Diagnosed

What really matters

 

The PET Scanning was worse than the MR scanning. The test itself was pretty much the same as the other but this time he had to drink two whole bottles of a green liquid that tasted worse than anything he had ever tasted before. The nurse who gave him it said that it was an radioactive liquid that would show cancer cells clearly, and that it would also make the cells in his brain light up on the pictures they took so they could see the activity.


Ren was completely exhausted when he finally returned to his room. He had hoped to find NU´EST waiting for him, but they hadn´t come back yet, so he was alone. He collapsed on the bed and looked at the ceiling above him for some time before sleep overwhelmed him.

 

The results of the hospitals examinations came the day after, when all of the NU´EST members together with their manager had arrived at the hospital. Ren felt a bit weak because he hadn´t slept much for quite some time. When he laid alone in his hospital bed nothing prevented him from remembering the nights it was his turn to play Baekhos cuddling teddy bear, which Baekho desperately needed to sleep. Right now he would do anything to be in that position, cuddling with Baekho in his bed, instead of being seconds from receiving the final results and diagnosis from the examinations.
The doctors looked so deathly serious.

"We´re very sorry to report out results of the examinations" one of the two doctors began and looked at the other one. Ren felt how his world began to fall apart already.

"The scanning showed an unnatural brain activity centred around the brainstem and cerebellum" the other doctor continued. The manager interrupted:

"And what does that mean?" he asked.

"We´re not completely sure what it means. We know it isn´t cancer but we haven´t had any cases like this before. We need to observe it closely future on to find out more. Right now we are pretty sure you that there isn´t any serious danger if you return home, however if the future examinations shows that the activity is changing or getting weaker...."

This time it was JR´s turn to interrupt.

"So everything depends on how this... this illness or whatever it is develop and act in the future?" he asked and didn´t mind the weird looks the older´s send him because of his informal behaving.

"Yes, that is pretty much it" one of the doctors answered and then continued:

"If it doesn´t change, then you were maybe just born with this abnormal activity level - and at the same time it can still explain why you sometime collapses. I would recommend that you write down every time you faint to locate possible things in you environment that can cause the fainting and haven´t anything to do with you general body condition."

"So what will happen now?" the manager asked again, and kept Ren from opening his mouth by asking questions all the time. Ren himself felt how first one hand then another landed on his back. Only moments afterwards he was in the centre of a warm NU´EST group hug. He couldn´t help but to feel just a little bit relieved.

"We will keep him until tomorrow and then he can return home and continue his everyday life as always with just a few exceptions" the doctor began to answer the manager.

"We want him to write a health journal or diary where he describe his daily routine and symptoms so we have a feeling with his condition. Every second week you will get a full check at the hospital". the doctor told and looked at Ren, who was still nearly covered by the other members.

"And what about my work... my spot in NU´EST?" Ren asked and slowly moved his gaze to his manager instead of the doctor. The manager looked back with pure worry in his eyes.

"Time will show.... I will tell the result of the examinations to the CEO and the chairman and then it is up to them and the rest of the staff to decide what to do" the manager replied and made Ren shallow hard in the process trying to understand what that could possibly mean... what if they kicked him out? The thought haunted him.

"What?" Minhyun yelled and looked at the manager with gigantic eyes "You can´t just kick him out. He is an important member and part of the group. We all are. There is no NU`EST if one of us leaves"

"I know but a sick idol... you can´t have an idol that keeps fainting on stage or is unviable to work, Minhyun" the manager looked a bit more strict than before but still talked slowly and controlled. His words made everyone silent.



"I want to sleep here with Ren tonight" Baekho suddenly said and broke the silence. He looked completely serious and Ren clearly saw the managers eyebrows rising at the sight.

"Are you sure?" he asked and received a nod from Baekho.

"Completely"

JR hold Minhyun back from interrupting and replaying that he would want to sleep at the hospital with Ren too. It made Minhyun look angrily at him, but he obeyed.

"Alright then" the manager decided with a sigh. "You all have two hours before I´m returning to pick the rest of you up. Even with this unfortunate news we still have practice"
With those words the manager left to room together with the two doctors.


"... It sounded pretty bad" JR said and placed himself on the edge of the bed. Ren nodded and looked at his pale hands in front of him.

"Everything´s gonna be okay" Aron said and sounded liked he definitely believed his own words.

"As long as we stay together, we can do anything and handle everything" Aron continued and his words made a cold shiver climb down Rens spine.

"Thanks, Aron hyung" he whispered and looked at his hyung like a lost puppy.

"He is right. Nothing is going to stop us, right?" Baekho yelled and hugged Ren for the two hundredth time since they arrived at the hospital.

"You´re right" Minhyun and JR replied together.

 

 

"He is sick we can´t let him continue as a part of the group" The leaders of Pledis Entertainment looked at each other. This meeting had come out of nowhere together with the sudden discovery of Ren´s illness. They needed to decide the future for one of their newest bands members - an important decision because it would decide the future of the band itself.

"It is logically that he himself would like to continue as long as possible. We all know he would, his manager agrees on that. If it isn´t a serious illness and it will not affect his work future on, we will seem heartless if we kick him out by now" a man on the other side of the table replied the first one only to get followed up by many other statements:

"We will seem heartless no matter when we kick Choi Minki out of the band. If we do it now it is harsh and if we do it because he gets too sick it seems inhumane - especially if he ends up dying"

"No one says it will come to that in the first place"

They disused for a long time before a man that had been silent the whole time suddenly interrupted although he didn´t even raise his voice.

"In those times everyone wants to stand out... Choi Minki´s illness is their concept" the room was left completely silent - the words hanging in the air before the man continued:

"The sickness is our possibility to get recognized both for their talent and their personality. If he gets better, then tats something itself and it will be and add to their name. "

"And what if he dies?" one of the others asked, all the people holding their breath while waiting for the answer.

"Then we leave his spot empty and move on. It will give the group a strong and mature feeling even if they are young. We have nothing to lose "

 

That night Baekho had a hard time falling asleep. He talked for hours with Ren before sleep finally overwhelmed him - but it didn´t last long. Around midnight some strange noises woke him up from his sleep. He looked confused around in the room, before he finally located to sounds to come from Ren´s bed. The slightly younger boy laid with his back turned against Baekho and in the darkness Baekho couldn´t see if he was moving or not. Baekho who lay in the bed beside Ren slowly sat up. He recognized the sounds although he had only hear them a couple of times before. Ren was crying....