!

Que Sera Sera

Prologue

 

Jongwoon’s village is called Sulnar, which is just one of many villages that make up the kingdom of Molten F’aire. There are many kingdoms beyond Molten F’aire but none as prestigious or none that would compare to Molten F’aire’s accomplishments, or its beauty.

The King and Queen of Molten F’aire were extraordinary rulers despite the hardships they had had to go through. You see, because Molten F’aire was so developed beyond its years, many outsiders wished to claim it for themselves. Therefore there had been way too many wars and raids in the past, even assassins were organized to kill members of the royal family directly.

However, Molten F’aire did not fall, neither did the King or Queen. After showing intruders that they did not take kindly to opposing authorities Molten F’aire’s residents lived in peace for a few gracious years before the next great war, a war that had come without warning, erupting into a fierce force of enemies who were unafraid of death.

 It was led by a man who referred to himself as the Overlord, a name that would haunt most of the villagers within Molten F’aire for the rest of their lives. The Overlord was the only person who had gotten close enough to a member of the royal family and do damage.

As the Overlord’s group of men grew smaller and weaker, the army of Molten F’aire’s soldiers and warriors had pushed forward with one last attack, claiming a well-deserved however exhausting victory.

However, unbeknownst to them, the Overlord had had one more trick up his sleeve. As the last of his men fell prey to Molten F’aire’s sword, the Overlord had somehow managed to sneak into the royal castle, fought off a large number of guardsmen on his own before entering a royal chamber. The queen had tried to defend her infant but the overlord merely striked her hard enough to knock her unconscious.

When the king rushed up the rooms, his face set in an unhappy frown despite the victory, he found his wife sobbing mournfully into the bloody blanket that had once belonged to his 5 month old son.

The search for the young, baby prince took off immediately, but the body was never found.

Just short of 3 months later a battered messenger rushed into the court yard, his strained voice calling for someone to get him king. He hands a crumpled up scroll to the nearest person before collapsing from blood loss.

Within the note, it’s says,

‘I had underestimated the skills of your men. But be warned, all of you, that when I return, I will have a force so strong, Molten F’aire and all other Kingdoms will bow down and kiss the ground I walk on. Your son’s bones have been grounded into dust, just another ingredient added to my sword. So my king, prepare to die from a blade that contains the remains of your son.

!!

Jongwoon had finally had enough. He slammed the book he was reading onto his bedside table and quickly got off his bed. As he makes his way towards his bedroom door, he grumbles loudly about how thin the walls of their home are. Opening his door, he sticks out his head into the short hallway and yells

“Luna! Jessica! Would you two please just shut up?!”

The bickering between his sisters that is currently going on in the living room is silenced for a brief moment before they start up again, their voices louder and even more frustrated. However, this time instead of arguing with each other, their irritation is aimed at their brother.

“Can’t the two of you act like normal girls and braid each other’s hair”

“Can’t you act like a normal boy and go play in the dirt” Luna fires back.

Despite his previous impatience Jongwoon smiles at Luna’s teasing tone. He’s about to shout something back when he hears a soft shuffling sound. Luna releases an angry shriek and with a heavy sigh Jongwoon quickly ducks back into his room.

“Mom! Jessica is trying to steal my favorite skirt!”

“It’s not stealing if we’re family you idiot. God, you’re so selfish. I just need it to wear tonight at the festival”

“Mom! Mom!”

“You’re such a mommy’s girl” Jessica teases loudly. Heavy footsteps follow and from the sounds of laughter and frustrated yelling Jongwoon imagines that Luna is chasing Jessica around the room. Grabbing his book, he tucks it into a small wooly sack along with a couple of blank sheets and pieces of charcoal.

A loud shattering echoes throughout the house which is followed by a guilty air of quietness. Jongwoon shakes his head, scrubbing his hand over his face as his mother’s stern voice penetrates the thin walls.

“GIRLS! What in name of the Gods did you two lunatics break now?”

On his way out of the front door, Jongwoon passes the three ladies of the household. His mother with her hands planted firmly on her hips, her accusing glare locked sternly on the younger females.

Luna, her short brown curls are rumpled and a bit puffy. She is the oldest and yet still manages to act like the baby of the family. Her lower lip is extended in a way that Jongwoon knows means that she’s only a couple seconds away from whining pathetically, hoping her sad puppy face would deter their mother from handing out any punishments.

Luna is 23 years old, Jongwoon is slowly approaching his 18th birthday and Jessica is the baby of the family, being just 14. Jongwoon analyzes Jessica’s anxious face and the way she’s scrubbing her hands together nervously. It occurs to him that she might be worried that mother’s punishment would prevent her from attending the village’s CanCon Festival.

With a small smirk, Jongwoon continues to head toward the door, but just as he’s opening it, he turns and says,

“How about you take away their privilege to attend the festival. That should teach them a lesson…”

Jessica’s head flips around toward him so fast he’s sure that if he was standing closer to her, her long caramel hair would smacked him across the room.

Her brown eyes blaze with the promise of pain and torture if Jongwoon doesn’t shut up. He momentarily thanks God that his bedroom door had a lock or else Jessica’s threatening gaze would’ve had him begging for mercy in fear that she might sneak into his room at night with a weapon. His mother goes to say something, but he speaks first,

“Anyways, I’m heading out into the…well a more manlier world, where there’s not so much feminine drama”

His mother crosses her arms over her bosom and raises an eyebrow at him while Luna scoffs and Jessica looks like she’s already making up alibis for his untimely death.

!!!

 

I have a long day tomorrow, so I'll post chapter one sometime this week. Bye for now :)