The Chaser ( 추격자)

Quinque's Drabbles and Prompts Galore (Featuring Kris and Sooyoung) [[HIATUS]]

 

I wrote this oneshot while listening to The Chaser on repeat. Having an inspiration song really helps when you’re writing stories. ^^

 

   “I’m leaving.”

“What? When? Tell me so I can book a flight and—“

“No, Kris... I don’t think you get it. I’m leaving....alone. I’m leaving you.”

“WHAT?! Please, bao bei, let me fix this…wha-what did I do wrong? Please—Hello? SOOYOUNG!”

  The Chinese man angrily threw his phone, a thousand thoughts running through his mind. Sooyoung…’

--

  DING-DONG!

 

Kris tapped his toe impatiently as he waited for someone to answer the door. A few moments later, a short woman opened the door. “Oh, hey Kris! What’s up?” She smiled shakily. “Do you want a drink or…?“

“Cut the crap, Taeyeon. Where’s Sooyoung? Where is she going?” He looked at her, his normally composed expression livid. “What time is her flight? Did she leave already?”

Taeyeon waved her hands in front of his face. “Whoa there, dragon dude. One question at a time!”

“Will you answer my questions now? I’m on the verge of breaking down and I can’t—“ Kris slid down to the floor, his hands covering his face. “The personI can’t live without is about to leave me….Please, Taeyeon…” He looked up at her, eyes filled with tears.

“Alright, alright.” Taeyeon huffed. “She’s on the way to the airport now, and her flight to Hong Kong is about to leave soon—HEY! Don’t leave so soon…” She pouted. “I made cookies!”

--

  Sooyoung looked down at her phone. 40 missed calls and 20 unread texts. She chuckled sadly as she thought about their happy memories, and her spirits lifted ever so slightly. She decided to give her sister a call.

 “Hello? Sooyoungie?”

“Taeyeon-unnie, I’m thinking this is a bad idea already, you know…leaving him without a trace, just a cold break-up over the phone,” she sighed and looked down at her scruffy Converses.

“If only I told him awhile ago,” Taeyeon muttered. “He came over here. You should’ve seen him, he was—Wait, hello? Sooyoung? You there, sweetie?”

Sooyoung looked at the screen of her phone again, tears blurring its glassy surface. “H-how can I face him like this…? Unnie, you’re making it harder for me to leave him...”

---

Six months ago

 

  Kris sat on the couch, playing a game on his phone. Every so often, his eyes would dart over to the bathroom door, where he knew Sooyoung was. Five minutes passed, and she hasn’t come out yet.

 He furrowed his eyebrows and knocked on the bathroom door. “Bao bei, is there something wrong?” He was replied by a series of coughs and barfing noises. “Can I come in?”

“No, I’m good—“ Sooyoung barfed again, to the Kris’s dismay. “Must’ve eaten something funny..”

“….Alright then. Need me to get you anything?”

“No need, I’ll be out in a sec.”

He grunted and walked over to the kitchen to get a glass of water for her. Sooyoung was already curled up on the couch, her eyes closed. He sat down beside her and smoothed her hair back.

“Krissie, if I told you I was sick with some freak disease, what would you do?” Sooyoung asked him, her eyes still closed.

Kris sighed. “I’d find a way for you to get better. Wherever you go, I’ll go too.”

“And if I don’t?”

“I’d follow you anywhere, bao bei. Anywhere.” Kris grinned crookedly and kept playing with her hair.

Sooyoung smiled shakily. “Just wanted to know..”

 

---

  Kris tried calling Sooyoung for the last time. According to Taeyeon, her flight was about to leave in an hour or so. He held a duffel bag in one hand and his ticket and passport in the other. He was able to book a last-minute seat on the flight she was in.

 

From: Krissie the Dragon<3

  You do know that I’ll follow you anywhere, right?

 

Sooyoung sighed as she read the incoming text message.

 

From: Piggy Bao Bei <3

  What if I’m already gone..

 

  “Then I’ll disappear too.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened as she heard his voice. She turned around to face him, yet her eyes were cast downward.

  “You never told me, bao bei,” Kris quietly said. “I promised you I’d protect you no matter what the odds are. But how can I protect you if I don’t know what I’m fighting against..?”

“There’s no cure, Krissie,” she answered, her eyes filled with tears. She felt his arms – his strong, warm arms that wouldn’t let even a fly touch her – wrap around her protectively.

“Bao bei…. I won’t let you die.” He felt her thin arms cling to him, sobs racking her frame. “I won’t. Trust me, you won’t die.”

“I-I’m going to see this specialist in Hong Kong... I might be gone for a few days or so,” Sooyoung told him as he wiped away her tears.

He chuckled softly and kissed her forehead. “Wherever you go, I’m coming with you.” He held up his ticket with a grin. “See?”

Sooyoung laughed and clung to him again, burying her face in his jacket. “I think I might stand a chance now, with my dragon by my side.”

--

  “Hey, Luhan, careful with that shovel! Suho, stop putting sand in Kai’s hair!” Kris shouted as he watched his 7-year old twin sons play on the sand with their brothers. Sooyoung sat beside him, rubbing sunblock on their youngest son, Sehun. “Seriously, each of those kids is gifted with hundred times your energy!”

Kris flicked her forehead lightly. “And now we have 11 kids. What a joy.” He chuckled as she rubbed her forehead indignantly. “Hey, it’s not my fault that twins really run in our family!”

He just grinned and pulled her closer. “I thought I was gonna lose you…Ten years after, we’re still standing strong.”

Sooyoung pouted. “Of course, I’m strong! I have my dragon by my side, that’s why!”

“Whatever you say, bao bei. I’m never leaving you though. Ever.”

“Good! I just can’t take care of 11 boys by myself, you know.”