Chapter 12: Part 4

Killed in the Shadows

(4) Soomin is mean to Krystal

“Yah! Jung Soojung!” Someone hammered on my bedroom door, impatient to get in. “YAH! KRYSTAL JUNG! OPEN UP!”

Reluctantly, I rolled off the bed and got to my feet. I eyed the sea of used tissues littering the floor, but decided that cleaning my room could wait for another week or so. In the bin I spied multiple pictures viciously torn up, while speakers blasted loud music from the corner.

“I said, OPEN UP!” the voice screamed, knocking on the door so violently it rattled. I wiped my tears away and paused the music, before letting the door swing open to reveal my furious older sister. My almost-twin sisters had been born on separate days, thanks to a long and difficult labour, and Jung Soomin was the easily irritable, know-it-all older of the two. But even though I was closer to Jessica than Soomin, no one else was available at the moment.

“What do you want?” I demanded, cursing the way my nasal voice. I knew I looked horrible, judging from the way Soomin peered suspiciously at me, and behind me, my messy bedroom. “I’m busy.”

I was half-hoping that she would come in and comfort me, like a real sister, but instead, Soomin scoffed and said, “You think you’re busy? Soojung, I’m studying for my college entrance exams!”

I frowned at the use of my Korean name, but I wasn’t mentally or emotionally prepared for another argument. “I’m sorry.”

“If you’re really sorry, turn off that stupid music,” Soomin snarled. “I can’t hear myself think with that crap, and I need to think right now, okay?”

“Alright.” But I don’t want to think, I wanted to tell her, but there was no arguing with an angry, studying Jung Soomin.

“Besides, what are you busy with anyway?” Soomin ducked into the room, sceptically appraising the room. “You’re finished with your exams.”

“I know.”