Chapter 1

A Secret Relationship Away From Seoul

 

It was a beautiful Monday morning, birds chirping, a clear blue sky, and a breeze coming in through your slightly opened window. Let’s just say it’s a typical August morning. You took out your phone and waited for the usual *bing* followed by your boyfriend’s text message.

7:40 A.M, he should be here soon.

Unconsciously, your gaze drifted to the new bruise on your arm, which was an ugly purple color. You let out a sigh and quickly slipped on a cardigan to cover it up.

*bing*

From: Kai

I’m outside.

You grabbed your backpack and headed out the door. There was your boyfriend leaning on his motorcycle. He greeted you with a rare smile.

“Good morning, Hyeyeonnie.”

“Good morning…”

The two of you hopped onto the motorcycle and like usual, you would wrap your arms tightly around his waist. You closed your eyes and inhaled his scent.

Please let him be in a good mood today.

It wasn’t long until you two reached the campus of Seoul University. There standing at the parking lot was your best friend Kim Nana. She would wait for you every morning to check if everything is alright.

“Hyeyeon-ah, good morning!” she gushed as she pulled you into a tight hug. She glanced at Kai before whispering in your ear, “He didn’t do anything to you over the weekend, right?”

You gently squeezed her arms for reassurance, “I’m fine.” You inconspicuously pulled down the sleeves of your blue cardigan even lower to fully conceal the purple blotch.

Nana grabbed your hand and began pulling you inside the school building.

“What are you doing?! I need to wait for Kai.” You looked back frantically.

“Can’t we just ditch him? He is the er in our friendship.” Nana pouted.

Before you could say anything, you were harshly yanked away from Nana. You turned and saw Kai glaring at her. You gulped. Uh oh.

“Did I hear someone say ditching me?” Kai raised his eyebrow.

“No, Mr. Kai. I wouldn’t dare to defy you.” Nana scoffed and rolled her eyes. “And can’t I just walk to class with my best friend? You have her all to yourself anyways.”

Kai simply blinked at her and you were signaling her to stop, but she ignored you and went on. “Kai, she’s yours, and that is a fact that everyone knows. No one is going to hit on her, I mean she’s gorgeous and all, but they know she’s taken. Can’t you just share her with me?!” Nana cried.

You face palmed.

“Ugh, you possessive freak!” Nana stomped her foot. You couldn’t help but giggled. You stopped when you felt Kai’s intent gaze. He hasn’t heard a giggle or laughter from you for a while. That moment was enough to make him melt. A blush crept onto your cheeks as you gazed back at him.

Oh, Kai. You look so warm right now. If only you were like this every day.

“Cut the staring contest and go to class.” Nana huffed.

Kai cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck, looking away. You pouted and wacked Nana gently on the arm.

The three of you made your way to class, and whenever Nana attempted to get closer to you, Kai would nudge her away.

“Stupid jerk. How dare he push me away from my best friend? Now people are staring me like I’m the third wheel. Kai, you er.” Nana muttered as she shot Kai dirty looks.

Kai just smirked and kissed your hair. You were stealing glances at your boyfriend and you frowned.

What am I going to do with you, Kai? You’re a sweet boyfriend, but at times I feel as if I don’t even know you.

 

Little over a year ago, you were still a student at Seoul High. You were sitting under a tree with your best friend for lunch, and it was like the usual, a lot of laughter. Suddenly, a male approached you two and he held out a bouquet of purple tulips in front of you.

“Kai-ssi…” You stood up.

“Hyeyeon-ssi, I really like you. We might not know much about each other right now, but may I please have a chance to bring you happiness?” He blushed.

You turned around and looked at your friend for help. She shrugged and mouthed ‘I don’t know, it’s up to you.’

“Erm…” you accepted the tulips. Well here goes nothing. “Fine.”

 

Your relationship with Kai went well, until this one day. Huffing and puffing, you punched in the code to Kai’s apartment. He was sitting on the couch, waiting for you.

“Do you know what time it is already?” Kai asked coldly.

“I’m so sorry. There was traffic on the way here.” You shifted uncomfortably after hearing his tone.

Kai strode up to you and tilted your chin so that you would meet eyes with him.

“Was there really traffic, or is it that you were too occupied with someone else?”

“What?” You questioned, bewildered.

“I saw you with this guy from our math class afterschool.” He sneered.

“You were following me?” You whispered, hurt.

“THAT’S NOT THE POINT. Now answer my question!” His face was now barely an inch away from yours, and his grip on your wrists became tighter.

“He’s just a friend. We only met up because I asked if I could borrow a novel from him. And there really was traffic.” You explained as you wince in pain.

He let go and sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair. You bit your lips as you massaged your wrists, which was now bright red. Kai grabbed your wrist and you gasped while pulling back a little. He softened. , I scared her. He held you tightly in his arms and whispered, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I just felt insecure when I saw you with another guy.”

You hugged him back. “It’s okay…”

And ever since that night, everything wasn’t the same anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently AFF never restored chapter 1, so this is just a repost. I'll try to update as soon as I can, but school is really taking up all my time. Sorry~!