Chapter 13: Part 1

Killed in the Shadows

Chapter 13:

(1) Krystal talks to Sunggyu

Sunggyu denies any relationship and rejects her in front of the whole school. Krystal bursts into tears, and Tiffany finishes off her bullying in front of everyone as message that even if she’s not dating Sunggyu, she’s still one of the ‘queen’s.

Krystal starts to doubt everything, but joins Sunggyu and co anyway

 

What if she’s right? What if he’s really using me? What if–

Krystal snarled under her breath and pushed the doubtful thoughts far away. It was unnerving enough to feel Tiffany’s gaze on her back, but now her own mind was turning against her. Act confident, she told herself. Even she’s right, I can still convince everyone that he’s mine.

With that in mind, Krystal straightened her back and smiled winningly as she entered the lunch area where she knew Sunggyu and his friends were sitting. Sure enough, the seven boys were sitting at their usual table, laughing and chatting like they didn’t have a care in the world.

Even though she was on her way to meet the most amazing boy in the world, she still felt alone. She had no friends to back her up the way Tiffany did.

“Sunggyu-oppa!” Krystal called, tilting her head cutely. Without skipping a beat, she slid into the space next to him, making sure everyone could see that they were finally together. Sunggyu turned his head slowly to look at her, an adorably confused expression on his face. “Oppa, I need to ask you something. Please?”

Sunggyu didn’t look too pleased with her interruption but he motioned for the others to be quiet. “What do you want?”

“Do you…” Krystal hesitated and her lips nervously. “Do you know who I am?”

Sunggyu gave her a strange, crooked smile. “Of course I do,” he told her.

Once upon a time, that smile would have sent her heart fluttering, but her nerves were getting the better of her. “Tell me.”

The smile drooped a little but he answered confidently. “Tell me why you want to know?” Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a small movement at the doorway.

“I just…please, Sunggyu-oppa, please.”

“You’re my girlfriend.”

----

“I know who you are.” Sunggyu smiled, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “You’re the girl who keeps calling herself my girlfriend.”

“Am I?” she breathed.

He ignored her, and his voice grew louder. Kim Sunggyu was sick of the rumours; he was a single man, and he wanted to stay that way. “You’re the girl who spread rumours about being my girlfriend. You’re the girl who pretends to be American so you can be like Tiffany. You’re the girl I used to get rid of Tiffany.”

----

“Can you do me a favour, please?” Krystal begged.

Sunggyu shrugged. “Depends what you want.”

“Can you…can you please pretend that you are actually my boyfriend, just for today?” Krystal swallowed nervously. “And then tomorrow or something we can break up.”

Sunggyu snorted and raised an eyebrow. “Why do you want me to do this?”

“I just…” Krystal faltered. “Please, can you do it?”