain.

I tried to get to her, but my hands were full with the iac man beneath me. I watched in raw horror as he inched towards her like she were some piece of meat. It was then that a shadow apparated behind him striking the man across the head, deftly knocking him out.

"You've always been too dramatic," Jonghyun smirked. I collapsed to my knees, falling on all fours just stared at the ground in disbelief. "Minho..." Yuri's voice faltered beside me. She looked shaky. Not traumatized, because thankfully he'd arrived in time. He couldn't imagine it. 5 minutes late, no. One minute later and she could have been gone. He could feel her hand rest of his shoulder curve, trembling like a puppy. Standing up I gripped her by the shoulder, staring straight into her brown eyes. All I could think of was 'any later, and I wouldn't be seeing you.'

"Just hug it out already," Jonghyun retorted in a semi-chuckle. 'What rubbish he was spout-' Yuri's smaller form crashed into mine, wrapping her arms around me like there was no tomorrow. Slowly my arms fell onto her back, and I began to it although it were a natural thing I'd done all my life. I crinkled my nose slightly as I could feel the wetness of her tears soaking through my shirt. Yuri had brought out the strangest in me, and he still didn't know enough about her to truely care.

"What if I told you I was being sarcastic? Geez you guys creep me out," the elder senior commented on the sidelines. Usually I would have retailiated, would have even put on a fit. But there was something about this moment, something too precious to get riled up in. 

"What're you going to do about the reputation thing? Wouldn't it be really bad for your dad's company?" She sniffled, purposely leaving her head downcast. "It won't matter, we have the best lawyers, we can cover it up. Anyway, wouldn't the news of me being a student hero be posted along with it?" I chuckled, only to be responded by a weak fist to the chest. "You don't get it do you? I'm a guy, what guy would get ?" I bit my lips. That was sort of true.

I was about to pull away when she grabbed me once again by the hand. I looked at her incredulously, only to find her bangs covering her fearful eyes. Sympathetically I wrapped my fingers around hers, shaking then affirmingly into place. It would be like my way of assurance, I definitely wouldn't let this happen again. 'Nothing happened, nothing will.' I chanted.

"Well, I guess I'll be leaving," Jonghyun breathed burdenedly. Yuri nodded weakly, soon to be mimicked by me. "I'll see you tomorrow?" I mustered a smile from my serious look. "It's a Saturday, sure."

The walk back to the dorms was deadly quiet. I couldn't find the exact words to say to her. 'Are you okay?' was probably the thing she least wanted to hear. Obviously from the frail statured girl before him, it had affected her substantially. He could still feel the slight spasm that travelled down her arm and through his body. It worried him.

"Will you be okay?" She nodded silently with rather sullen eyes. I never knew this could affect her so negatively. Was she that fragile? I watched her worriedly as she made her way to her room, latching it shut as she always did but in a more mourningful manner. It was painful to watch her moping like this, he missed the bubbly tomboy that's explode with outbursts and quaint remarks. But it was quite obvious that persona had been blanketed with depression.


Author's Note:

*LOUD SHRIEKING* 

Thank you sincerely to everyone who has stayed this far :) I love you guys!! 

- Oh lords, I'm back. I have not died 8D I realize now that stories aren't really my forte ; 3 ; they take so much time and effort. I am SINCERELY THANKFUL FOR ALL OF MY SUBSCRIBERS. I appreciate everything really TT v TT  In all honesty I'd finished this wwaaaayyyyy back like in October? I don't even know since it's been so long OTL

- It's actually embarassing crawling back to you guys after so long so I send all my hug supplies and holiday wishes for you all! xD 

- Another reason why I haven't updated is because the more conscious I become of everything else the more unsure I become of my own. ; v ; Hope you'll be able to sympathize. Reading back on the passed chapters is cringe worthy

((I tried uploading this couples times so sorry to all you who were dissapointed to see nothing when I deleted it))

BTW THERE IS A MOUSE IN THIS HOUSE AND IM PRETTY SURE IM NOT CALM OH NO GOODBYE