Meeting my Roomie

Tomboy Roomie

Minho's POV

The glasses were perched upon the principal’s high nose bridge hiding his elusive eyes. "Minho," he gestured beside him to a boy beside him," this is your new room mate." The boy to Mr. Lee's side rather short. He was preoccupied jacket zipper, fidgetting the metal tag between his index and thumb. He was wearing a casual neon hoodie covering most of his face and some baggy sweatpants smudged by blotches of dirt mounts. Beside him, a black suitcase propped on it's side, wheelless and stuffed with clothes.

The principal turns to the new kid with a wrinkled grin. "His name is Minho, and he'll take care of you. I know that he's a good and honest boy, so you can trust him." It was almost like the principal was persuading the new kid to believe I wasn't a savage. "Well, you two go off now. Oh, and you better show Yuri around the school too Minho." I give a curt nod and leave out the door.

"What's your name again? Yuri right?" I question him raisisng my eyebrows. The boy nods tersely as he heaved the suitcase out the door, closing it silently behind him. What were his parents thinking when they named him? Not to raise him as a cross-dresser I hope. The last thing I would want is waking up to a guy dressed as a girl, in my room early in the morning. God, someone kill my imagination please. 

"Not to be rude, but in Korea that's a rather feminine name." He stares at me skeptically like it had some hidden meaning behind it. "Thanks?" This kid was so peculiar. Couldn’t he just deny it? We weave through hallways and slowly branch off to my dorm in the seniors section. Yuri seems star-struck with everything but his eyes seem to linger on the girl's dormitory. Maybe he was a ert, at least that broadened the possibilities of him being straight. 

He seemed alot more tired up close,baggy eyes and a slim jaw line. Each step he took with a daze and sluggish movement. Now that you think about it, his voice was barely audible and lifeless. I could just imagine his stomach rumbling at ay moment.

"We're here. This is your room now." His eyes boggle, frozen on the spot. The sight of the room seemed to revitalized him as his eyes gleamed with anticipation."This is our dorm? It's like the size of a house!" He throws off his worn out sneakers by the ones alined against the door and rushes in, placing the suitcase on the lounge carpet. He looked so enthralled, curling his toes on carpet, breathing in the scent of clean aerosol. With that look on his face, it felt like he could drop down and start rolling around like a puppy at any moment. 

 He turns to me and smiles. He looks so...... feminine, but like a boy? I show him his room, which was originally kept as a guest room. Not like many people had guest rooms but it was different for me. “Gosh, I’m so hungry.” His hands find their way to his stomach and gives it a forlorn look. “You haven’t eaten yet? Lunch was 6 hours ago.” He mumbles back. “I haven’t had any food since the start of the day. I ran out of money and food to get here from the country.” His stomach subsequently growls and he hunches his back in embarrassment. “Come on then. I know someone with a supply of food to last the year.” 

I lead him to the dorm next door and the smell of steaming home-made ramen hits me like a tonne of bricks. Realization: I’m hungry too. Yuri following behind peering passed my shoulders to catch the heavenly scent. “Yah! Hyung, can I me and my room mate get some ramyun too?” Shindong turns around from the counter and gives me a sheepish grin then spots Yuri. “Oh, you must be our Minho’s new room mate. When’s your birthday?” Shindong beams his signature smile.  “December 5th.” Shindong scoops some broth and adds it into the bowls, readily awaiting with noodle. “You call me Sunbae then okay?” By that time Yuri was already gorging down a mouthful of noodles and slurping away at the soup. “Okay! Sunbae.” He manages.

He slurped away at the noodles, and within a 5 mins had scoffed down about the whole bowl going in for seconds. Shindong stares with his mouth agape. Even he couldn't eat at that pace. Something just doesn't seem right about him. Why was the hoodie strapped so tightly around his head? Was he hiding something? "Yuri, why don't you take off your hoodie? Isn't it constricting." His eyes shoot up and gives me a sheepish grin. "It's just a habit I guess, where I live from is freezing cold and the place also has horrible installation." His attention span is cut short when Shindong finishes refilling it with noodles. I ure had one peculiar room mate. He must've been insanely smart too. I mean going to this expensive private school but coming from a house with bad installation, could only mean cyborg level intelligence. 

 After our dinner we return to our dorms. The lights have significantly dimmed and only the muffled sounds of seniors echoed behind the walls. I bring the keys out from my pocket and unlatch the door. Suddenly I remember something. Yuri’s trailing behind because he had taken extra time to thank Shindong. “Here, that’s your key.” I dangle it waiting for him to cup his hands. He accepts it gratefully accompanied by a bow. 

“Oh, Minho..... could I go  shower first?” He looked like he had escaped the cops and scaled a muddy courtyard scattered with grass thatches. The poor kid probably suffered the whole day. “Yeah, go ahead.” He hurriedly rushes and forcefully s his suitcase from within his room and relinquishes his aching wrist from its jam. 

The shower-head audibly starts and I go into a mental blank as I revise my work. It felt weird, yesterday at this time it would be dead silent. Only the paced ticking of the clock, the scratching sound of pencil on paper and my steady breath. I knew I’d eventually miss that silence, but having someone around wasn’t so bad so far.

After a while of contemplation I hear the sound of Yuri’s room close behind her. I heaved myself from the chair and take a shower. A shower definitely refreshed my system, now all I had to do was get my studies over and done with and I’d be able to relax. The towel is strung over my neck and my shirt still laying on bed, ready to be worn. “Minho, can I come in for a moment?” followed by a knock. 

I was caught off guard. A head of long flowing brown hair cascaded passed her shoulders and shirt clinging to her curves appears. Pink plump lips with slightly tanned skin and mesmerizing darting brown eyes. What was she doing in here? I distinctly remember locking the door, I always do. But I don’t seem like the only one star-struck, her eyes widen and her cheeks flush quickly shutting the door. I was bare chested, revealing all of my torso, wearing sweatpants and a damp towel strung around my neck.

Was that ......... Yuri?


Author's Notes:

Please Subscribe and Comment! :)